Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2024, 02:51 PM   #61
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Relax.
Don't do it.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:52 PM   #62
bob_the_fish
Draft Pick

Location: Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibb10 View Post
Calgary fans: these NJD goalies are specifically the problem, the obvious solution is to trade for a goalie.
Fitzgerald: trades for a goalie
Calgary fans: why did fitzgerald get new goalies?
I'm not too sure that any flames fans are mad a Fitz, more just unimpressed with his GM abilities.

For NJ fans I'd be furious that they had a choice to get solid quality (and under contract) goalie and ended up with a few retreads and expiring contracts.
bob_the_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:52 PM   #63
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Tom Fitzgerald was able to acquire such an irreplaceable Dman for a 5th clearly he is excellent.

NJD traded for Miller, got use from him, then sold him for more.
I bet you totally expected the Devil's to sell and miss the playoffs...epic plan
Old 03-08-2024, 02:52 PM   #64
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Tom Fitzgerald was able to acquire such an irreplaceable Dman for a 5th clearly he is excellent.

NJD traded for Miller, got use from him, then sold him for more.
Except he actually could play defence unlike the rest of that Swiss cheese you got back there. NJ needed to acquire a solid D man, actually two.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:53 PM   #65
dgibb10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_the_fish View Post
I'm not too sure that any flames fans are mad a Fitz, more just unimpressed with his GM abilities.

For NJ fans I'd be furious that they had a choice to get solid quality (and under contract) goalie and ended up with a few retreads and expiring contracts.
I am quite thankful that we did not give away our future for an expensive 34 year old who's been actively harmful to the flames in 2 of the last 4 years.
dgibb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:53 PM   #66
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see the problem, Fitz is trolling other team’s message boards instead of focussing on his GMing.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:53 PM   #67
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am quite thankful that we did not give away our future for an expensive 34 year old who's been actively harmful to the flames in 2 of the last 4 years.
So why are you here exactly??
Old 03-08-2024, 02:54 PM   #68
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except they just kicked it down the road until the season is over. They are still going to trade a piece like Mercer for a goalie come the off season. Be sure to revisit so I can say I told you so.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:55 PM   #69
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary fans: these NJD goalies are specifically the problem, the obvious solution is to trade for a goalie.
Fitzgerald: trades for a goalie
Calgary fans: why did fitzgerald get new goalies?
I just stated what they did, nothing more. They didn't get a solution for next season, they just put a band-aid on this season and crossed their fingers. If you're happy with that, all the power to you. It might work, but they still need to shop for a goalie in the offseason.

I understand you're obtuse, but even you have to realize they didn't solve anything today.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:55 PM   #70
bob_the_fish
Draft Pick

Location: Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
And yet there is still a hole in that part of the organization. I'm not saying that what he picked up won't work, but it doesn't move the needle. Sometimes a GM has to give things up to get back quality.
bob_the_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:55 PM   #71
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow people on here getting obsessively worked up over a NJD troll.

Troll makes a few good points though.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:55 PM   #72
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can see the axe begin to fall over Fitzo
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:55 PM   #73
dgibb10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Again, we are not questioning Fitz bringing in two new goalies, we are laughing because he brought in two new goalies they won't make a difference. As a matter of fact I bet both these guys put up worse numbers than Daws.
NJD is preserving both Daws and Schmid waiver exemptions. And also avoiding overworking daws coming back from an injury.

This is one Calgary flames will be crying about "why didn't we trade Markstrom at the deadline" when his value inevitably plummets again
Old 03-08-2024, 02:56 PM   #74
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #75
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m old enough to remember when dibb10 was telling everyone who would listen that Nail Yakupov would be a multi-time 40-goal scorer and perennial Rocket Richard candidate. The snake oil is strong.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #76
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Goalies are like Running Back in the NFL.

There are some elite ones out there, but their stats are largely a result of the team in front of them. When their backup gets a chance to play, they often look as good as the starter. Smart GMs know not to overpay for them and lock them into big contracts, since a "good" one can often be found hidden on some team's depth chart.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #77
dgibb10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_the_fish View Post
And yet there is still a hole in that part of the organization. I'm not saying that what he picked up won't work, but it doesn't move the needle. Sometimes a GM has to give things up to get back quality.
And he will at a reasonable price. Throwing away futures (Like 22 year old top 6 forwards on their ELC) to go all in with a team decimated by injuries.

If you'd actually been watching devils hockey you'd have realized that goaltending stopped being the only issue in like December and that 1 goalie, especially if you take Dawson Mercer off the roster to do it, wasn't going to turn NJD into a contender
Old 03-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #78
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ironically though, you still don't have a future, because you still don't have a goalie.

It will be fun laughing at the Devils, and Devils' fans, for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for stopping by!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:59 PM   #79
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1766221655360106979

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:00 PM   #80
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
NJD is preserving both Daws and Schmid waiver exemptions. And also avoiding overworking daws coming back from an injury.

This is one Calgary flames will be crying about "why didn't we trade Markstrom at the deadline" when his value inevitably plummets again
Sure, come back here after the off season when Fitz ponies up Mercer. Looking forward to it.