Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #61
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #62
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, I am sending thoughts and prayers to all those filmmakers who are visible minorities in hopes that their stories get told and they get an opportunity to be rich courtesy of me......
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #63
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Probably not.

You kind of nailed the point yourself by mentioning Beverly Hills Cop. The same people in love with Black Panther for it's featuring of black heroes, don't even remember that movie.
If people couldn't remember there were black actions heroes before Black Panther, they'll forget about Black Panther too.

Blade, Morpheus(Matrix), Michael B Jordan in Fantastic Four, Many films by Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, Eddie Murphy, Denzel etc..

Black Panther is getting heralded like it's the first time a black actor has been a hero, but that's just not the case.
If all of these other examples were forgotten so easily, it likely will be too from that racial/cultural standpoint.

In 5 years there will be another movie being heralded for finally giving us black heroes.
Isn't part of the significance of Black Panther that the director, writers and majority of the cast are also people of colour? It's not just that he's a black hero.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #64
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Isn't part of the significance of Black Panther that the director, writers and majority of the cast are also people of colour? It's not just that he's a black hero.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #65
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Doesn't Danny Aiello have top billing on Do The Right Thing?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #66
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Do The Right Thing wasn't a big budget super-hero action movie. No comparison. A great movie that cost $6 M to make and did $37 M at the Box office.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #67
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also the point that Do The Right Thing has its cult (if that's even the right word) following, years after the fact, for the same identitarian reasons. So it's not really a counter-example. If that movie got a following for this reason, why shouldn't Black Panther?

Anyway, given that I don't care about any of that, if Black Panther were to come anywhere near a BP nomination it would be clear and demeaning pandering at the expense of any focus on quality of filmmaking. And I enjoyed the movie.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #68
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the expansion to 10 movies for best picture was a terrible idea. I know they did it so that they thought more people would have a vested interest but seeing 10 movies in the theatre between mid December and Mid Feb is too much so people are apathetic.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #69
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I think the expansion to 10 movies for best picture was a terrible idea. I know they did it so that they thought more people would have a vested interest but seeing 10 movies in the theatre between mid December and Mid Feb is too much so people are apathetic.
And I thought the idea of expanding the list was to get more movies with broad appeal into the category. Movies average movie-goers have seen. That isn't the way it's played out, though.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #70
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I can't get excited about the Academy Awards. I left after the opening monologue. That's 10 minutes more than I gave it any previous year.
Wait, I could see changing the channel, but leaving the actual Academy Awards?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #71
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
And I thought the idea of expanding the list was to get more movies with broad appeal into the category. Movies average movie-goers have seen. That isn't the way it's played out, though.
I'm not sure why you would say that. There have been many box office hits with mainstream appeal that were nominated for Best Picture but likely would not have been nominated if the list was restricted to five films per year:

The Blind Side
Up
Toy Story 3
Inception
The Help
Les Miserables
Captain Phillips
American Sniper
The Martian
Hidden Figures
The Post

I think increasing the list of Best Picture nominees has done exactly what it intended to do. Ratings were down this year but how do we know they wouldn't be down even further with only five best picture nominees?
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wait, I could see changing the channel, but leaving the actual Academy Awards?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #73
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That's the first I've heard that, so I'll take your word for it.

From everything I had been hearing it was about seeing a hero that looks like them on screen.
I haven't heard anyone talk about the director or writers, but that could just be me circle of discussion I guess.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #74
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ryan Coogler co-wrote and directed Creed, the spin-off sequel to Rocky, which also made lots of money. His first film was Fruitvale Station, which was a great film about being black in America (based on the shooting of a young black man by a white police officer in a BART station). I'd say he can pretty much pick his projects now. It took him five year from making a low-budget indie to a mega blockbuster for Marvel studios. Pretty amazing story.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #75
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Creed is awesome too. If anyone stayed away from it thinking it was just a lame Rocky spin-off, you're missing out.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #76
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Creed is awesome too. If anyone stayed away from it thinking it was just a lame Rocky spin-off, you're missing out.
Agreed, it's a great film. Arguably Stallone's best performance ever, right up there with his role in Cop Land.

The previous movie, "Rocky Balboa" was also very good. This amazing scene gets me every time:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #77
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oscars biggest problem now is that the vast majority of people only care about 7-10 awards (the big six, plus the screenwriting and musical awards), and those awards are the absolute most predictable since the Oscars come after all the Guilds have their awards, plus the Globes and BAFTA etc...So who wants to watch an overly long, self-indulgent show for which you pretty much know who the majority of the winners you care about will be? The Oscars should consider switching things up and going first so there's a bit more drama/unpredictability to things.

Also with Kobe winning, we have another we can add to the "As many Oscars as Scorsese" list (like Three 6 Mafia for instance). At least, I guess, it's not the "More than Scorsese" list after he got the token Oscar.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #78
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
That's the first I've heard that, so I'll take your word for it.

From everything I had been hearing it was about seeing a hero that looks like them on screen.
I haven't heard anyone talk about the director or writers, but that could just be me circle of discussion I guess.
From people I have talked about in addition to the hero being black it's that Africa and black culture isn't being portrayed as a ####hole. It's a movie where black people are technologically superior to white people. It's also a Meta thing of black people making a movie that is loved by the world.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #79
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Please don't hurt me but I enjoyed Creed more than any Rocky movie I have watched...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #80
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Ryan Coogler co-wrote and directed Creed, the spin-off sequel to Rocky, which also made lots of money. His first film was Fruitvale Station, which was a great film about being black in America (based on the shooting of a young black man by a white police officer in a BART station). I'd say he can pretty much pick his projects now. It took him five year from making a low-budget indie to a mega blockbuster for Marvel studios. Pretty amazing story.
Coogler is also 31 so he's "cool", "hip" and a millenial and he has now done all three of his films with Michael B. Jordan who is going to be the next Rock but with better acting chops. MBJ is going to be a mega star. #whereswallace