Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #61
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Input lag would rpobably suck, if you just mean rent a virtual machine. You'd also need one with beefy graphics. Microsoft has some packages with good video cards, but I think they are more aimed at professional apps.
Maybe just delay the output by a couple of seconds to balance it. I'd love to PC game again but can't justify the hardware cost.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #62
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are several cloud PC gaming services; Google Stadia, Geforce Now and Amazon Luna are the bigger names.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #63
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Anyone know the architect that AWS taps for these types of jobs?
Big White Box Buildings with Few Windows Ltd.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #64
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
Can you do cloud PC gaming?
That's basically what services like Stadia and GeForce Now are.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #65
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t work for AWS or Microsoft but I know a tiny bit about this and cloud in general.

At the most basic cloud, you are doing whatever you would do on premise in your own raised floor on someone else’s raised floor and hardware. With the right preparation, you can move your VMs up and down to the cloud as an extension of on premise to create a hybrid cloud.

At the most extreme, some of the things that you can do start to look like magic. Infrastructure as code, auto scaling, auto patching, lambdas that detect code changes and auto replicate, massive computational power, and many, many little tricks to optimize environments. Infinitely scalable up and down too.

On jobs, there are thousands of vacancies and between cloud architects and cloud security, these jobs are highly in demand and will only increase in demand.

Financially, cloud can eliminate capital costs and replace them with operating costs which is usually beneficial to accountants. Imagine never buying hardware again and only paying for what you use instead of trying to guess your environment.

The thing that blew me away was setting up an environment; dmz, app, operating system, database, size and configuration of the environment. A few mouse clicks and there it was, “recommended configuration A”. Wrong one? Delete the environment, choose “recommended configuration b”, and away you go. Minutes of work. This would literally take months to RFP, design, implement, and then find out it was wrong? Return hardware, redo everything…. It’s hard to imagine.

True cloud computing is well beyond using someone else’s hardware though, and yet for many, that’s all they need.

I’ve definitely drank the koolaid on cloud.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #66
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
Can you do cloud PC gaming?
You can, or alternatively use Xbox Cloud Gaming on PC. It saved my ass a few times when my GPU died last summer and I was stuck using a basic display adapter while waiting for the RMA.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #67
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Input lag would rpobably suck, if you just mean rent a virtual machine. You'd also need one with beefy graphics. Microsoft has some packages with good video cards, but I think they are more aimed at professional apps.
Microsoft Azure has a N series (N for Nvidia?) that is GPU focused but yes, this is meant to give you a cloud GPU for stuff like CAD or Geophysics processing, rendering, etc. These are not gaming focused GPUs.

I know a few people that gave up trying to source a videocard this year and switched to cloud gaming like GeForce now.

I have also set up my own private cloud by basically sticking a PS5 in a server rack and then allowing multiple people (who can't find a PS5 on shelves) to sign into it as their primary console. They can then take turns playing remote play with the games everybody buys together.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:53 PM   #68
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Only Microsoft data centres have windows.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 12:09 AM   #69
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Only Microsoft data centres have windows.
Is this meant to be /green text?

If not, this is not true, as someone in the PAM space, I have a fairly good picture of corporate server usage, both in cloud and onprem Windows Server dominates. Generally at least 40% of non-workstation equipment is Windows, but that includes a lot of network equipment and appliances.

Global surveys show 72% of all corporate servers are Windows.

Moving from onprem to cloud doesn't change the OS requirements, AWS offers Windows services.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:15 AM   #70
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just wait until Amazon learns how Alberta powers their Solar plants!

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:06 AM   #71
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post

Spoiler!
Not the author, but I assume it's meant to be a sufficiently obvious joke that green text isn't required.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #72
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Damn! I was hoping Bezos would tap Totally Not Giant Wangs LLP again! Our skyline could use some sprucing up
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #73
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I don’t work for AWS or Microsoft but I know a tiny bit about this and cloud in general.

At the most basic cloud, you are doing whatever you would do on premise in your own raised floor on someone else’s raised floor and hardware. With the right preparation, you can move your VMs up and down to the cloud as an extension of on premise to create a hybrid cloud.

At the most extreme, some of the things that you can do start to look like magic. Infrastructure as code, auto scaling, auto patching, lambdas that detect code changes and auto replicate, massive computational power, and many, many little tricks to optimize environments. Infinitely scalable up and down too.

On jobs, there are thousands of vacancies and between cloud architects and cloud security, these jobs are highly in demand and will only increase in demand.

Financially, cloud can eliminate capital costs and replace them with operating costs which is usually beneficial to accountants. Imagine never buying hardware again and only paying for what you use instead of trying to guess your environment.

The thing that blew me away was setting up an environment; dmz, app, operating system, database, size and configuration of the environment. A few mouse clicks and there it was, “recommended configuration A”. Wrong one? Delete the environment, choose “recommended configuration b”, and away you go. Minutes of work. This would literally take months to RFP, design, implement, and then find out it was wrong? Return hardware, redo everything…. It’s hard to imagine.

True cloud computing is well beyond using someone else’s hardware though, and yet for many, that’s all they need.

Best summary presented. Cloud provisioning is being called the fourth industrial revolution for good reason, it will transform the way business is done. Technologies and services that would have been too expensive for small organizations to access are now within reach. Complex applications that could not run on certain platforms now have ubiquitous access. Limitations on business because of infrastructure requirements or scalability challenges are disappearing. IT shops can now do way more with a lot less, both from personnel and fiscal perspectives. The most important thing, at least from my perspective, is the security advantage. These solutions have security baked in from the start and exceed the most rigorous security requirements, far surpassing what can be done in house by all but the biggest enterprises.

IT is a young man's game and the cloud is really for those who have a very malleable level of brain plasticity. Virtual networking is hard enough to explain to people, using analogies of Christopher Nolan's Inception to explain the complexity and how virtual infrastructure can exist on a single host, but cloud is a whole new ball game. Kubernetes and containerization is like taking Inception and then showing it on a screen with each cell of film being projected from a projector, from a different theatre, from a different city, and then being able to show each individual ticket holder the movie from the start whenever they chose to enter the theatre of their choice. There are no show times ad you get to see whatever cut of the movie you desire. It is a new way of service provision and the technology that makes it all work does appear to be magic. If you can master this stuff, the world is your oyster because there are few people out there that can design and build these systems. Opportunity knocks folks. Crack the books and get at it right now.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 11-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #74
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If not, this is not true, as someone in the PAM space, I have a fairly good picture of corporate server usage, both in cloud and onprem Windows Server dominates. Generally at least 40% of non-workstation equipment is Windows, but that includes a lot of network equipment and appliances.

Moving from onprem to cloud doesn't change the OS requirements, AWS offers Windows services.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
When is the last time you were outside of the box?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #75
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

Almost everything AWS is running Linux, besides the actual Windows instances they provision directly for customers, which is a drop in the bucket compared to all available AWS services.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #76
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Almost everything AWS is running Linux, besides the actual Windows instances they provision directly for customers, which is a drop in the bucket compared to all available AWS services.
Thank you for showing exactly, why I didn't assume topfiverecords post was green text. Amazon's infrastructure is going to be complex and has a lot of Operating Systems, their hypervisors probably are Linux-based; however, their corporate environment will have a lot of Windows Servers, and some of the services they offer beyond their virtual machines they have provisioned.

As for your comment, it's a drop in the bucket, when talking about the % of Linux vs Windows, I don't have the stats on that as I am not an Amazon employee; however, very unlikely.

Last edited by Krovikan; 11-11-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #77
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Let's hire Gus Goreman to run it!

Filmed in Calgary in 1983 - I've always wondered what building that cafeteria is in. Maybe The Edison?

Likely to be Pinewood Studios in England unfortunately. Calgary was only used for exterior Metropolis scenes (and High River for Smallville) according to IMDB.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #78
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you for showing exactly, why I didn't assume topfiverecords post was green text. Amazon's infrastructure is going to be complex and has a lot of Operating Systems, their hypervisors probably are Linux-based; however, their corporate environment will have a lot of Windows Servers, and some of the services they offer beyond their virtual machines they have provisioned.

As for your comment, it's a drop in the bucket, when talking about the % of Linux vs Windows, I don't have the stats on that as I am not an Amazon employee; however, very unlikely.
Their corporate environment is nothing compared to the scope of AWS. It's all Linux. S3 is Linux, the EC2 framework is Linux, Lambda is hosted on Linux, EKS is Linux...
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #79
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright nerds. That's enough.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:26 PM   #80
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post

I so wish I understood even half of this
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
McG