Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #61
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
That's not the part that surprised me, it was having the delivery guy jump in and help cook it that had me baffled. Me and everyone I know puts so much emphasis on training that that surprised me. Freshness too, but I know that one isn't the norm, unfortunately.
a) they didn't ask me to help, I had to or else I wouldn't be able to get the orders done. Make sure things are in the minimum state to survive a rush before leaving

b) I had training before, worked in some restaurants and a bakery. They didn't know that though, the place was so poorly run when the head chef/order manager left to go work somewhere else they didn't hire anyone. Well they kind of did, he was more of a rockstar/complete psychopath than a chef, never saw him cook once. It was like working in a zoo with a bunch of animals.

Last edited by AcGold; 02-28-2014 at 02:46 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #62
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely poorly run places. Most would make sure orders come in before they're even open, let alone in the middle of a service.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #63
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I haven't heard any follow up on the original story. For those in the know, what is the usual process for this? Does the place just continue to run along? Do they shut down until brought up to code and fine paid?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #64
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
I haven't heard any follow up on the original story. For those in the know, what is the usual process for this? Does the place just continue to run along? Do they shut down until brought up to code and fine paid?
If this is the first fine, they can continue to operate for now but there will be follow up inspections in the coming days/weeks. If issues aren't sorted during those inspections bigger fines or closures, depending on the severity, can be implemented.

The fact that they got fined at all means that this wasn't their first warning as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #65
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

their food on http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/19126...Garden-Calgary looks pretty gross, just looking at the one noodle dish makes me nauseous. So much potential for abuse with food like that
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #66
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I assume these are the owners? This picture of taken in 2007. Last I was there, I think they were all still there.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #67
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

All the guys are servers. The one lady is one of the owners.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #68
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she is a single mother then this whole thing is ok.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #69
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I worked at Earl's and I can say they are a fairly well run establishment. I think there are health violations at every restaurant, but for the most part I still feel good about working / eating there.

Now, the Safety aspect looking back on it was absolutely alarming. Emptying / cleaning deep fryers with no PPE was completely dangerous. I guess maybe because it was my first Kitchen job I thought it was completely normal, looking back on it, it certainly wasn't. Things have probably changed in 10 years, but that was the norm back then.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #70
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Now, the Safety aspect looking back on it was absolutely alarming. Emptying / cleaning deep fryers with no PPE was completely dangerous. I guess maybe because it was my first Kitchen job I thought it was completely normal, looking back on it, it certainly wasn't. Things have probably changed in 10 years, but that was the norm back then.
Nope, still the norm
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #71
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I think more and more restaurants are opening their kitchens up because it forces a code of conduct.
I love open kitchen restaurants for this reason. The transparency definitely makes you feel more comfortable about what environment your food is made in.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #72
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
if the company isn't making very much money/losing money the food quality is almost guaranteed to be awful. I've worked at one place that was really high end downtown and it was like living in the twilight zone, the whole place made no sense. The dining experience was weird, too many cooks in the kitchen, hardly any customers ever and the food they used was ridiculous quality for how much they charged.
Q Haute, right?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #73
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Q Haute, right?
Not sure about that. I haven't been there in years but Chef Aurigemma is the real deal. That said I've never worked with him so who knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #74
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Q Haute, right?
Sounds like you have something personal against Q Haute

Quote:
I was very underwhelmed - Would not recommend. It all felt super pretentious and forced, and the food was not great (very experimental, which was neat. But the resulting flavors were pretty hit and miss). And it was major $$ too. There are other restaurants I'd rather be spending $300+ at on a dinner for two.
With everyone recommending Q haute and yours is the only one against it your review definately doesnt sound biased at all...
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #75
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha I don't have anything "against" Q Haute, I just didn't enjoy my experience. I felt like it was a total twilight zone place - I didn't get it at all. Totally empty, really weird vibe, and super expensive. I think I'm allowed to give a negative review without it being "personal".

Last edited by Peanut; 03-02-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #76
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Haha I don't have anything "against" Q Haute, I just didn't enjoy my experience. I felt like it was a total twilight zone place - I didn't get it at all. Totally empty, really weird vibe, and super expensive. I think I'm allowed to give a negative review without it being "personal".
because Q haute is the only restaurant in Calgary that's expensive and gives a weird vibe... yeah, it's gotta be them for sure

so is this where it ends? just a "management was mean to my wife" confession? If we're going that route, a starbucks manager 10 years ago was a real jerk to me too when i accidently poured milk into a soy only drink. It scarred me from ever having another Starbucks coffee for life
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #77
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
because Q haute is the only restaurant in Calgary that's expensive and gives a weird vibe... yeah, it's gotta be them for sure

so is this where it ends? just a "management was mean to my wife" confession? If we're going that route, a starbucks manager 10 years ago was a real jerk to me too when i accidently poured milk into a soy only drink. It scarred me from ever having another Starbucks coffee for life
I am fairly confident that no one was mean to Peanut's wife at Q Haute.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #78
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
When I worked at Wendy's they were crazy about the PPE gear around the fryers. And anything hot in general. We had to wear a rubber apron heavy duty rubber gloves and a face shield. That was also 10 years ago
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #79
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I am fairly confident that no one was mean to Peanut's wife at Q Haute.
At that point, I was referring to Fotze's post and the outting of poor restaurant practices
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #80
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

It stands out in my mind as the weirdest and the most expensive that I have personally experienced. Not sure what else to tell you. And I have no idea what you're on about with the "management being mean to someone's wife" accusation.

One of us is showing a bit of "personal bias" related to Q Haute at this point and it's not me...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post: