Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #61
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

With this title scheme, they should just make Dune Messiah as well but call it Dune Part 3 and have a trilogy.

That would wrap up nicely.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #62
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

yay
Old 10-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #63
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Dune Part 2 now official.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...el-1235094974/

super happy that there will be a full movie that covers the first book at minimum
Praise the sand! It's coarse, rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #64
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Spoiler!

Last edited by photon; 10-26-2021 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #65
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Go start a book thread if you want to discuss the books. Please don’t spoil them here.
I watched it with my wife on Friday night. She has not read the books, I have.

Without diving into any book specific details, our combined review of the movie was that they did not do a very good job of developing the main characters or the underlying plot, the players in the game, and the general importance of Arrakis to it all. Lots of big scenes and epic music, but very much lacking on detail.

My previous knowledge from the books allowed me to follow along and generally appreciate the cinematography, but my wife was left confused.

For such an incredible story, it was underwhelming that they were unable to convey the depth in a way that can create more than passing interest.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #66
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://defector.com/this-dune-has-no-ideas/

"Denis Villeneuve’s Dune is majestic. There are long, sweeping shots of gigantic structures; sere, gorgeous desert vistas; protracted, meaning-laden silences. It is contemplative, and ponderous, and high-minded. It is all the things I do not want out of a Dune movie."
Old 10-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not gonna lie, I didn’t get much from that article. He seems upset that Villeneuve didn’t add enough “new” stuff or capture the unfilmable heady aspects of the novel.

In fact, can’t really understand what he’s saying. It’s paragraph after paragraph but he doesn’t actually say what he doesn’t like or what he would have preferred instead.

It wasn’t weird enough I guess?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #68
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Not gonna lie, I didn’t get much from that article. He seems upset that Villeneuve didn’t add enough “new” stuff or capture the unfilmable heady aspects of the novel.

In fact, can’t really understand what he’s saying. It’s paragraph after paragraph but he doesn’t actually say what he doesn’t like or what he would have preferred instead.

It wasn’t weird enough I guess?
Strange, this article is very much like Villeneuve's Dune. It's a series of concepts but no real creative ideas.

It's the same difficulty I had explaining my objection to the style and content of the film, while I do respect the film making.

The movie is beautiful, unfortunately it's just a Ghoula without a soul.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-26-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #69
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

That’s the same talk the author uses. Vague but no substance. What does “a series of concepts but no real creative ideas” even mean? Either in relation to the movie or the article.

Saying the set design was bland and doesn’t capture the history and essence of the houses has substance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #70
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’m watching the Lynch version. It’s equal parts terrible and fascinating. It has about an $8 budget and production value is an oxymoron as far as this movie is concerned.

They explain a lot more but I don’t find the characters any better developed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #71
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I’m watching the Lynch version. It’s equal parts terrible and fascinating. It has about an $8 budget and production value is an oxymoron as far as this movie is concerned.

They explain a lot more but I don’t find the characters any better developed.
The best out of a mediocre bunch is probably the Sci-Fi mini-series which has more time to elaborate on things and is more faithful to the book. The Children of Dune sequel is actually pretty good and stars James McAvoy in his first big role.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #72
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
That’s the same talk the author uses. Vague but no substance. What does “a series of concepts but no real creative ideas” even mean? Either in relation to the movie or the article.

Saying the set design was bland and doesn’t capture the history and essence of the houses has substance.
What I want Dune to evoke:

What Villeneuve's films evoke for me:

This is for ME. Art is subjective and I feel like Dune lacks art and soul. It prioritizes grains of sand or pools of water over rich relationships and a depth of universe. The books have this deep, deep richness to it. The Lynch film is totally inaccurate but it has that total Lynch lucid dream weirdness about it. This Villeneuve movie feels like the desktop wallpaper version of those things.

I immediately felt the same about BR2049. I have watched Blade Runner close to 100 times. I have watched BR2049 once and will never watch it again. It has many beautiful shots but very few beautiful moments.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-26-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that's accurate. There is plenty of art and soul in Villeneuve's Dune. Villeneuve creates atmosphere in his movies, and this one has a sort of "bleak, decaying but not weak, constant unrelenting danger" thing going on... the weight of it is palpable on the viewer in a similar way to BR2049. I totally understand the view that that's the wrong atmosphere to be shooting for - that he aimed for and achieved the wrong thing. But to call it soulless or artless doesn't make any sense.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #74
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't think that's accurate. There is plenty of art and soul in Villeneuve's Dune. Villeneuve creates atmosphere in his movies, and this one has a sort of "bleak, decaying but not weak, constant unrelenting danger" thing going on... the weight of it is palpable on the viewer in a similar way to BR2049. I totally understand the view that that's the wrong atmosphere to be shooting for - that he aimed for and achieved the wrong thing. But to call it soulless or artless doesn't make any sense.
Well that's why art is subjective and it's good we can debate these things. Some people can sit in front of a painting in a gallery and be completely engulfed by it while some people will feel nothing for it whatsoever.

I'm just explaining my personal reaction to it and how I had this enormous hope for both BR2049 and Dune but these are not the films nor the director for me. I don't know how to explain it, even when Arrival came out, I had a very adverse reaction to it. The closest I can explain is that watching these films makes me feel like I am being put into a concrete box.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-26-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #75
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'll mention the part I did tremendously like - that was the blood sacrifice chanting scene in the rain of Salusa Secundus.

The Sardaukar priest chanting in the rain with his giant collar really moved me for some reason. I think that's the weirdness and esoteric sci fi I really crave.

That said, the Sardaukar still shouldn't be in this movie in the way they appeared at this point of the story, it undermines everything the Emperor was trying to do.

Then the part where the Baron was hanging onto the ceiling of the room and the cleaning crew came in, it looked just like the costumes of the 1984 Sardaukar and I wonder if that was a homage. I latched onto that scene for some reason.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-26-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #76
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Also I do like that the "slow blade penetrates the shield" is actually visually and logically demonstrated here and works to explain why there aren't really guns in this universe - bullets would have too much kinetic energy to penetrate the shields. Everybody has to fight with blades and then adjust their attacks to get through.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #77
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think the thing about guns was implied. They also didn't explain why there were no computers, which I was fine with. But did they talk at any point about why the lasguns can't be used to just obliterate everyone? I'm not sure that was actually covered.

Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #78
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like it
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #79
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Shoulda been a tv show.

That was a long part one and it was still rushed.

Mehhhhh
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #80
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

90 minutes into the Lynch version and we’re at the end of part one. Villeneuve version will have a much more in depth part two considering there’s only 45 minutes left in this one.

The story is basically identical so far, I’m really not seeing what the guy in that article was talking about when he said the Lynch version was unique. Lynch version is low budget and rushed but doesn’t have anything story wise that’s different.

Spoiler!