Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #781
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
So my thoughts on an EV as a daily commuter (I recently bought one, overpriced as they may be compared to hybrids and plugin hybrids and ICE). My thoughts (I know a lot of this thread is very macro-outlook, mine is not so far-reaching)

Pros:
- it is very nice to be able to have climate control on my phone heat the interior up to a nice toasty 21.5 degrees while the car sits inside the garage. An ICE car would require you open the garage door to do the same thing.
- I've charged it at home every time. Haven't even looked for an EV charging station.
- I haven't checked gas prices once since I bought it. I couldn't tell you if they're down to 90c a litre or up to 2 dollars a litre. I don't care!!
- A typical Calgary daily commute will drain maybe 5-10% of the battery. Level 1 charging is fast enough
- the torqueyness is fun to drive. I don't miss my ICE car which was 5 cylinders and turbocharged one bit.
- I do have some inconvenience playing around between different levels of regenerative braking. Level 1 never feels like enough on most roads, level 2 feels too aggressive. If there were a level 1.5, it'd be just right. So maybe factor in a test drive and try regenerative braking on different EV options.
- fewer moving parts that could go bad. How many times have you had to replace a worn gasket leaking motor oil, or oil filters etc?

cons

- the biggest issue is just finding the car you want. You mentioned wanting a model Y, so factor in how long it'll take for one to actually arrive at your proberbial doorstep. Supply is frustrating right now.
- it's a $55k car that feels more like a $40k car in terms of fit and finish. You are paying an EV premium even with the $5k government rebate. Personally I think the predictable upfront cost is worth not having to deal with fluctuating gas prices, but I don't know if there is any long term saving so to speak.
- Electric bill will go up a bit, but I think overall it's been nothing significant. Electricity is cheap right now IMO.
- if you don't preheat it, it takes a while to warm up on a cold day. ICE cars and hybrids probably heat up faster.

Sorry if I didn't directly answer your question or provide anything you didn't already know

Level 2 charger would only be a necessity if you're driving a taxi or something.

But a 50A circuit to your girage would probably increase home value so it's not the worst investment.
Thanks for the detailed list.
I'm in Vancouver, so the pre heating isn't a big factor for me personally.
My V6 twin turbo eats up premium gas right now and that's getting stupidly expensive; that's the biggest consideration for me to go electric or at least hybrid.
Gas prices are just too insane here and there's also not many gas stations left.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #782
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another thing to look for when looking at PHEVs is that some of them use the ICE for heat. My Santa Fe uses the engine for heating and AC, while also charging the battery. The Prime RAV4 can run in all electric and heat/cool.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:25 AM   #783
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
- I do have some inconvenience playing around between different levels of regenerative braking. Level 1 never feels like enough on most roads, level 2 feels too aggressive. If there were a level 1.5, it'd be just right. So maybe factor in a test drive and try regenerative braking on different EV options.
I know it might still be too recent, but as we’re coming up to winter I’m really curious to know what your experience is with regenerative braking once we get some icy conditions outside. Is it recommended not to use it in slippery weather, or is it fine and the car can use the ABS and traction systems to compensate? Maybe I’m overcomplicating what’s going on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #784
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Another thing to look for when looking at PHEVs is that some of them use the ICE for heat. My Santa Fe uses the engine for heating and AC, while also charging the battery. The Prime RAV4 can run in all electric and heat/cool.
My condo doesn't have any charging but my work does so the Phev makes sense there, but I can't make sense of the added mechanical complexity and points of failure and added weight of having electric and internal combustion together in the same vehicle.

The latest Tesla's have a heat pump for heating, hopefully some of the models in the spring will have that in availability.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:15 PM   #785
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya the PHEVs are definitely a niche market. I do a lot of 500km+ trips and didn't want to rely completely on electric in the winter.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #786
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Ya the PHEVs are definitely a niche market. I do a lot of 500km+ trips and didn't want to rely completely on electric in the winter.
They're the best. I'll take the complexity over having to stop in Canmore to charge my car just for a trip to Louise. We go to Louise 25 times/winter season...that's a fata ton of wasted time charging a car, so a full electric holds no appeal to me.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #787
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/comp...KEn?li=AAggFp5

Have to think Rivian will be pumping out units now
MacDaddy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #788
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I wonder how much is it to just replace the drivetrain out of an ICE? I am only interested in doing what would get the best range with an EV and not any or the other gizmos.

Tesla powered 1966 Chevy Impala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8McUViPbh6M
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #789
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sweet. Not the kind of video I would have expected from Bjørn.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:38 PM   #790
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/comp...KEn?li=AAggFp5

Have to think Rivian will be pumping out units now

I bought in, hoping the stock fairs well. Think I got in too early and it dipped. Here’s hoping they’re successful.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #791
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Tesla powered 1966 Chevy Impala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8McUViPbh6M

I think without the motor noise, the random creaks would annoy me to death. At least I think the noises were from the car and not something else.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:51 PM   #792
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I bought in, hoping the stock fairs well. Think I got in too early and it dipped. Here’s hoping they’re successful.
I'm not seeing the case for why Rivian stock is a good play. Will their valuation be largely based on cache, delivery trucks to Amazon that kind of thing? Because their expected volume is going to be very low the next few years hence low revenue. Hope you do well maybe I'll change my mind going forward.

Are you in it for a quick turn around or long term like 5+ years?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #793
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the irrationality of the markets lately, I think the rational is "well, it worked for Tesla". That doesn't make any sense, either.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #794
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am planning on holding on long term. I think one unknown is how the company will do without the tech evangelist rockstar personality at the helm - will a stable executive in combination with good products prove to be better in the next number of years? Usually it does.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #795
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
I am planning on holding on long term. I think one unknown is how the company will do without the tech evangelist rockstar personality at the helm - will a stable executive in combination with good products prove to be better in the next number of years? Usually it does.
Yeah, Rivian seems to be a better run company than Tesla, but how investors interpret that, I have no idea.

Is Tesla where they are at because of Musk, or in spite of Musk?

Personally, I can’t see myself ever buying a Tesla, simply because if the loonyness of the CEO makes for a few curious decisions in the car itself.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #796
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rivian at least has the backing of Ford, so that makes it better than someone like Lucid. Thoguh I think the share price is too high for Rivian. That probably means it's bound to triple in 6 months.

Rivian's now worth about the same as Ford. That makes less than zero sense.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-11-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #797
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Rivian at least has the backing of Ford, so that makes it better than someone like Lucid. Thoguh I think the share price is too high for Rivian. That probably means it's bound to triple in 6 months.

Rivian's now worth about the same as Ford. That makes less than zero sense.

I have to think a lot of the small players will get absorbed by the bigger car makers
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #798
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I have to think a lot of the small players will get absorbed by the bigger car makers
For sure. It'll be the same way GM bought Saturn out. Stelantis is probably in the worst place of all the majors, I could see them targeting someone soon...
Old 11-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #799
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Yeah, Rivian seems to be a better run company than Tesla,
In what way?
Old 11-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #800
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
In what way?
In that they dont have a lunatic at the helm.