Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #61
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
So much this.

I got my shorts in a twist early on in the Prospect Rankings over the summer because the CP brain trust had Zary tumbling down the order in favor of new shiny toys.

I definitely didn't see this coming and neither did most of CP.
Well he finished 5th! Wasn't much of a tumble especially with the injury to start last season.

How about Pospisil at 21? That's in that Micheal Ferland range for being over looked!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2023, 02:58 PM   #62
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well he finished 5th! Wasn't much of a tumble especially with the injury to start last season.

How about Pospisil at 21? That's in that Micheal Ferland range for being over looked!
Pospisil was a career AHLer in my mind, so his showing so far is really blowing my mind.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #63
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Pospisil was a career AHLer in my mind, so his showing so far is really blowing my mind.
I am expecting him to start fading any time but he legitimately looks better in the NHL than the few times I saw him in Wrangler games.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:01 AM   #64
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder what happens with other seemingly tweener guys like Emilio Pettersen this year.

The Pospisil experience should give management the message that they need to try all of their late-stage farmhands in the NHL to get a true look at what they can do. Sure looks like they've learned translatable skills regardless of their point total in the AHL. Would be a shame to lose some of these players without seeing if they can step in and do the job.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:33 AM   #65
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Other than Coronato being a point per game since being sent down to the minors, Rory Kerins has been nearly a point per game in that timespan as well (7pts in 8gp).
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:23 AM   #66
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Luke Hughes will be Bedard's biggest challenger.
Luke is supposed to be better than Quinn so that's saying something.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:38 AM   #67
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So much this.

I got my shorts in a twist early on in the Prospect Rankings over the summer because the CP brain trust had Zary tumbling down the order in favor of new shiny toys.

I definitely didn't see this coming and neither did most of CP.
1. Wolf 65.3%
2. Coronato 73.5%
3. Honzek (run off, tied)
3. Pelletier (run off, tied)
5. Zary 50.4%

Zary better prospect than Wolf? Coronato showed better in camp and started the season with the Flames, also one year younger. Honzek - yep, new shiny toy. Pelletier should've been on the NHL roster if not for injury.

Zary - tumbling down the order ... stupid CP brain trust...
Old 11-22-2023, 07:52 AM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s just nice to see a Flame even in the discussion. It’s been a while, but this team used to have players in Calder consideration constantly. Suter, Makarov, Newy all won. With Vail and Plett as Atlanta Flames. + Iggy came in second to Berard.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:47 PM   #69
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boomer Gordon had Zary at #2 for the Calder on his NHL Network 1/4 season award show this morning.

Last edited by DoubleK; 11-29-2023 at 02:03 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #70
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
I mentioned before how bad I want to see a...

Pelletier Coronado Zary

...line, but a...

Pospisil Coronado Zary

...line could be interesting too.

(Not that I want to separate Kadri from that line. Maybe a...

Coronado Kadri Zary
Pospisil Andersson

...or...

Pospisil Coronado Zary
Kadri Andersson

...powerplay?)
I hope Coronado is as good as Coronato.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:33 PM   #71
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I wonder what happens with other seemingly tweener guys like Emilio Pettersen this year.

The Pospisil experience should give management the message that they need to try all of their late-stage farmhands in the NHL to get a true look at what they can do. Sure looks like they've learned translatable skills regardless of their point total in the AHL. Would be a shame to lose some of these players without seeing if they can step in and do the job.
'Old' school hockey guys like Sutter believe there is some giant chasm between AHL players and NHL players. But just like there is little difference between the 11th forward and 12th forward on an NHL team - there is likely little difference between the 13th forward in the NHL and the 14th forward in the AHL. Or even the 10th forward and the 17th forward

In all likelihood they are basically going to be the same level of player so there is such little downside to giving these guys a shot. Otherwise you never find out if someone has a little extra juice and can fill a top 9 role for you because you are so worried some guy might not make the safe Trevor Lewis play and cost you 1 game of 82.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #72
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Boomer had Zary at #2 for the Calder on his award show this morning.
Sounds like an unbiased opinion
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:54 PM   #73
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Conroy said he saw something but the player was often injured so he wanted to give him a chance
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:58 PM   #74
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Less worried about Zary winning the Calder and more interested in him developing into a long term #2C option. If he ends up somewhere in the 0.5PPG+ range by the end of the year while continuing to develop his all round game - I'd say we are more than on track with this development, Calder or not.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:02 PM   #75
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Sounds like an unbiased opinion
Good catch. Boomer Gordon on NHL Network.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #76
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1733907407510671847
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:00 PM   #77
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like how he can be creative offensively yet still knows not to make the overly risky ones, unlike some vets like Lindholm and Kadri. I'm thinking specifically of the situation where the forward brings the puck back to the blue line along the boards in the offensive zone. If Zary doesn't have a safe cross-ice pass, he'll reverse it back into the corner. Whereas, the aforementioned vets most often will try the risky cross-ice pass along the blue line.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 02:11 PM   #78
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a big helping of crow, Zary has been a pro fo sho.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:05 AM   #79
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
'Old' school hockey guys like Sutter believe there is some giant chasm between AHL players and NHL players. But just like there is little difference between the 11th forward and 12th forward on an NHL team - there is likely little difference between the 13th forward in the NHL and the 14th forward in the AHL. Or even the 10th forward and the 17th forward

In all likelihood they are basically going to be the same level of player so there is such little downside to giving these guys a shot. Otherwise you never find out if someone has a little extra juice and can fill a top 9 role for you because you are so worried some guy might not make the safe Trevor Lewis play and cost you 1 game of 82.
I think this is wildly wrong. The gap between the 13th forward in the NHL and your 14th forward in the AHL is, I think, enormous. It might not appear that way in drills, or in measurables like speed, strength, etc.

But the thing that separates the NHL and players in the NHL from the leagues below it and other leagues around the world is that NHL players convert mistakes into goals so, so, so much faster and more regularly than in any other league. Make a mistake in the NHL and you're almost guaranteed to see a high-danger scoring chance for the other team.

And that's what separates guys who can play in the NHL from those who can't: they either almost never make mistakes, or they are fantastic at capitalizing on those mistakes, or - more commonly - both.

Your 14th forward in the A vs. the 13th in the NHL you're going to see guys who just make more mistakes. Consistently.

Last edited by driveway; 12-11-2023 at 09:14 AM.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #80
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I think this is wildly wrong. The gap between the 13th forward in the NHL and your 14th forward in the AHL is, I think, enormous. It might not appear that way in drills, or in measurables like speed, strength, etc.

But the thing that separates the NHL and players in the NHL from the leagues below it and other leagues around the world is that NHL players convert mistakes into goals so, so, so much faster and more regularly than in any other league. Make a mistake in the NHL and you're almost guaranteed to see a high-danger scoring chance for the other team.

And that's what separates guys who can play in the NHL from those who can't: they either almost never make mistakes, or they are fantastic at capitalizing on those mistakes, or - more commonly - both.

Your 14th forward in the A vs. the 13th in the NHL you're going to see guys who just make more mistakes. Consistently.
I don’t see how that’s true, considering at the beginning of the season it was the difference between Duehr and Zary, and look at them now.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote