Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #61
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yea I wouldn't mind getting a look at Klimchuk.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #62
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We essentially are playing with two fourth lines right now, the way the Jankowski line has stopped producing
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #63
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Lazar will check in and Lomberg stays up. But IMO both will be on the fourth line with Stajan. I believe GG will go with Hathaway on the third line if for nothing else but familiarity since he's played there a lot. If not, Lazar gets the spot.
While I think that you are correct and Hathaway will be up on the 3rd line, I'd sure like to see Lazar on the 3rd line.

Bennett-Jankowski-Lazar CF% 53 / SCF% 72
Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway CF% 53 / SCF% 55

This means that both lines generate about the same amount of shots-for vs. shots-against. However, with Lazar, that line generates more scoring chances-for vs. scoring chances-against than with Hathaway. The offensive chances are close with either guy. The big difference with Lazar on that line is the scoring chances against are quite a bit lower with Lazar on that line suggesting the Bennett-Jankowski-Lazar is a better line at defensively while generating the same amount of scoring chances.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post
While I think that you are correct and Hathaway will be up on the 3rd line, I'd sure like to see Lazar on the 3rd line.

Bennett-Jankowski-Lazar CF% 53 / SCF% 72
Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway CF% 53 / SCF% 55

This means that both lines generate about the same amount of shots-for vs. shots-against. However, with Lazar, that line generates more scoring chances-for vs. scoring chances-against than with Hathaway. The offensive chances are close with either guy. The big difference with Lazar on that line is the scoring chances against are quite a bit lower with Lazar on that line suggesting the Bennett-Jankowski-Lazar is a better line at defensively while generating the same amount of scoring chances.
I agree. Lazar is a better offensive player than Hathaway, whether he has the points to show it now or not. He seems to create more than anyone else on the fourth line.

My only concern would be that Lazar and Stajan seem to have a bit of chemistry, at least as far as having a pretty effective forecheck is concerned (admittedly with almost no finish). But Lomberg-Stajan-Hathaway might be good as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #65
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Third line needs someone like Hathaway to open up space and create room with the forecheck. Both Bennett and MJ will benefit.

Hathaway is a good skater and is fearless as well as responsible defensively.

Lazar is another black hole on the offence, he’s gripping the stick way too tight and plays with very little confidence.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #66
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Bennett will get his PK minutes im assuming.

Lazar gets his 5 on 5 minutes then?
That is an interesting question. Do you maybe they reunite Frolik with Backlund as the number one unit or keep Frolik with Stajan to keep some balance.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #67
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Yay?
Where are you Jayswin?!?!

Last weekend I jokingly suggested his car might get caught in a snow bank on the way to the Dome and got hammered for it but would never cheer an injury.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #68
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree. Lazar is a better offensive player than Hathaway, whether he has the points to show it now or not. He seems to create more than anyone else on the fourth line.

My only concern would be that Lazar and Stajan seem to have a bit of chemistry, at least as far as having a pretty effective forecheck is concerned (admittedly with almost no finish). But Lomberg-Stajan-Hathaway might be good as well.
When it comes to Stajan with Lazar the numbers are as follows:

Stajan w/ Lazar: CF% 48 / SCF% 48
Stajan w/o Lazar: CF% 51 / SCF% 50
Lazar w/o Stajan: CF% 49 / SCF% 53

Seems like they generate a slight bit better apart. However when you add Lomberg to those 2 versus Hathaway they are much better.

Lomberg-Stajan-Lazar CF% 59 / SCF% 75
Lomberg-Stajan-Hathaway CF% 45 / SCF% 40

I think the time those lines have played together is too little to draw much from those numbers however there is evidence pointing to Lazar being a better fit on either line. I guess for me, at least for today's game, I'd rather see Lazar tried on the struggling 3rd line and know the 4th line could be worse with Hathaway. If it clearly isn't working during the game, it should be an easy decision to swap those 2.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #69
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope Troy takes all the time he needs to heal up to 110%.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #70
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Sad that he's hurt... but glad that he's not going to be playing. Unfortunate as the reason may be the team is better today then it was yesterday (provided GG & tre don't do anything really stupid).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #71
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

People suggesting this makes the team better are silly, and aren't paying attention.
Good opportunity for one of the farm hands to step up. Here's hoping it happens!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #72
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know some people have their opinion on Brouwer but he has been a very useful player as of late. He's been playing better and has been very good on the PK. He is good in his own zone and his compete level has been much better than last year. Yes, he gets paid more than he's worth but Brouwer has been making improvements and will leave a hole that needs to be filled if he's out for an extended period.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #73
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I must saying the polarizing situation that is Brouwer as a Calgary Flame is an especially interesting one when something like this happens.

Haters generally still hate, sympathizes still sympathize and the dummies (that applaud injuries or misfortune on a disliked player) are still dumb.

I for one will admit I am not a fan of Brouwer, primarily due to his salary, term remaining, A on his chest over Backlund, and downward trending play since being acquired.

I will also admit however that I have liked the fact he has played with more jam this season as he has made an attempt to be more scrappy with the fights and hits he has dished out.

I'm ok with him out of the lineup and am interested to see how it goes without him but would never wish an injury or any ill will on a player. Another fact of the matter is a number of players on the team, not including the top 6, aren't really providing a lot of offense to the bottom 6 either.

In other words I don't think this hurts us but also don't think it makes us any better either. Our bottom 6 needs some work and Brouwer wasn't necessarily a problem, the whole lot of them is concerning really. We need more out of all of them.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #74
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope this laceration doesn't all of the sudden become infected with the same disease that Hossa has.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #75
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's overpaid and not a threat offensively, but you cannot fault the level of effort we've seen this season and he makes a lot of good, small, smart plays defensively.

I hope he's ok.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #76
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
hmm, don't remember seeing the play that may have caused that.

Never liked to see a guy get hurt, hope it's nothing serious. That being said, for how much flack he gets, let's see what this team looks like with him out now.
Puck to the face along the boards.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #77
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't wish injury on anyone, and I'm not necessarily in the "full-on hate for Brouwer camp" but I am glad that GG will now be forced to try a few different things, particularly on the power play, without Troy available.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #78
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
hmm, don't remember seeing the play that may have caused that.

Never liked to see a guy get hurt, hope it's nothing serious. That being said, for how much flack he gets, let's see what this team looks like with him out now.
took a puck to the face
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #79
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I don't wish injury on anyone, and I'm not necessarily in the "full-on hate for Brouwer camp" but I am glad that GG will now be forced to try a few different things, particularly on the power play, without Troy available.
Brouwer has really only been back on the power play for a couple games, after an extended absence. During which the power play was terrible, of course.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #80
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Where are you Jayswin?!?!

Last weekend I jokingly suggested his car might get caught in a snow bank on the way to the Dome and got hammered for it but would never cheer an injury.
That's not what you said and you know it.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote