Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #61
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
^^^Apparently they avoided any full face or head on shots of the creature i the final cut, as they wanted to dehumanize it as much as possible.
Isn't there a close head shot when it does it's second mouth dealy? I know the best example of that was Alien 3, when the Alien decides not to harvet Ripley cause she is carrying the queen inside her, but wasn't there a similar scene in one of the first two?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #62
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I think a huge part of it also, was it was the absolute peak, of real life special effects using models, miniatures etc. And when you watch the action scenes in movies like Aliens, Predator...etc, the action looks better than CGI does now. CGI still doesn't look natural, and therefore, I feel it isn't as memorable.
Back to what you were saying about CG.

For example, here's a cheesy Godzilla movie but it's all live-action with real models, etc. and I still think it looks a lot better and cooler than a lot of today's CG. At least it feels inspiring that those are real explosions happening and real things that people built are getting destroyed. Mecha Godzilla looks badass in everything it's doing, even when it's just standing still. The jet on the other hand is CG and is intrinsically boring nomatter what it does.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-23-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #63
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #64
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Isn't there a close head shot when it does it's second mouth dealy? I know the best example of that was Alien 3, when the Alien decides not to harvet Ripley cause she is carrying the queen inside her, but wasn't there a similar scene in one of the first two?
There were two scenes in the Alien where they had the closeup of the mouth thing, but you couldn't notice any form of human-like features. I just watched the '79 theatrical release last night, and didn't notice any humanoid features on the alien at all throughout the entire movie. I thought the picture hack& lube posted was from a subsequent movie, and not the original until I actually read his post.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
There were two scenes in the Alien where they had the closeup of the mouth thing, but you couldn't notice any form of human-like features. I just watched the '79 theatrical release last night, and didn't notice any humanoid features on the alien at all throughout the entire movie. I thought the picture hack& lube posted was from a subsequent movie, and not the original until I actually read his post.
The still H&L posted isn't a screencap from the movie is it? I assumed it was a photo from some behind the scenes stuff.

I certainly don't remember any scenes in Alien when it is just sitting there all relaxed with its arms crossed just chilling out.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #66
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The still H&L posted isn't a screencap from the movie is it? I assumed it was a photo from some behind the scenes stuff.

I certainly don't remember any scenes in Alien when it is just sitting there all relaxed with its arms crossed just chilling out.
Yeah that was a behind the scenes shot of the actor taking a break and he took off the translucent cover from the costume's head so he could see and ventilate.

It's very hard to see in the actual film because of the speed the alien moves and the darkness of the film but you can almost catch glimpses of that human skull.

It's gone in the later movies but it was part of Giger's original design which I think was way creepier.

Giger holding the actual costume parts:

One or more eyes on the side of it's head makes more sense though, for a creature that has significantly greater peripheral vision than human beings.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #67
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Hey! We don't know for sure if he died in Aliens. He's still MIA. I like to believe he's alive.
If the aliens didn't get him, I would assume the thermonuclear explosion would've finished him off.

He did have the best lines though:

Ripley: How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?
Hicks: [pause] Seventeen days.
Hudson: Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!* Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...
Ripley: Hudson!
Hudson: ...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
Ripley: Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.
[to Newt]
Ripley: Right?
[Newt apes a salute]
Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?

Put her in charge indeed...
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darockwilder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #68
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I never understood why they cut this scene, it was badass.

Wait, I am positive I've seen this before. I think it's in the special edition of Aliens. I'll have to check it when I get home.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am not crazy.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 04-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I also sleep soundly believing that somewhere out there, Bill Paxton is contributing to the confusion between himself and Bill Pullman.
Ha. I was just thinking that the last sci-fi movie Bill Paxton did was "Independence Day"... low and behold it was Pullman.

Pullman!

He was good in "Frailty" though. The kind of psychopathic role model we can all aspire to be.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #70
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
He was good in "Frailty" though. The kind of psychopathic role model we can all aspire to be.
I had completely forgotten what a great film that was! What an underrated gem.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #71
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Wait, I am positive I've seen this before. I think it's in the special edition of Aliens. I'll have to check it when I get home.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am not crazy.
Wasn't that in the original release? The only thing I remember being different in the special edition was more of Newt's family life before the aliens took over.

There may have been some more stuff with Ripley after she was recovered from being in stasis.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #72
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the aliens box set and i'm pretty positive that scene is part of the special edition. I can check later.

http://www.amazon.ca/Alien-Quadrilog.../dp/B0000VCZK2
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #73
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
If the aliens didn't get him, I would assume the thermonuclear explosion would've finished him off.

He did have the best lines though:

Ripley: How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?
Hicks: [pause] Seventeen days.
Hudson: Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!* Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...
Ripley: Hudson!
Hudson: ...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
Ripley: Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.
[to Newt]
Ripley: Right?
[Newt apes a salute]
Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?

Put her in charge indeed...
Sigh...I know...I just want him to live on in my heart. He was my favourite character, and has been my online gamer tag since I was 13.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #74
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
There were two scenes in the Alien where they had the closeup of the mouth thing, but you couldn't notice any form of human-like features.
Yeah, that's what I thought, I was responding to the 'they purposely didn't do any close shots' comment. Cause I thought there were a couple in the first movie or two.

And yeah, they went slightly away from Giger's original design. Cameron went even further in Aliens. Then they changed it completely in Alien 3 by saying that the Alien takes on properties of it's host when it gestates. The aliens in that one ran primarily on four legs because the first one gestated in a dog. They were faster though and they could climb better. In fact I think it was the first one where they started scrambling on the walls and ceiling. Which became popular in the comics and games.

As far as the skull design, I think it's cool too, but not because it makes me think of absorbing it's victims. More because it could show that there is an ancient evolutionary heritage with humans or other similar biped humanoids.

The absorbing thing seems kinda silly for me unless it's some sort of jelly or we already know that the various members of the species look different from each other.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #75
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Here's a trailer from the UK that fills in a few more blanks.

SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #76
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Here's a trailer from the UK that fills in a few more blanks.
Holy &^&^%&$&&^&^^!!!!!!!
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #77
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Looks like they are doing this the right way.

And (again) I love the original Alien themes in the trailer. The original siren, the title build. Good stuff. Looks like they will do homage while presenting a very good new storyline. Which in my prediction will be a full reboot. Needed because the science has changed, but mostly because there were holes and continuity errors right from the second film. Don't get me wrong, it was 3 and 4 that screwed the pooch the most, but there are problems right from the get go.

And for fun, who thinks that Ms. Meredith Vickers is a synthetic? Sure seems that way and we know that they like to surprise us with one. (3 of 4 films). Although, with all the knowledge out there, it could be the double fake out.

Can't wait for this film!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #78
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:

And (again) I love the original Alien themes in the trailer. The original siren, the title build. Good stuff.
The one thing its missing is the tagline:

"In Space, no one can hear you scream"

Such a chilling and horrifying line.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #79
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I have the aliens box set and i'm pretty positive that scene is part of the special edition. I can check later.

http://www.amazon.ca/Alien-Quadrilog.../dp/B0000VCZK2
It is in the box set, D gun I believe stops firing at 3 rounds? So they know that way is clear. Thats when they decided to come through the roof if I remember correctly.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #80
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

And (again) I love the original Alien themes in the trailer. The original siren, the title build. Good stuff. Looks like they will do homage while presenting a very good new storyline. Which in my prediction will be a full reboot. Needed because the science has changed, but mostly because there were holes and continuity errors right from the second film. Don't get me wrong, it was 3 and 4 that screwed the pooch the most, but there are problems right from the get go.

And for fun, who thinks that Ms. Meredith Vickers is a synthetic? Sure seems that way and we know that they like to surprise us with one. (3 of 4 films). Although, with all the knowledge out there, it could be the double fake out.

Can't wait for this film!
Michael Fassbender is already confirmed as a synthetic. That's not to say Vickers couldn't but 2 would seem weird.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote