Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 04:40 PM   #61
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's annoying all these alcohol free drinks cost as much or more than their counterparts, yet have to pay none of the taxes. Are they really that much more expensive to make?
For beer yes because they have to make beer and then take extra steps to remove the alcohol after fermentation.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 04:43 PM   #62
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
For beer yes because they have to make beer and then take extra steps to remove the alcohol after fermentation.
Sure, but beer tax is $1.25 a litre. Spirits are $13.76 a litre. Is it that much extra? Feels high.

https://aglc.ca/liquor/about-liquor-...-rate-schedule
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #63
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yes, and if I understand correctly, that's also the "taste" challenge.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0211102729.htm

Quote:
Some people find the taste to be flat and watery and this has a natural explanation, according to Sotirios Kampranis, a Professor at the University of Copenhagen.

“What non-alcoholic beer lacks is the aroma from hops. When you remove the alcohol from the beer, for example by heating it up, you also kill the aroma that comes from hops. Other methods for making alcohol-free beer by minimizing fermentation also lead to poor aroma because alcohol is needed for hops to pass their unique flavor to the beer,” he says.

But now, Kampranis and his colleague Simon Dusséaux - both founders of the biotech company EvodiaBio - have cracked the code of how to make non-alcoholic beer that is full of hop aroma.

“After years of research, we have found a way to produce a group of small molecules called monoterpenoids, which provide the hoppy-flavor, and then add them to the beer at the end of the brewing process to give it back its lost flavor. No one has been able to do this before, so it’s a game changer for non-alcoholic beer,” says Sotirios Kampranis.

Instead of adding expensive aroma hops in the brewing tank, just to “throw away” their flavor at the end of the process, the researchers have turned baker’s yeast cells into micro-factories that can be grown in fermenters and release the aroma of hops, they state in a newly published study.

“When the hop aroma molecules are released from yeast, we collect them and put them into the beer, giving back the taste of regular beer that so many of us know and love. It actually makes the use of aroma hops in brewing redundant, because we only need the molecules passing on the scent and flavor and not the actual hops,” explains Sotirios Kampranis.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #64
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.insidehook.com/article/b...rits-expensive

OK, this explanation makes sense for spirits. Didn't realize all the challenges.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #65
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfanforever View Post
Lurking the board this morning, and came across a couple posts related to alcohol, so thought I would throw the question out there - has anyone given up booze? And if so, what tactics did you use, or advice do you have?

For a bit of background, I don't have any dependencies, but as I get older it juts doesn't seem as worth it. Having socialized with booze my whole adult life, I am finding it difficult to go sober, and post pandemic socializing a lot, therefore drinking more.

I recently saw some statistics out of the UK that are showing younger generations giving up booze at huge rates. I think you can see this in all of the non-alcoholic drinks hitting the market.

Perhaps it's just me, but feels like society is slowly turning it's back on booze, and I want in.

Tips and tricks much appreciated.
I've been sober for about 25 years now. Was more out of necessity than choice (was heading down a very not-awesome path).

I used to just order things like "cran and soda" or pellagrino/perrier/etc to avoid drinking pop or coffee all night... but now with the advent of breweries and distilleries actually putting work into and developing non-alcoholic beers and spirits that are worth drinking, the options are much more varried.

This is one of my favourites: https://www.crft.beer
Here's a quality gin option: https://lyres.ca/range/dry-london-spirit

Lots of stuff out there now if you enjoy the tastes of different traditionally-alcoholic beverages, but want to go the no-alcohol route.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #66
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's annoying all these alcohol free drinks cost as much or more than their counterparts, yet have to pay none of the taxes. Are they really that much more expensive to make?
I order Partake from their website by the case.
It's still not cheap but much better than in store, you can get variety packs and free shipping right to your door.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 04:48 PM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I order Partake from their website by the case.
It's still not cheap but much better than in store, you can get variety packs and free shipping right to your door.
Yup, my dad does the same. They are a Calgary company, too.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:08 PM   #68
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've found the last 5 years alcohol has really gone down, especially the last 9-12 months. I'm just not that interested in having a drink that often.

I'd describe myself as sober curious now. I like the memory of a drink, but i've lost my taste.

My debate currently is do i stop drinking altogether? Occasionally I enjoy a good scotch or glass of wine, but often i pour a drink and don't like it.

I feel like the outcome could easily be that I just stop drinking as there is no real upside.

On the other hand I have a bunch of very good single malt (like a '79 port ellen and an '88 laphroig) that I have to finish, plus about 60 bottles of good wine which is nice to open when family is over.

If there was an easy way to sell my booze I'd probably stop drinking, but I'm ok with the occasional drink with family or celebrations!
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:19 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Yes, and if I understand correctly, that's also the "taste" challenge.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0211102729.htm
Finally...science doing something useful!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:12 PM   #70
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Even a Little Alcohol Can Harm Your Health
Recent research makes it clear that any amount of drinking can be detrimental. Here’s why you may want to cut down on your consumption beyond Dry January.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/mos...ins-since-2000

Quote:
Scientists think that the main way alcohol causes health problems is by damaging DNA. When you drink alcohol, your body metabolizes it into acetaldehyde, a chemical that is toxic to cells. Acetaldehyde both “damages your DNA and prevents your body from repairing the damage,” Dr. Esser explained. “Once your DNA is damaged, then a cell can grow out of control and create a cancer tumor.”

More recent research has found that even low levels of drinking slightly increase the risk of high blood pressure and heart disease, and the risk goes up dramatically for people who drink excessively. The good news is that when people stop drinking or just cut back, their blood pressure goes down. Alcohol is also linked to an abnormal heart rhythm, known as atrial fibrillation, which raises the risk of blood clots and stroke.

Alcohol is known to be a direct cause of seven different cancers: head and neck cancers (oral cavity, pharynx and larynx), esophageal cancer, liver cancer, breast cancer and colorectal cancer. Research suggests there may be a link between alcohol and other cancers as well, including prostate and pancreatic cancer, although the evidence is less clear-cut.

Last edited by troutman; 01-17-2023 at 07:15 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 07:47 PM   #71
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by T-Dog; 01-18-2023 at 07:32 AM.
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:16 PM   #72
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Has anyone tried any non-alcoholic alcohols other than beer?

I love beer, but NA beer just doesn't do it for me. I've had vir-gin cocktails before, and the strong juniper taste seemed to carry the main flavours a lot like actual gin. I've never tried it straight up, but I'm curious if there are any compelling options out there.

Sometimes I just want to sip something that has a bit of bite, and isn't water or sweet. Whiskey fills that spot right now, and I'm curious what else is out there.
I bought a couple of non alocholic bottles of wine, and its just not even close to a substitute for real wine, its overly sweet and lacks the same taste.

I have drank non alcholic beers and found some nice ones at some of the restaurants I go to.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:39 PM   #73
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One for the Road, Calgary based brewery. Tried a few of their beers last year and loved 'em, that reminds me, gotta call around and find more.

https://www.onefortheroadbrewery.com...lcoholic-beers
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 08:43 PM   #74
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just came in here to try and score freeze booze again! Alas none to be had.

JK, good on all that have gone sober, I know lots of friends and it's definitely less awkward for each of them they have said. current access to 0% drinks has helped.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:55 PM   #75
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

For people who are 100% sober all the time, how do you kill the mental pain of being alive?

I drink probably about 5 or 6 time a month, usually just to shut my brain off from negative thoughts that persist and build up. I know that sounds terrible, but I couldn't imagine not being able to numb my mind once in a while.

I never get downright drunk, but just buzzed.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-17-2023 at 08:58 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:04 PM   #76
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two months ago I made the decision to stop drinking after 18 years of hard living. I only lasted two nights in a rehab centre, but rather than go to bed that night feeling a total failure I did something I'd never thought of doing and purely out of a sense of desperation I went to an AA meeting. For me it has been a game-changer and has really worked. Its nothing like on TV and its something I wish I had thought to do a long time ago.

http://calgaryaa.org

My first week I went to a meeting every single night. Now I'm going two or three times a week, or more if its been a particularly triggering day. I couldn't sleep for a few nights, so that sucked, but I've noticed now I can get six hours and feel fresh which is awesome.

Booze doesn't discriminate based on any metric, and it felt strangely reassuring to know I wasn't close to being alone in having this savage beast monkey on my back. Also, unlike rehab where nobody wants to be there (staff, clients, etc) AA is entirely supported by the people that attend, thus its people that actually want to be there, and actually want to help you.

Feel free to DM me if anyone has any questions. Part of it is being there for people to reach out to, because it helps with my sobriety as much as theirs.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:33 PM   #77
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done & good luck on your continued journey!
You're gonna need a new username though
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:53 PM   #78
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Well done & good luck on your continued journey!
You're gonna need a new username though

Never. I have the best username on CP, and its not even close.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:01 PM   #79
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Never. I have the best username on CP, and its not even close.
A ####ing exceptional beer.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:28 PM   #80
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
For people who are 100% sober all the time, how do you kill the mental pain of being alive?
Meditation.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: