Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 12:57 AM   #61
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Didn’t see any of the game but why was Markstrom playing? Seems like a no brainer to let Wolf get a stretch of games and help with his development.
So tell the whole league they are desperate to trade Markstom while pissing him off (NTC)
Old 04-03-2024, 01:02 AM   #62
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved weegers after game interview. Lots of talk of Rasmus as the next C but I vote Weeger. Damn. That man has his finger on the pulse.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 01:38 AM   #63
sch19lks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Watching After Burner right now. Hell of a job, Scorp
sch19lks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sch19lks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 03:33 AM   #64
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't think starting Wolf would tell the league you are desperate to trade Markstrom. At this point it is about our future and getting him some valuable playing time.

I am a big Markstrom fan, I have his jersey. But both parties have to see the writing is on the wall. He is aging and has 2 years left on his contract, during which we are unlikely to be competing for a playoff spot.

It just doesn't make sense to keep Markstrom unless we can't get any value for him. And the only thing playing him right now can do is lower his value (because he was playing like a top 5 goalie in the league up until the deadline).

The playoff push never made much sense to me, because we have only 3 NHL level defensemen (on a good team). We have a lot of #6, 7 and 8 guys right now, and I think they covered that pretty well on After Burner.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhett44 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 06:01 AM   #65
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t complain much this time of year about a decent effort that just doesn’t work out.

How good is Kuzy? The Flames win that trade if it’s one for one. I’m hope he keeps succeeding and can either be a big part of the rebuild or a big trade chip.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #66
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The loss is whatever.

But I really can't help but shake the feeling they missed an opportunity to sell high on Markstrom.
Its sad, really. A couple teams were really desperate for goaltending at TDL. And for me it's not that his value is plummeting or anything, I just don't think teams will be as desperate in the summer.

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 04-03-2024 at 06:54 AM.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:55 AM   #67
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Its sad, really. A couple teams were really desperate for goaltending at TDL. And for me it's not that his value is plummeting or anything, I just don't think teams will be as desperate in the summer.

So desperate that none of them pulled the trigger on a good one.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 06:57 AM   #68
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsta13 View Post
Miromanov with 25 minutes played tonight. Did not notice him at all, guess that’s a good thing for a defenceman?

Not seeing much of the “rover” d-man we were seeing earlier with the pinches. Wonder if he was told to slow it down/stay back more.
I recall frequently seeing him in front of the net, in the corner, and behind the net in the o-zone. I wanted to yell at the TV for him to get back into position to play defense.
aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:01 AM   #69
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The two goalies that the Devils acquired have 93.4% and 90.9% since being acquired. Markstrom is around 88% in that time.
But then again, the Devils are still very likely to miss the playoffs, so all its doing is worsening their picks.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:02 AM   #70
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So desperate that none of them pulled the trigger on a good one.
"A good one" by whose standards? We will never know what the offers really were, but I'll bet you won't be blown away by the return in the summer.

There were rumored to have at least 2 (or 3) teams to have made offers, Flames turned them down because they wanted to be blown away. It's fine, but if you're expecting more in the summer, I think you're in for a disappointment.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:09 AM   #71
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Moving Sharangovich to centre worked; let's try Kuzmenko, too!

I realize that the Flames will more than likely trade him but it is fun to have a dynamic player like him on the team.
Your probably right. Why would we want dynamic players on the team?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:31 AM   #72
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What's the minimum price you would have sold him for?
New Jerseys 2024 1st and Holtz was an acceptable return IMO.

Maybe not with 50% retention but I feel like Flames should have taken Vanecek back as well and that probably would have been fair.

NJ 1st
Holtz
Vanecek

For

Markstrom (no retention)
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:50 AM   #73
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
New Jerseys 2024 1st and Holtz was an acceptable return IMO.

Maybe not with 50% retention but I feel like Flames should have taken Vanecek back as well and that probably would have been fair.

NJ 1st
Holtz
Vanecek

For

Markstrom (no retention)
My suspicions are that deal was never on the table. I think the core asset being offered was Holtz with perhaps something like a 2nd.
And perhaps with no retention that could have worked. But if the Flames aren't high on Holtz and were being asked to retain on a multi-year deal - probably not enough.

That's some guesswork on my part, but I think the speculated offers like Holtz+1st weren't reality.

So let's say it's Holtz+2nd for a retained Markstrom. Do you do it?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:03 AM   #74
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, but then it's also not a lost opportunity in that case.

I'm basing my assumption on the rumors that a deal was pretty close to being done on 2 separate occasions and that the 1st + Holtz were on the table.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:28 AM   #75
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as they say they are going to compete to the end, I think some of the players have an eye on the off season already. Lots of miscues and felt like a game being played in the preseason or early on in the season.

On a personal note, I managed to win the intermission scoreboard trivia at the dome. An abundant useless hockey knowledge for the win! Now I just have to figure out what to do with a Tacotime gift card.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:36 AM   #76
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There were rumored to have at least 2 (or 3) teams to have made offers, Flames turned them down because they wanted to be blown away. It's fine, but if you're expecting more in the summer, I think you're in for a disappointment.

No, they just wanted a fair return. I'm glad that Conroy played hardball with those teams. You don't want to give away Markstrom for nothing.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:46 AM   #77
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
As much as they say they are going to compete to the end, I think some of the players have an eye on the off season already. Lots of miscues and felt like a game being played in the preseason or early on in the season.

On a personal note, I managed to win the intermission scoreboard trivia at the dome. An abundant useless hockey knowledge for the win! Now I just have to figure out what to do with a Tacotime gift card.
Hehe tacotime gift card?! That’s what you won? That is hilarious.

When we walked in we got a scratch and win ticket game thing. We scratched it off and my son and I won a free 46oz popcorn each. Awesome, right?!

Of course, who really knows off the top of their head how big a 46oz popcorn is… so we go to redeem the popcorn and the lady goes and gets a small bag, fills it a little less than halfway and says this is about the 46oz size (they didn’t seem to have any smaller size present to put it in anyway?), no butter, here ya go. Call me entitled I guess but I’m not sure it’d kill the Flames to, ya know, actually give away #### for once.

Like, thanks, I guess. Just so on brand for this Murray Edwards owned business. >$2B net worth, I made my money off provincial resources, refuse to pay taxes, but want the city to pay for my arena and obscene wealth to become obscenelier.

Taco time gift card is hilarious. Does it expire tomorrow and look like it was in one of the staff’s bedside drawer for the last 2 years?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:48 AM   #78
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Sir this is a Wendy's
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:55 AM   #79
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
"A good one" by whose standards? We will never know what the offers really were, but I'll bet you won't be blown away by the return in the summer.

By any statistical standard.

There were more goaltenders than Markstrom available, many of which were far better than the ones that did move. Why didn’t they move either? Was it also the Flames’ fault?

End of the day, we either don’t know what the offers were and we have to evaluate the trade (when and if it happens) on it’s own merits, or we do know and only then could we be disappointed by receiving less. We can’t not know what was on the table before and still be disappointed if we don’t get more than what we don’t know existed, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:05 AM   #80
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, but then it's also not a lost opportunity in that case.

I'm basing my assumption on the rumors that a deal was pretty close to being done on 2 separate occasions and that the 1st + Holtz were on the table.
If a 1st + Holtz was on the table then it was a miss for sure. I don't see them doing any better in the offseason.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote