Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #61
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a problem with the hit itself, but I have an issue with the timing of it. Everyone knows what Dumba was doing, he was frustrated with the score and the game and wanted to hurt Backlund with a hit.

Many ways the situation could have been avoided. I'm a bit with the poster that was wondering why no one on the ice jumped Dumba and saved Peters from having to send out Lomberg. Giordano was testy all game long, maybe he was tired, I don't know, but you can guarantee Iggy would have tuned up Dumba right away.

I'm not questioning Gio's leadership at all, I was just a bit surprised he didn't go after Dumba right away.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #62
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I don't have a problem with the hit itself, but I have an issue with the timing of it. Everyone knows what Dumba was doing, he was frustrated with the score and the game and wanted to hurt Backlund with a hit.

Many ways the situation could have been avoided. I'm a bit with the poster that was wondering why no one on the ice jumped Dumba and saved Peters from having to send out Lomberg. Giordano was testy all game long, maybe he was tired, I don't know, but you can guarantee Iggy would have tuned up Dumba right away.
There was a hit early on that Gio took exception to and looked back to see who it was. I can't remember the exact play but someone did take a run at him.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #63
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Kadri hit was poetry.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #64
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Is there a video or gif of knee to knee contact? I thought they clipped skates but may have just missed the camera angle and that showed it

https://twitter.com/i/status/1070900131778547713
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #65
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

I'm not questioning Gio's leadership at all, I was just a bit surprised he didn't go after Dumba right away.
Well, first off, Dumba immediately ran away after the hit, and second, all of the guys who were on the ice are not the kind of guys we want getting suspended for the instigator. Lomberg, on the other hand, was the perfect sacrifice.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #66
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I mostly just wanted to watch it again.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #67
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Feel free to share a freeze frame.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #68
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get how the owners are a-ok with the officiating. You'd have to think they would be listened to if they demanded better by now, as this impacts their product.

This doesn't seem hard either. It's clearly tough to make the right call in the moment and see everything happening in the ice. Hire an off-icr ref already and use technology that you didn't pick up off Craigslist.

But obviously whoever is making these decisions needs to re-think how they're evaluating this. There's a very obvious lack of consistency, and it's not exactly a secret amongst fans.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You have to drive upwards to counter momentum. It’s not malicious, it’s physics.

Here’s a good example, similar point of contact, Gio almost flat footed though and he still pops up into the air.
The point is that on all of these hard hits the skates start on the ice - look at Wilson's hits. The skates start on the ice at contact. Physics says that if they aren't the hit actually isn't as hard.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #70
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lomberg earned his paycheque, even if it is smaller now. It's the type of situation that absolutely warrants sending an enforcer out even if it is the last 5 minutes of play. Dumba gets away with it and they continue to take liberties next weekend.

You have to protect your vulnerable players if it it is their own stupidity that makes them vulnerable.

Sure, it might be what the league is trying to get away from, but that's what hockey is supposed to be IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #71
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The point is that on all of these hard hits the skates start on the ice - look at Wilson's hits. The skates start on the ice at contact. Physics says that if they aren't the hit actually isn't as hard.
Dumba’s skates are on ice at contact.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #72
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I watched that hit 2nd row from Regehr's corner.

Hit was amazing.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #73
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yeah that’s the thumbnail sportsnet poorly chose.

Back it up 2 frames.

Like Jesus Backlund knee is almost on the ice here. You think this is the initial point of contact?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #74
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Not sure why the Gio play warrants a suspension, it's a 2 min penatly. Gio isn't the type to deliberately hurt a guy.

I don't recall the league looking at Staal when he broke Gaudreau's hand.
Gio has put many people out of commissions with knees extended before (Cam Fowler, Ryan, Aho biggest example). He actually has quite a history, whether us fans love to see him in rainbow coloured glasses or not. He is a pretty big offender, and they are all quite deliberate. Gio should be suspended 2-3 games at the minimum. We love him, but let's not paint him as a saint...

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...ee-on-knee-hit

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...knee-knee-hit/

Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #75
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dumba’s skates are on ice at contact.
That's my point. So are Wilson's in the hits he gets suspended for. It's not a valid defence of the decision by DPS. Other factors can be. But if their standard is "skates on ice at point of contact" then that's pretty much every hard hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #76
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with Lomberg/Peters getting punished, but at the same time I'm more than happy that Peters did send him out. Nothing wrong with standing up against Dumba after the hit (which was clean IMO, but I didn't like the timing and the motivation) and let's face it, Lomberg being duspended won't really hurt the team all that much.

Hope Gio doesn't get the book thrown at him, but I could easily see him being suspended for a game or two.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #77
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Gio has put many people out of commissions with knees extended before (Cam Fowler, Ryan, Aho biggest example). He actually has quite a history, whether us fans love to see him in rainbow coloured glasses or not. He is a pretty big offender, and they are all quite deliberate. Gio should be suspended 2-3 games at the minimum. We love him, but let's not paint him as a saint...
No one says Gio is a saint, but DPS is only supposed to consider a history of suspensions or fines. Not "he's a dirty player".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #78
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's my point. So are Wilson's in the hits he gets suspended for. It's not a valid defence of the decision by DPS. Other factors can be. But if their standard is "skates on ice at point of contact" then that's pretty much every hard hit.
It absolutely is. It’s a rare occasion a player actually jumps into someone. Especially open ice. The likely hood you’ll fall flat on your back has to be increased 10 fold if you jump in the air. It isn’t a common practice, which is why it’s a penalty when the odd maniac does it (generally into a player along the boards).

But elevating into a hit is standard.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #79
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that’s the thumbnail sportsnet poorly chose.

Back it up 2 frames.

Like Jesus Backlund knee is almost on the ice here. You think this is the initial point of contact?
Show me a screen capture.

No, no not that one, that supports your position.

Show me another, you know one that supports my position.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #80
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

When should we expect to hear from the DOPS?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote