Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2023, 07:13 PM   #61
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
A lot of posters on this board hated Monahan. Too soft, not a good centre, didn’t drive play, just a product of Gaudreau. Yet in his draft class he did just fine and he was a warrior
I didn’t hate him. But he was wrecked when they sent him to Mtl. They needed cap room and he was the obvious choice. I was actually surprised someone took him at the time.

Glad he’s doing better. Seemed like a standup guy.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 07:18 PM   #62
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Two hip surgeries, a core surgery, for a guy who wasn't a great skater and looked broken down.

It was a costly move, but a lot of people wanted to get rid of him.

He always played hard for us. It looks like a bad move now, but if the team we doing well don't think people would care much.
Didn’t he have wrist surgery too?

He was like frankenstien at the end of his tenure with us.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:23 PM   #63
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not sure that too many people "wanted to get rid of" Monahan.

I'm for sure one of the "haters" in that I always thought he was utilized incorrectly and asked to play 1C when if he'd been a 2C he'd have been dominant.

He was never fast enough to be a "pure skill" guy, he's a bit of a mucker, the nickname of "garbageman" was apt, a lotta goals from right in front, from tough angles and with no space... he was incredible at it.

But he was defensively not very aware, and no kind of physical threat, so that made him a tough sell for me as a legit 1C in the league. Going up against guys like Getzlaff showed the holes in Monahan's game.

Which is not to say I hated him or thought he was bad at hockey. He just couldn't do the role that this club needed done. Imagine Monahan as a second line center and Backlund as a 3rd line center all those years. Wow. And that was what Sam Bennett was suppose to allow.

The "if this had gone right" picture for the Flames is so golden it's just sick. But it didn't.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:03 PM   #64
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan could not play up to his contract at the end with the Flames and it was hurting the club. I’d argue there were several posters that tried to argue that away saying wasn’t true. And then we see the club had to pay a first rounder to trade him with just a year left.

I would hope nobody hated the guy, at least no one rational.

In this case, the Flames impatience was their undoing.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:14 PM   #65
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t hate him. But he was wrecked when they sent him to Mtl. They needed cap room and he was the obvious choice. I was actually surprised someone took him at the time.
They didn't "need" cap room. They wanted cap room to sign some terrible contracts.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 11:37 PM   #66
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Who knows though, right?

If you believe Calgary is an intense pressure filled environment that is too much for most NHLers, here's a guy that re-signed in Montreal for cheap.

The weather is no better,
The taxes are worse.

Maybe he'd have been happy staying and he could be part of the great Flames sell-off of 2023.
Better food though. You can't argue that. East coast proximity for reduced hockey travel and culture/entertainment is nice too.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:02 AM   #67
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
They didn't "need" cap room. They wanted cap room to sign some terrible contracts.
Guess they thought he was more terrible. At the time he probably was.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:13 AM   #68
Southside403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fantastic player character. You guys remember when Sean jonny Lance got press box for getting late to practice from. Super bowl party lol young guns.
Southside403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:27 PM   #69
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Big fan of this guy and happy to see he’s doing well.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:04 AM   #70
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
I'm not sure that too many people "wanted to get rid of" Monahan.

I'm for sure one of the "haters" in that I always thought he was utilized incorrectly and asked to play 1C when if he'd been a 2C he'd have been dominant.

He was never fast enough to be a "pure skill" guy, he's a bit of a mucker, the nickname of "garbageman" was apt, a lotta goals from right in front, from tough angles and with no space... he was incredible at it.

But he was defensively not very aware, and no kind of physical threat, so that made him a tough sell for me as a legit 1C in the league. Going up against guys like Getzlaff showed the holes in Monahan's game.

Which is not to say I hated him or thought he was bad at hockey. He just couldn't do the role that this club needed done. Imagine Monahan as a second line center and Backlund as a 3rd line center all those years. Wow. And that was what Sam Bennett was suppose to allow.

The "if this had gone right" picture for the Flames is so golden it's just sick. But it didn't.
I too was/am one of those people. I thought it was time for Mony to move on, given his lack of another gear and his injury history. I certainly don't blame him for not panning out into a #1C. That simply isn't his skillset and if anything I blame Bennett and the organization for not having Bennet turn out to be that #1 guy and Monahan the #2 (which he was perfectly suited for). I think wanting him gone was more the hope that the team could open that spot for someone else and shake up the core coming of a lackluster season. What WASN'T the plan was trading him away along with a first f'ing rounder with only a year left on his contract, for a 32 year old who caught lightning in a bottle on a cup winner for a stupid 7x7 contract. How amazing would it be now to have Monahan on his contract versus what we have with Kadri now. Sigh. Thanks BT.

Love Monahan. Hope the best for him. Habs fans are lucky to have him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:12 AM   #71
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Who knows though, right?

If you believe Calgary is an intense pressure filled environment that is too much for most NHLers, here's a guy that re-signed in Montreal for cheap.

The weather is no better,
The taxes are worse.

Maybe he'd have been happy staying and he could be part of the great Flames sell-off of 2023.
Montreal doesn't exactly have a ton of pressure at the moment they are clearly rebuilding. Anyway Monahan said it was time for a change...nobody signs cheap UFA deals in Calgary come on now.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:11 PM   #72
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s always pressure in Montreal. The difference here is that they have shown they have a clear plan and they’re executing it terrifically right now. I don’t agree with everything they’ve done, but the coach has them all on the same page.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:18 PM   #73
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

they don't have pressure to win now...Flames did

last year and the start of this year anyway, that is likely changing.

Montreal has the same great plan as everyone else...suck and get good picks. Hope your older long term contracts go on LTIR. I mean you can talk the rebuild game but Carey Price could be in there making 10M right now. And if he was the Monahan deal wouldn't have happened among other things.

Last edited by dino7c; 11-02-2023 at 12:20 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:32 AM   #74
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Monny again last night with a vintage ripper!

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #75
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Monny again last night with a vintage ripper!

Just hand him the Masterton!
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:00 AM   #76
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan deserves success. But he was a less physical version of Huberdeau. Except he didn’t pass as well and had a very good shot. We got rid of one and kept one. Neither guy can play hard when they need to. Love that he’s doing well though in Montreal.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:04 AM   #77
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone of that old core was to be the successor to Gio for Captain I would back Monahan any day. Quiet and composed leader who always gave 100% despite injuries.

Go Mony Go.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #78
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If/when the Flames move on from Lindholm I wonder if there is any chance a reunion with Monahan could happen? I doubt it but I would welcome him back with open arms. I am so happy for him and wish the trade with the Habs never happened.

I was surprised he stuck with the Habs rather than join his buddy Johnny in Columbus where I am sure they would be together on their top line seeing their need for a center.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #79
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Favourite player. Brings a tear to the eye thinking the Flames assigned him negative value in a trade to allow them to sign a soulless mercenary looking for retirement funds, and the team no longer believed in a guy that never stopped believing in the team.

It's the move that will tarnish Brad's "legacy" for me forever.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:12 AM   #80
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such revisionist history on Monahan. Dude was Mr. Clutch and a hard game performer before the injuries. He was our highest scoring player in several playoff bouts. Don't know where the soft talk came from- even when injured he scored his goals from the dirty areas getting cross checked.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: