Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2022, 09:16 PM   #61
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

sometimes?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:17 PM   #62
Chi-Town Hustler
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloob12 View Post
You’re right. The playoff he had was so-so and not worth talking about.
Go fellate him if you love him so much. Geez.

Go Flams
Chi-Town Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #63
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last season the Oilers got swept in round 1 and Ron and the panel were talking about McDavid multiple times during the final.

Ron even suggested to Gary Bettman that he McDavid wasn't there because of poor officiating
Old 06-15-2022, 09:21 PM   #64
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
The news on the layoffs seems dated to 2020?

Whoops, my bad! That’s the only non-paywall story I found and I clearly didn’t look at a date. I’ve seen a lot of Athletic peeps tweet about getting cut but I guess no one has covered it to explain the full extent.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:32 PM   #65
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town Hustler View Post
Go fellate him if you love him so much. Geez.

Go Flams

Nice response, so well thought out. Broadcasters should be talking about the best players in the game, especially when they and their teams excel—be it McDavid, Makar, Kucherov or whomever. That doesn’t make them Oilers homers or biased towards a specific team, despite what a few opposing fans with easily hurt feelings might say.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggyloob12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 09:41 PM   #66
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice response, so well thought out. Broadcasters should be talking about the best players in the game, especially when they and their teams excel—be it McDavid, Makar, Kucherov or whomever. That doesn’t make them Oilers homers or biased towards a specific team, despite what a few opposing fans with easily hurt feelings might say.
how about when they miss the playoffs or get swept in the first round

Its not a Flames fan thing, there are complaints all over the internet that RSN are massive Oiler homers...because they are

Ron said to Gary Bettman that he has a problem with officiating because "Mcdavid and Draisaitl aren't here" during the finals in a year the Oilers were swept in round one.

Its not "hurt feelings" there are complaints all over the internet the Oilers get way too much air time for a team that has never won anything.

Has there ever been a player that has never won a game past the 2nd round who gets talked about like one of the greatest of all time? For christ sake they still call them the "young Oilers" despite being one of the leagues oldest teams
Old 06-15-2022, 09:42 PM   #67
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It does when they discuss such players during a game that they aren't involved in. There is no need to mention McDavid when Colorado is playing against St. Louis, which they did numerous times this year.

And Strombo is 10 times the interviewer than Ron MacLean ever has been or ever will be. He actually asked a question and then let the experts expand on it and the commentators appreciated that.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 09:47 PM   #68
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the Don cherry you people incident I have found that I have slowly run out of patience with Ron and I’d be fine if they moved on from him.

I am trying to imagine what rogers would do with the fan if they lost the flames rights? Would you keep it all sports with your only content being blue jays baseball? If they moved away from sports then what - we have an all news channel, a local talk channel with needs and traffic on the 10’s and a comedy channel
Old 06-15-2022, 11:04 PM   #69
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Since the Don cherry you people incident I have found that I have slowly run out of patience with Ron and I’d be fine if they moved on from him.

I am trying to imagine what rogers would do with the fan if they lost the flames rights? Would you keep it all sports with your only content being blue jays baseball? If they moved away from sports then what - we have an all news channel, a local talk channel with needs and traffic on the 10’s and a comedy channel
They would shut it down. Radio silence.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:08 PM   #70
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Ron has not been the same since they fired Grapes.
That's because he only ever looked good by contrast.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #71
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I disagree, I think they didnt give him a very fair chance. He wasnt great, but he wasnt really given much of an opportunity to grow into the role either.

But whatever gets Ron off the air is good in my books. He can get a job working for the Oilers...maybe he'll replace Gene Principe in a hot-dog costume.

His schtick was old a decade ago.

Frankly, I'm not overly concerned who they replace him with, between-period content is so terrible lately I dont even watch it.
This is what Rogers needs to hear. We turn the game on and have been forced to change the Channel during intermission or because it's absolute garbage. I didn't really come to the conclusion until late last season that I don't want to listen to any of those guys during the intermission in the playoffs. Then I realized nothing else is on TV unless you're watching murder she wrote or bull#### survivor and that junk.

Long story short, thanks for saving me 100 bucks a month Roger's.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:19 PM   #72
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wrong. They should be talking about the series in front of them, and skimming through the highlights on the out of town. When Calgary and Dallas played they still tried to feed the McDavid bull####. If a guy has the highlight of night, awesome. No issue at all. Talk him up. If he ####s his pants all night so heavily that it fills Leon's diaper they best say it also.

Long story short, thanks for saving me 100 bucks a month Roger's.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:02 AM   #73
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
I have never seen the Oilers bias that many of you speak of. I think many of you just have a hard time seeing the people on tv say nice things about the other team sometimes. Major insecurities
It’s not even an Oilers bias - it’s a McDavid bias. Sports broadcasters play up superstars. The NBA does it with LeBron and Curry. The NFL does it with Brady and Mahones. It would be baffling if the NHL didn’t do the same with McDavid.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:26 AM   #74
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Arrr matey, jump ship and sail the 7 seas where there are no blackouts, 1080p quality and choice of broadcast. Arrrrr.

Your enthusiasm for Long John Silver may be short-lived. Canada now has a "dynamic blocking" problem as a result of a Federal Court Order for any streams of NHL (and other) games during the time of the "game window". Does not seem to be actively in place as yet - at least it wasn't tonight for Game 1 - but it IS a valid order. See details in the thread below:
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=188562
Old 06-16-2022, 01:34 AM   #75
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good. Shut it down.

Amber is fine on HNIC. Make up a new TV channel and put Ball on that calling the Flames.

Keep Steinberg and put Maher back on 66 CFR. Loubardias can do color.

Who would you miss?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:55 AM   #76
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
I have never seen the Oilers bias that many of you speak of. I think many of you just have a hard time seeing the people on tv say nice things about the other team sometimes. Major insecurities
Watch the commentary on Colemans goal minus Friedman, then listen to every other network discuss it. I did and its actually eye opening. They weren't even making sense with what they were discussing, talking about intent, which is irrelevant. In the moment maybe they don't even consciously realize it and they are just pushing the narrative thats been shoved down their throats by the higher ups, but many times they come across ridiculously slanted in one direction that the conversation becomes way too one sided for a national broadcast. McDavid is great, we all get it, talk about him, but this isn't a regional broadcast, content needs to be more evenly distributed when it involves 2 Canadian teams, even if its 60/40, it can't be any 100/0 or 80/20.

In regards to insecurities, my post history on here would tell you that I'll rip on the Flames often, i'm not looking for sunshine and rainbows by the telecast on the team, but I certainly don't want the networks agenda rammed down my throat when I tune into a national broadcast.

If true and changes are being made, you'd think it can't do anything but improve the quality, thats how low it got.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It’s not even an Oilers bias - it’s a McDavid bias. Sports broadcasters play up superstars. The NBA does it with LeBron and Curry. The NFL does it with Brady and Mahones. It would be baffling if the NHL didn’t do the same with McDavid.
Yeah but those players won championships. McDavid is more Dan Marino than Tom Brady or Mahomes.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #78
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense now why Ron was pushing that Eskimos Tom Wilkinson propaganda during HNIC playoff intermissions which I can't imagine was something that RSN was totally on board with. He just didn't care anymore and was going to push stuff that was dear to his heart like the Eskimos and Oilers. I wouldn't be surprised if he resurfaces in some capacity in Oilers broadcasts or working directly for the Oilers. Good riddance to one of the biggest losers in the history of Canadian television.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #79
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Makes sense now why Ron was pushing that Eskimos Tom Wilkinson propaganda during HNIC playoff intermissions which I can't imagine was something that RSN was totally on board with. He just didn't care anymore and was going to push stuff that was dear to his heart like the Eskimos and Oilers. I wouldn't be surprised if he resurfaces in some capacity in Oilers broadcasts or working directly for the Oilers. Good riddance to one of the biggest losers in the history of Canadian television.
They’ll probably just pay him to report on all the McDavid related news around the GTA.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #80
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Last season the Oilers got swept in round 1 and Ron and the panel were talking about McDavid multiple times during the final.

Ron even suggested to Gary Bettman that he McDavid wasn't there because of poor officiating
2017 was when I really noticed it. On nights the Oilers weren't even playing he was looking for every excuse to mention him.

I get he's a good player but focus on the teams who are playing that night.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote