Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #781
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
most of these shootings are due to some idiot not being hugged enough by their parents as a kid or some crap like that.
And then, with seemingly relative ease, they pick up a gun. A gun that, other than for shooting at random stuff, serves no purpose other than to kill. It's what it was made to do. It wasn't made so you can go shoot at a tree, whether that's what you do with it or not. They are made to kill things, and have been from the very beginning.

I have and do hunt, most of the meat I eat is deer/elk/moose. I don't own guns myself but my dad does. We don't need guns to have that type of meat.

People are dying. Because of a bunch of lunatics and idiots.... with guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnabdabber View Post
Oh, the irony.
T&T, you say you have no problem with hunting rifles or shotguns, just handguns and "assault weapons" which, you say, are only made for one thing, killing people.

What are your thoughts on this rifle, the Lee Enfield...

...the most common hunting/sporting rifle in Canada?
They are made for killing things, not people. But people are also things, and get killed by other people with guns.

Last edited by Coach; 05-24-2014 at 11:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #782
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just saying that why accuse the gun when it takes someone to pull the trigger. You don't see people wanting to ban cars when some ####### kills people with them, or ban alcohol, tobacco ect...
There is a giant difference between banning guns and enacting actually useful gun legislation that would prevent nutjobs like this guy from obtaining weaponry to murder because "hot girls" wouldn't have sex with him.

Cars aren't banned--but you have to register it, you have to have a license, you have to pass a physical, prove that you know how to drive it, etc. And if you abuse the vehicle, you're punished for it.

Alcohol isn't banned--but you have to be 21 to purchase it. And you cannot operate a car while under the influence of it. (People do, obviously, but again, there are consequences)

Cigarettes aren't banned, but you aren't allowed to smoke in public places, you aren't allowed to purchase them until you are a certain age, etc.

Will shootings still happen? Yes. Car accidents still happen. Drunk driving incidents still happen. Kids still manage to get cigarettes. You can never stop all problems, you can never prevent every problem, but laws are there to prevent as many as possible. No one is saying you have to give up your hunting rifle, but why shouldn't it be just as difficult to own/operate a firearm as it is to own/operate a vehicle?

This is why I cannot take the NRA seriously. I don't want to ban all guns by any means, but this complete disregard for logical restrictions is ridiculous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #783
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
They are made for killing things, not people. But people are also things, and get killed by other people with guns.
No, they were made exclusively for killing people.

Let's not move the goalposts though, still would like to hear T&Ts thoughts on the Lee Enfield.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #784
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, they were made exclusively for killing people.

Let's not move the goalposts though, still would like to hear T&Ts thoughts on the Lee Enfield.
It just so happened that at the time of the Lee Enfield man did not have M16's or other similar weapons or you can bet your ass they'd be using them instead of the Enfield. You're arguing semantics and trying to make a ridiculous point. What modern army (other than the Canadian Rangers) would distribute a Lee Enfield or like weapon to their troops? None. The fact that the Lee Enfield was used in warfare decades and decades ago is completely redundant. Today, it is classified as a non-restricted firearm. End of story. Most of us aren't advocating for the elimination of non-restricted firearms used for hunting or varmint control. We're talking about handguns, semi auto or automatic rifles with high capacity magazines whose ENTIRE reason for being invented in the first place is to kill people and lots of them at that. But keep trying to derail the conversation.

Last edited by Zulu29; 05-25-2014 at 12:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #785
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, the irony.

T&T, you say you have no problem with hunting rifles or shotguns, just handguns and "assault weapons" which, you say, are only made for one thing, killing people.

I can't speak for T@T, but my thoughts on that rifle are that it was invented in the 1800s to kill people and is completely different than say, a "black" M4 used today.

Not very surprising that someone would be trying to prove an idiotic, irrelevant point like that while they cling to second amendment "right" to bear arms that destroy lives of their country's citizens. An amendment written, by the way, in the times of this gun:
Spoiler!

Not this one:

Spoiler!

On a weekly basis, I read some messed up #### about the US and thank God that my grandparents immigrated to Canada instead of America. Won the ovarian lottery on that one, that's for sure.

"It's because I'm black isn't it?" lol, that's actually a bit pathetic and sad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #786
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

the question is, if guns are like any other object in the house (just like a car), why are they the go-to killing object damn near every single time this happens?

I don't see people posting videos about how they bought a huge SUV to run over people at a party or community event.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #787
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, the irony.

So trying to be a smartass by posting an old military .303 that most of you modern sharpshooters couldn't hit a barn door with?.

I don't have a problem with anyone owning some handguns either.

Last edited by T@T; 05-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #788
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
most of these shootings are due to some idiot not being hugged enough by their parents as a kid or some crap like that. Why didn't we have these mass shootings 40-50 years ago? could it be all the psychological medicine crap that we shove down our throats? I mean, it was only the government shooting innocent people at schools in Texas or Ohio.
Because back then, it was easier to just blow up buildings if you wanted to kill a whole bunch of people.

In the subsequent years, there has been tighter restrictions on effective bomb-making materials, and looser restrictions (and readily available high-technology arms) on firearms.

EDIT:

Wiki article on "Terrorism" in the US.

Up til about 1980, it is almost exclusively bombings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrori...900.E2.80.9359

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g-more-common/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-25-2014 at 03:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #789
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So six cops visit this mentally unstable kid 3 weeks ago because he's posting murder/suicide messages on youtube and they don't care that he legally bought bought 3 semi-automatic handguns(2 of the same model) in the last few months? Not positive but fairly sure when a cop does a search on a person his gun registration is in the record.

Unbelievable red flag totally missed by a seemingly color blind police force.

What an unreal stupid stupid country
Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #790
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
So six cops visit this mentally unstable kid 3 weeks ago because he's posting murder/suicide messages on youtube and they don't care that he legally bought bought 3 semi-automatic handguns(2 of the same model) in the last few months? Not positive but fairly sure when a cop does a search on a person his gun registration is in the record.

Unbelievable red flag totally missed by a seemingly color blind police force.

What an unreal stupid stupid country
He needed to be black. I know that seems like a joke in poor taste, but it's not.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #791
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Started out by killing his roommates with a knife, then did in fact go to the sorority and killed multiple women before wading out in his car and firing at random people. Nine crime scenes in total before he killed himself.

Scary thing is... It went pretty much according to plan. He uploaded this at the same time as his retribution video.

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/225960813

Differences would be he didn't get to spend the kind of time he wanted inside the sorority and he never made it to his brother.
I'm skimming this right now. It's horribly creepy. I'm pretty much the exact age of this guy (a few months younger) but it's terrifying to think there's a person out there who's got the same sex life as me and is just that broken up about it.

This guy was seven kinds of screwed up and at least three types of spoiled.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #792
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Fox News. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/2...mass-shooting/
Old 05-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #793
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Fox news.

Today - Gay impulses.
Tomorrow - he had a small penis.
Next week - it wasn't him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #794
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Fox news.

Today - Gay impulses.
Tomorrow - he had a small penis.
Next week - it wasn't him.
The following week - Obama
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #795
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Sad. But blaming the NRA and politicians is stupid. An idiot with opportunity and a mental problem did this. You literally live in a state with some of the most restrictive gun laws in America. If you have a California ID and wish to buy a gun out of state, you will not be granted one.

ya know I've lived Canada all my life and in Germany and Korea for short stints of my life (early 20s) and it has provided me with a unique perspective. One in which I live in an area with no worry that something like this will ever happen. The reason for this is clear: it's cultural. As cultural as drinking beer is at every event or buying soju because it's cheaper than water. As cultural as Germany being effectively "closed" on Sunday. Every place I can shop isn't open. Even semi-trucks aren't allowed to drive on the autobahn on Sundays. As cultural as blowing off fireworks in the middle of downtown Berlin on New Years while police officers do nothing more than direct traffic because streets are halfway closed down because...beer/wine stands are set up. As cultural as having one of the most densely populated cities on the planet be within striking distance from one the saddest, most reclusive places on earth and not caring at all when that neighboring leader threatens war every year.

The culture in America (and in Canada) is greed and entitlement. *I* deserve everything because *I* have to deal with this. This is *my* right to being who *I* want to be. The sickness festers everywhere. And only the symptoms are half-heartedly treated via fierce words and dormant actions. Slacktivism, really. That's our culture. Mass shootings are a byproduct like corporate greed and people just generally only giving a #### about themselves.

And it's not guns, we just saw here in Calgary someone stab 5 people to death.

Korea especially and, in some cases, Germany just don't act like that. So this will continue and keep continuing. Fingers will be pointed at each other, the media will glorify and overreact with indignation, and nothing will change. The next big media story will come along and attract our ADD-riddled attention spans.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #796
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Glad you mentioned entitlement, its a big problem, and it effects every aspect of so many social problems.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #797
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Corpratocracy is responsible for a me first attitude AND messing up government via lobbying...

Where's my V for vendetta mask? I have to go occupy something.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 05-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #798
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Sad. But blaming the NRA and politicians is stupid. An idiot with opportunity and a mental problem did this. You literally live in a state with some of the most restrictive gun laws in America. If you have a California ID and wish to buy a gun out of state, you will not be granted one.

ya know I've lived Canada all my life and in Germany and Korea for short stints of my life (early 20s) and it has provided me with a unique perspective. One in which I live in an area with no worry that something like this will ever happen. The reason for this is clear: it's cultural. As cultural as drinking beer is at every event or buying soju because it's cheaper than water. As cultural as Germany being effectively "closed" on Sunday. Every place I can shop isn't open. Even semi-trucks aren't allowed to drive on the autobahn on Sundays. As cultural as blowing off fireworks in the middle of downtown Berlin on New Years while police officers do nothing more than direct traffic because streets are halfway closed down because...beer/wine stands are set up. As cultural as having one of the most densely populated cities on the planet be within striking distance from one the saddest, most reclusive places on earth and not caring at all when that neighboring leader threatens war every year.

The culture in America (and in Canada) is greed and entitlement. *I* deserve everything because *I* have to deal with this. This is *my* right to being who *I* want to be. The sickness festers everywhere. And only the symptoms are half-heartedly treated via fierce words and dormant actions. Slacktivism, really. That's our culture. Mass shootings are a byproduct like corporate greed and people just generally only giving a #### about themselves.

And it's not guns, we just saw here in Calgary someone stab 5 people to death.

Korea especially and, in some cases, Germany just don't act like that. So this will continue and keep continuing. Fingers will be pointed at each other, the media will glorify and overreact with indignation, and nothing will change. The next big media story will come along and attract our ADD-riddled attention spans.
Agree with most but not this part, how many people would have died in Brentwood had he had a couple of handguns or an AR-15 instead of a knife?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #799
cancer man
Lifetime Suspension

I haven't hunted since 1998 and going to put my rifles on sale.My wife said to turn them into the police and have them destroyed.
I'am on the fence 13 rifles probable 6 grand worth.Most of them are old never used.
My oldest is 1898 mauser 8 mm.I might just seal the barrel and use it as an ornament.
(But it will break my heart)any collectors?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #800
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer man View Post
I haven't hunted since 1998 and going to put my rifles on sale.My wife said to turn them into the police and have them destroyed.
I'am on the fence 13 rifles probable 6 grand worth.Most of them are old never used.
My oldest is 1898 mauser 8 mm.I might just seal the barrel and use it as an ornament.
(But it will break my heart)any collectors?
This thread isn't the buy and sell section.
Closed Thread