Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2024, 02:19 PM   #61
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unfortunately, I think Ruzicka may get claimed. I'll be a bit P-Oed if the Flames didn't try to salvage some assets, but maybe he's seen as replaceable enough no teams are offering any?
This isn't a situation where they are trying to sneak him on waivers and I can't imagine a GM would be too lazy to make some calls. Too bad he wasn't showing enough to get a Frost type guy back in return.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 02:35 PM   #62
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. It could be Kylington, or maybe a Wranglers call-up playing on the 3rd pairing as soon next game.

I don't see the Flames carrying 6D, and 12F, which probably means there are more moves to follow, either via the trade route, or from giving more callups a chance.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 02:43 PM   #63
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. It could be Kylington, or maybe a Wranglers call-up playing on the 3rd pairing as soon next game.

I don't see the Flames carrying 6D, and 12F, which probably means there are more moves to follow, either via the trade route, or from giving more callups a chance.
I'm guessing they're clearing roster space for Kylington and Pelletier. If those two are activated and Pospisil returns, that's a 23-man roster right there.

Once a player clears waivers, I believe they have 30 days to actually send him down before requiring waivers again, so I wouldn't expect to see it happen immediately.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:47 PM   #64
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I'm guessing they're clearing roster space for Kylington and Pelletier. If those two are activated and Pospisil returns, that's a 23-man roster right there.

Once a player clears waivers, I believe they have 30 days to actually send him down before requiring waivers again, so I wouldn't expect to see it happen immediately.
That's true, I was just surprised it's 2 guys hitting waivers at the same time. That happened shortly after waiving Duehr, losing Pospisil, and Dube.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:57 PM   #65
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had big hopes for Adam. Sure hope he clears
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 02:57 PM   #66
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While I subjectively think he could have been given a bit of a longer leash in the top 9, I'm not going to be deeply saddened if he gets taken by another team. I still had reasonably big hopes for him at the beginning of this season. Even if he wasn't cut out for a 4th line role, he still could have displayed some more GAF in his game. Jankowski 2.0. Or is he Colborne 3.0?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:00 PM   #67
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well I would take Colborne 3.0 in a heartbeat for sure...that guy was awesome! If only he could have used that big frame of his
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stormchaser For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 03:01 PM   #68
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Flames are good enough soon that guys like Adam can't make the team at all
Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM   #69
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I hope the Flames are good enough soon that guys like Adam can't make the team at all
Then we'd just be complaining about the mean head coach not giving young guys a chance.

I agree for the most part though. I see Ruzicka as Jankowski 2.0 at this point.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:28 PM   #70
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

DeSimone wasn't bad as a third pair D, was he? Especially when he was playing with Gilbert? Admittedly I've only watched bits of the last 7-8 games, not overly noticeable in a good way? I could be out to lunch, just surprised when compared with an Oesterle.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:54 PM   #71
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
DeSimone wasn't bad as a third pair D, was he? Especially when he was playing with Gilbert? Admittedly I've only watched bits of the last 7-8 games, not overly noticeable in a good way? I could be out to lunch, just surprised when compared with an Oesterle.
He was and is a replacement level D. He had several costly mistakes in the Leafs game. Aside from that, he has been rather average. I like his game better than Oesterle. He also looked to have some decent chemistry with Huberdeau offensively during his first call-up.

Code:
Pairing                     xG%       xGF/60     xGA/60    GF    GA    +/-
Gilbert - Desimone         50.0        2.35       2.35     2     3     -1
Gilbert - Oesterle         37.8        1.80       2.97     0     3     -3
Oesterle - Desimone        37.0        1.59       2.72     2     4     -2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 04:08 PM   #72
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames overall team defense is not good. But the 3rd pairing has been exposed far too many times over the past two months. Hasn't really mattered who's been on the 3rd pairing, they get walked, a lot.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:15 PM   #73
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what Conroy’s plan will be if Ruzicka is claimed. Dube is likely gone. Lindholm likely traded by the TDL. That’s 3 players that have been used as centermen at some point this year. If they don’t get any centers back from their UFA trades, they likely have to shift either Zary or Sharangovich to center. Schwindt could be given the opportunity to center the fourth line.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:18 PM   #74
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Every team has their own Ruzicka and Desimone

I doubt they’ll get claim
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:19 PM   #75
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I wonder what Conroy’s plan will be if Ruzicka is claimed. Dube is likely gone. Lindholm likely traded by the TDL. That’s 3 players that have been used as centermen at some point this year. If they don’t get any centers back from their UFA trades, they likely have to shift either Zary or Sharangovich to center. Schwindt could be given the opportunity to center the fourth line.
Zary should be centering a line.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:20 PM   #76
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really surprised Ruzicka was waived. I figured with what I expect to be a bit of a jumble of bodies out - bodies in by the trade deadline, that Ruzicka had more rope. I guess if the organization feels he has had his chance, then that's that. I expect him to get claimed - 6'5" skilled centres with a wart or two always seem to get additional looks for a while. Hopefully he clears, goes down and really works on his consistency. He is practically almost there and has shown the ability to put up points.

I don't think Desimone has been necessarily better than Oesterle, but it doesn't matter too much in my eyes. Neither of them would be claimed.

Hopefully these moves coincide with Kylington and Pelletier being ready to go.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:29 PM   #77
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
This is a good way to look at it. The quality has to be better if the team is going to be better in the long run. Coronato got sent down, where as Zary stayed up. There has to be some expectations there and you kind of hope that Coronato takes that next step that we saw from Zary. If Ruzicka was showing more he would still be here. I remember an interview from the beginning of the year where Huska said they had conversations with him, that he needed to take another step in his game. Being sent down is a good wake up call, and unfortunately it's also a numbers game now with players coming up. Obviously he didn't do enough to make the coaches job harder. Walker Duehr is another one, who was showing flashes last year that he could be a player for us and then he didn't really show up this year. It doesn't benefit the Flames if those players aren't willing to take that next level when the team needs to play better. Too many fringe players isn't good if the Calgary Flames are going to take another step.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 04:38 PM   #78
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wonder if this is an indication that Kylington may be activated sooner than most of us thought. If not and they don’t call someone else up, the flames will be operating without a spare defenceman.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:45 PM   #79
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Wonder if this is an indication that Kylington may be activated sooner than most of us thought. If not and they don’t call someone else up, the flames will be operating without a spare defenceman.
I believe they have 2 home games and then a week off for all star week .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:47 PM   #80
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
This is a good way to look at it. The quality has to be better if the team is going to be better in the long run. Coronato got sent down, where as Zary stayed up. There has to be some expectations there and you kind of hope that Coronato takes that next step that we saw from Zary. If Ruzicka was showing more he would still be here. I remember an interview from the beginning of the year where Huska said they had conversations with him, that he needed to take another step in his game. Being sent down is a good wake up call, and unfortunately it's also a numbers game now with players coming up. Obviously he didn't do enough to make the coaches job harder. Walker Duehr is another one, it was showing flashes last year that he could be a player for us and then he didn't really show up this year. It doesn't benefit the Flames if those players aren't willing to take that next level when the team needs to play better. Too many fringe players isn't good if the Calgary Flames are going to take another step.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote