Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #61
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
2) Rush - Stampede Corral 1982 - New World Man Tour. My first concert and what a concert it was. They are masters of their craft and I do feel a bit smug that even as a zitfaced teen I had good taste.
I think that was my first concert too. The Corral was thick with the aroma of weed.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #62
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think that was my first concert too. The Corral was thick with the aroma of weed.
When we were going in they searched some guy's hair in front of me.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #63
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite concert, hands down, was Edgefest '98 at Race City Speedway. Bands that played either of the two stages that day included Sloan, the Matthew Good Band, Bif Naked, Tea Party, The Watchmen, The Killjoys, Econoline Crush, Creed, and the Foo Fighters. I may be forgetting some others.

My second favourite concert was a Collective Soul show at the Jube around 2000 or 2001. My wife won a meet and greet from CJAY92. We went to the concert early for soundcheck then had a beer with the band in the dressing room before the show.

AC/DC 2001 at the Saddledome was pretty cool. They had the most props and pyrotechnics of any concert I had attended to date.

Warped Tour 2000 at Race City was memorable. Jurassic 5, The Donnas, Papa Roach, NOFX, The Bosstones, and Green Day.

Number 5 favourite concert is probably one from Coyotes during Stampede around 2005 or so. Hurst played followed by Theory of a Deadman. I didn't know what Hurst was until I saw the leadman up on the stage and things clicked. I am/was a big Econoline Crush fan and they played all their good stuff.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #64
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Radiohead @ old mac hall ballroom. It was on the Bends tour. great concert and they brought out music stands to play stuff off OK Computer. After that concert Radiohead were dead to me

Another Roadside Attraction: The Hip were great and so where the mushrooms.

Sam Roberts: again old mac ballroom, wife surprised me @ valentines. was the tour for his first album. played nearly 3 hours, ripped the joint up.

The Hip at the westward club. Tour for the blue album. I was underage and too stupid to know what I was witnessing.

The Cult, can't remember the year, but @ the Dome, and G N R opened.

other good ones, Slow Hand (wow), Stones (wow), Lowest of the Low @ The "Buttlick"
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #65
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinceDay1 View Post
#1 The Who - Northlands Coliseum October 1976. Roger Daltrey was twirling his mike and shooting it out 20 feet over the heads of the audience and then whipping it back. Pete Townsend windmilling his guitar and jumping off PA stacks. Keith Moon was just manic. Entwistle like a statue but shredding on the bass. Best live band ever.

#5 Led Zeppelin - King Dome May 1977. Ultimate road trip. 50000+ people. Jon Bonham Moby Dick drum solo, Jimmy Page playing guitar with a violin bow, lasers on the ceiling of the King Dome. Awesome.
I bow down to you.....two greats at when they were really GREAT
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #66
SinceDay1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I bow down to you.....two greats at when they were really GREAT
One of the fews benefits of being an old fart I guess. Pretty lucky to have seen 2 of the great drummers in rock history. The Zeppelin roadie was a crazy 24 hours. Flew to Vancouver. Bus to Seattle. Scored a nickel bag and some papers at the show. Then made the trip back to Calgary. Been thinking about that show a bit lately as I went with a childhood buddy who just recently passed.
SinceDay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #67
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

1. The Rolling Stones, Saddledome 2005 - I was 14 and it blew my mind to seeing living legends of rock and roll. Had so much fun and got plenty of memories out of it.

2. Megadeth, Corral 2008 (Children of Bodom and In Flames opening) - First time I saw Megadeth. Sweating Bullets, Tornado of Souls, High Speed Dirt... Amazing set list, and great atmosphere.

3. Iron Maiden, Saddledome 2008 - Fantastic setlist, amazing energy and stage performance... Every minute of this show was awesome. The huge walking Eddy is probably the best on-stage prop I've ever seen.

4. Metallica, Saddledome 2008 (Lamb of God opening) -Nice mix of classic songs and tunes from Death Magnetic. Overall just a hell of a fun show.

5. Megadeth and Slayer, Saddledome 2009 - So much fun, my neck hurt for about two weeks from headbanging so much at this one.

Honourable Mentions:

Burton Cummings, Jubilee 2011 - The man still has his voice, and loves to perform. So many classics.

Neil Young, Saddledome 2009(?) - Much like seeing Cummings, just a great evening to enjoy a legend playing through some of classics.

Slayer, Rob Zombie, and Exodus, Saddledome 2011 - Another night of severe headbanging.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #68
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Radiohead @ old mac hall ballroom. It was on the Bends tour. great concert and they brought out music stands to play stuff off OK Computer. After that concert Radiohead were dead to me

Another Roadside Attraction: The Hip were great and so where the mushrooms.

Sam Roberts: again old mac ballroom, wife surprised me @ valentines. was the tour for his first album. played nearly 3 hours, ripped the joint up.

The Hip at the westward club. Tour for the blue album. I was underage and too stupid to know what I was witnessing.

The Cult, can't remember the year, but @ the Dome, and G N R opened.

other good ones, Slow Hand (wow), Stones (wow), Lowest of the Low @ The "Buttlick"

When was that concert?
http://www.ateaseweb.com/live/1993/

Sounds like a Nirvana at the Westward club scenerio!

I think they played Calgary in 1993, I saw them on the Bends tour in 1995 in Vancouver and then saw them again in 1998 at Max Bell. I wasn't aware of the Mac Hall show and drove to Vancouver to see them. Also Bends tour in 1995 was too early for OK Computer stuff wasn't it? I saw them in 1998 when they toured that album at Max Bell. Not as good as Bends tour though.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #69
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok.....found it
http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=radiohead+calgary
Must have been in 1996. Surprised I didn't go again Anyone at the 1993 Radiohead show at the unknown venue in Calgary. They were unknown to me then....
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #70
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the dates may be wrong. Not necessarily in order...

- Coldplay Saddledome 2012: I've always been a pretty big Coldplay fan but had never seen them live. I was holding out listening to the new album until a couple weeks before the show. Then I got really ripped and listened to it all the way through once. I didn't listen to anymore Coldplay until the show and it was amazing. They played in the middle of the arena and at one point came out in sec. 215. The lights on the wristbands going to the music and the confetti was awesome. I was sitting right on the railing at one of the back corners and the stadium looked incredible.

They actually completely messed up in the middle of Warning Sign and had to stop. The whole stadium had a good laugh and it was neat to see some humility from the band. The music was all around top notch, except for that song with Rihanna. It's so bad because of her. If she wasn't in the song it would be miles better.

- Sam Roberts Jubilee 2011: I don't know what Sam Roberts' popularity is like globally, but its likely not enough. The guy (and his band) are so effing talented its crazy. Great energy in the show, he came into the crowd at one point. They crushed every song and played every one I wanted to hear. The opening band (Zeus) was excellent too.

My only beef with the show is the seating in the Jube. I wish I could been up at the front partying. It was so close, yet so far away.

The Who Saddledome 2007?: What is there to say about The Who? I was on the floor and it was a party for sure. We went up to the very front for a bit but were eventually moved back to our seats. Except for one friend who snuck into an open chair and got be front row for Baba O'Rielly.

Even tho Pete Townsend is old and fat, he still rocks it and still looks like he loves doing it. At point he broke a string mid song and literally hucked his guitar back stage. Some roadie probably got domed by it. Daltry was working the spinning mic for sure. It was really cool after only being able to see them in old movies.

The Rolling Stones Saddledome 2006?: The Stones were my favorite band when they came to town and I was actually in a Rolling Stones cover band with some high school friends so we all went (but were all sitting separately). Our lead singer was from England and was the biggest Stones fan I knew (young or old). Through a crazy turn of events his back row floor seat turned into row 3 beside the stage where Keith Richards did an awesome point/dance move at him while rocking to Satisfaction. When I saw him after the show he looked like he just had the best sex of his life.

Such energy from all those old guys though. Pretty amazing watching Jagger do his thing. I'm surprised Keith can stand, much less dance around and play guitar like a boss. The have such a huge band with the horns and the piano etc. Great sound. Probably the last time they'll ever tour. I'm glad I got to see them.

Oasis Saddledome 2008: I know a lot of people arent really into Oasis but they have been my favorite band for a very long time. Listening to Wonderwall for the first time is one of my fondest memories. I think I was six or so at the time so I didn't get it, I just loved it. I was so excited when I heard they were coming to Calgary. And I knew they weren't likely to return so I had to get tickets. I was poor so the tickets were crap. But the music was great and Liam actually sounded really good (he can suck live sometimes). Their show is a far-cry from the Stones or Coldplay, as they kind of just stand there and play, but the music is great.

- Eric Clapton Saddledome 2009?: By a turn of events our 3rd deck seats transformed into "behind the stage" seats where I was 20 feet from Clapton. And although I had to look at his back most of the time the music was amazing. His entire band had their moment to shine, from the drummer to the guy playing the tiny piano thing (which was awesome, he stuck a clothes pin in a key at the end of his solo so it rang. He took a big swig of beer, then pulled it out and kept playing). It's definitely not all about him and that was cool.

HM:

- Fleetwood Mac: I wouldnt have paid to see them, but I got tickets for my birthday. I would pay to see them now. So awesome. Lindsay Buckingham rules.
- Keith Urban: I've seen him a couple times because my Mom is a big fan. Not exactly my favorite genre of music, but there's no doubt the guy is good.
- Alice Cooper: Was my first every concert at the telus convention center. It was a table thing but everyone was at the stage when he was playing obviously. For a guy that used to sell-out stadiums he could have mailed it in but he definitely did not. It was everything you would expect. Lots of leather and creepy things. It was great.

Wow. didnt think that would take so long.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #71
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have only been to two concerts in my lifetime.

1. Kanye West - Glow In the Dark Tour, Credit Union Centre 2008
2. Jon Lajoie - Odeon this past November, not much of a concert, mostly stand up, although he did sing his usual songs.

I would like to see Rush this fall. That would be friggin awesome. I'm also thinking of going to Craven in 2014. There are numerous other bands I wish I could see live, but until they any of them announce a show in Saskatoon I'm bummed out.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #72
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Local Concerts you were sorry to miss?

Husker Du at The National
REM at Mac Hall
Radiohead at Max Bell
Queen at the Jubilee
Nirvana at the Westward

Did Frank Zappa ever play Calgary? Sonic Youth? The Clash? The Replacements?

Last edited by troutman; 05-30-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #73
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post
I have only been to two concerts in my lifetime.

1. Kanye West - Glow In the Dark Tour, Credit Union Centre 2008
2. Jon Lajoie - Odeon this past November, not much of a concert, mostly stand up, although he did sing his usual songs.

I would like to see Rush this fall. That would be friggin awesome. I'm also thinking of going to Craven in 2014. There are numerous other bands I wish I could see live, but until they any of them announce a show in Saskatoon I'm bummed out.
You should see Rush this fall. In fact everyone should see Rush if they can.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #74
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You should see Rush this fall. In fact everyone should see Rush if they can.
I bet they play Tom Sawyer!
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #75
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I remember I was in the Den the night they played Mac Hall, remember hearing it, wish I went.

it was great.

I had a similiar experience in Vancouver with The Who back in summer 1989, while sleeping on the street for the night.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #76
SinceDay1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Husker Du at The National
REM at Mac Hall
Radiohead at Max Bell
Queen at the Jubilee
Nirvana at the Westward

I saw The Clash in Max Bell Arena in 1982. XTC opened. My memory is failing but I think some Paul Weller band was also on the bill. Style Council maybe? Pretty great show.
SinceDay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #77
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post
I would like to see Rush this fall. That would be friggin awesome.

Go. See. Rush.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #78
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I regret not going to see Heaven and Hell here in '07, because Ronnie Dio was dead three years later.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to see Zappa live.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #79
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinceDay1 View Post
I saw The Clash in Max Bell Arena in 1982. XTC opened. My memory is failing but I think some Paul Weller band was also on the bill. Style Council maybe? Pretty great show.
Wow. Just Wow. So jealous. XTC is my favorite band - Andy got stage fright and never toured again.

I think XTC played Mac Hall too - there is a picture there.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #80
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam and the Ants at the marquee in their leather nazi phase.

The Skids at the Nashville Room

The Specials, Madness the Selector at the Lyceum on the first Two Tone Tour

Dr John at the Yale

Dumpstaphunk at the Commodore

The worst would have to be Floyd at the Wembley arena on the animals tour around 77, fell asleep they were so boring, last arena show I ever went to, Sade at some club a few months before her first album came out, the buzz around her was huge as she was shagging the editor of the NME at the time but that b**** can't sing a note, it was worse than bad karoke
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: