Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What to do with Rasmus ...
Trade him regardless 77 42.08%
Sign him to 8 year contract 22 12.02%
Draw the line at 7 years or trade 7 3.83%
Draw the line at 6 years or trade 38 20.77%
Draw the line at 5 years or trade 27 14.75%
Draw the line at 4 years or trade 12 6.56%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2024, 04:17 PM   #61
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Trade him now.

Andersson should return a 1st, 2nd, 2nd package, and doing that would go a long way in securing our top-10 pick in 2025.

Markstrom -> Traded this Summer.
Andersson -> Traded this Summer.
Mangiapane -> Traded this Summer.
Kuzmenko -> Traded in-season.

You've effectively completed the rip-down component of building a new team at that stage.

You still have plenty of veterans in Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar, Miromanov, Sharangovich, Backlund, Vladar, and Coleman followed by a younger group in Wolf, Zary, Coronato etc. and then a plethora of high value picks in 2024/2025/2026.
Based on what the GM has said, I think this has a 1% chance of happening. Sorry.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 04:19 PM   #62
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Trade him now.

Andersson should return a 1st, 2nd, 2nd package, and doing that would go a long way in securing our top-10 pick in 2025.

Markstrom -> Traded this Summer.
Andersson -> Traded this Summer.
Mangiapane -> Traded this Summer.
Kuzmenko -> Traded in-season.

You've effectively completed the rip-down component of building a new team at that stage.

You still have plenty of veterans in Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar, Miromanov, Sharangovich, Backlund, Vladar, and Coleman followed by a younger group in Wolf, Zary, Coronato etc. and then a plethora of high value picks in 2024/2025/2026.
If Kuzmenko is a legit 35-40 goal, 70 point winger who makes your PP click (which is what he has been for most of his limited NHL career outside the start of this season) I would consider signing him to a 3 year deal. Not sure what he returns for the Flames is equal to what he brings that cannot easily be replaced.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 04:24 PM   #63
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrocket View Post
No one on this team is untouchable, but I don't see how Rasmus Andersson for the next two years at less than $5M per is a bad thing. Even if he walked himself right to UFA and left, I wouldn't move him unless he requests it or the offer is borderline insane.

This conversation really shouldn't happen until the TDL in 2026. I don't have faith in this front office to hit a homerun with a trade (not saying they can't, just saying I don't feel overly confident after Tanev/Lindholm). He seems like a great teammate, an absolute Top 4 D, and one of those pieces you don't move unless he's unhappy here. Throw in his bargain contract and he's the least of my worries.
With no rumors out there of him being available and what the return would be it's hard to speculate what it would take. I think anyone who is in the trade him now group would agree that a late 1st and middle tier prospect doesn't make sense to trade him. This should be common sense as you could get that for him as a rental.

Part of the idea is there is some assumption that can be made that with 2 years left on a great contract that the return is better than what we got for Hanifin. If no team steps up, keep him for a year but I would think a few teams would step it up and offer more than a rental price as he has term left on his deal.

IF we can add a top 15 pick in this draft or a 1st in 25 plus a quality prospect and a RFA that has potential, I would be all over it.

Also, there could be an option for some teams that have cap issues where you get a younger more expensive player than Rasmus and the team adding Rasmus gets the cap space to sign players. Sergachev comes to mind. They are probably wanting to win now and keep Stamkos, Rasmus would be a great replacement for Sergachev, saves them $4 mil and Sergachev fits very nicely into our plans.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:50 PM   #64
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:51 PM   #65
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nope. Keep him around.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:57 PM   #66
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most obvious play would be the Wild, who are in desperate need of an all situations D. Brodin, Spurgeon and Faber could use a fourth guy, as there's not much in the pipeline.

Rossi plus?

You would have to shop for a stopgap player on a short contract, maybe an ekman Larson ish sort.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:05 PM   #67
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1) does he want to stay long term?
2) If yes, for how much?
3) is he willing to sign for less term? (e.g. 6yrs @ 7M)

If the answer to any of these questions is no, start the offers this summer until you get an overpay from someone (Toronto? Utah? Ottawa?)

My preference is that he stays, but need to do what is in best interest of the team. If he does what to stay, great - Weegar and him could anchor our D for another 4-5 years and hope we get another elite young D through the draft to learn from them.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #68
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The most obvious play would be the Wild, who are in desperate need of an all situations D. Brodin, Spurgeon and Faber could use a fourth guy, as there's not much in the pipeline.

Rossi plus?

You would have to shop for a stopgap player on a short contract, maybe an ekman Larson ish sort.
The Wild have shown no signs that they would mortgage the future for now, I think that continues for 1 more year until the Parise/Suter buyout finally drops to a manageable number.

Tampa or Nashville could be a good option. Nashville might want to swoop in and replace McDonagh with someone who is cheaper and younger. They have tons of cap space and are a decent team that might be looking to get better now. They also have their 1st and 3 2nds in this draft.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:17 PM   #69
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rossi has been reported as available in the right situation, and kaprisov has two years left on his deal. Rossi is one of the few I'd stretch for in a trade, otherwise just hold onto Rasmus.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:27 PM   #70
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love the player. Trade him.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 05:39 PM   #71
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Players may like it here, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take the opportunity to ply their trade elsewhere. I wouldn't begrudge Andersson if he wanted to go to a place where he can win.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:43 PM   #72
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not pumped to sign a 30 year old Rasmus to a 8 year 55 + million dollar deal

We have to stop signing 30 year olds long term
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 05:44 PM   #73
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the guy, but considering how old he’s going to be when the team is actually contenders, it seems like he would be an excellent sell-high option. I just wonder about the optics, considering he signed a long-term sweetheart deal here, then we trade him before he gets to UFA….

I’m probably thinking gorganzola when it’s clearly bree time….
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 06:01 PM   #74
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If Kuzmenko is a legit 35-40 goal, 70 point winger who makes your PP click (which is what he has been for most of his limited NHL career outside the start of this season) I would consider signing him to a 3 year deal. Not sure what he returns for the Flames is equal to what he brings that cannot easily be replaced.
If he’s a legit 35- 40 goal guy, he’ll want more than 3 years.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:05 PM   #75
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a job and he is a pro. Players get paid incredibly well and mobility goes into that calculus.

Take sentiment out of the equation and upgrade the roster ruthlessly. If Andersson can get us high value assets plus a plug to fill the hole then move him at peak value. When this contract is done, he’s going to want a long expensive contract and someone will give it to him. Let’s not ‘Markstrom’ this decision. If there is a great offer take it and move on.

Any team acquiring him will be in a contention window or entering one. How is that bad optics?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 06:10 PM   #76
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I love the guy, but considering how old he’s going to be when the team is actually contenders, it seems like he would be an excellent sell-high option. I just wonder about the optics, considering he signed a long-term sweetheart deal here, then we trade him before he gets to UFA….

I’m probably thinking gorganzola when it’s clearly bree time….

I dont think its a mystery that the team are selling at the right price. I think the question is more who wants to stick around.

Kadri may say not interested. Backs may want to go after a cup. Kuzmenko unknown. Sharangovich unknown. Eat bread supposedly wants out. Markstrom probably out. If backs and kadri want out we have pretty much zero center depth.

At that point Anderson may request a trade.

Myself i dont think conroy, the team or anyone else can really say where were heading. If the team comes out a dumpster fire the first two months next year i think most players will want out.

Long story short we will know trade deadline next year if were retooling or gutting but not by choice.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 06:13 PM   #77
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
I dont think its a mystery that the team are selling at the right price. I think the question is more who wants to stick around.

Kadri may say not interested. Backs may want to go after a cup. Kuzmenko unknown. Sharangovich unknown. Eat bread supposedly wants out. Markstrom probably out. If backs and kadri want out we have pretty much zero center depth.

At that point Anderson may request a trade.

Myself i dont think conroy, the team or anyone else can really say where were heading. If the team comes out a dumpster fire the first two months next year i think most players will want out.

Long story short we will know trade deadline next year if were retooling or gutting but not by choice.
I don’t think the Flames are going with the flow. I think they have a plan for the next 5 years and will act on it regardless of how the team does.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:18 PM   #78
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Tbh to address some earlier points in the thread — if you're moving Andersson with two years left, I have a hard time thinking you're not getting, for starters, a pick in the top half of the first round. How can you reasonably say a player drafted that high "likely never plays in the NHL"? If that's the case, why do the Flames employ scouts at all?

If the Flames can get a top-16 pick for Ras, why wouldn't they take it?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 06:37 PM   #79
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If he’s a legit 35- 40 goal guy, he’ll want more than 3 years.
… and would he be worth a ton with that expiring contract, at the TDL.

Canuckleheads sure could have used his scoring touch the last two games. But I guess because Tocchet couldn’t turn him into a checking 3rd liner Kuzy was worthless. Lucky us! Tocchet sure worked wonders with Elias and Hughes - they were physical monsters, imposing their will on the Soilers. Oh wait, that never happened.

Sorry for the tangent. Yeah, trade Rasmus.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:50 PM   #80
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Based on what the GM has said, I think this has a 1% chance of happening. Sorry.
I don’t expect andersson to get traded but I’m guessing the other three are gone
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote