Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #61
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For anyone that might have read my post and been wondering themselves as well, I found the Sony STRDG820. This is what I am going to purchase before Christmas. Seems to do everything I want and will support my HD DVD and BD players just fine over HDMI, with my built-in XM. Not a bad price point either.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #62
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well he does have a 50 foot cable, which is well beyond any spec for HDMI.. I've got a cheap 35 foot one that works fine, but 50 foot might just be too long.

But as you say it could be faulty install or interference as well.

Is there any way nfoitu to eliminate the short cables to test it? Though I'd be really surprised if it was the short cables, though it could be the # of connectors.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #63
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
This thread is kind of going in a number of different directions, but oh well...thought I would ask those in the know since we have been talking about receivers.

I have a Sony STRDG800. Imagine my surprise when I finally decided to use HDMI cables for both audio and video instead of just video directly to my HDTV and digital optical cables to the receiver. I decided to do this because of my recent Blu-ray player purchase. I've had an HD DVD for a while, but never bothered with just an HDMI cable for both audio and video.

So the 800 says HDMI right on the front of it and I plugged in the HDMI cables for both the HD DVD and BD. Guess what? The audio when using HDMI only is output via the TV speakers only! Can you imagine this? It's in the fine print in the 800 User Manual. Unfreakinbelievable... Why, if I have a BD player, a 46" HDTV and a surround sound system, would I want the audio output via the TV speakers? Arrgghhh...

So...I have been hunting for a new receiver. I found this one: Sony STRDG720, which is a lower number, but seems to allow for both audio and video throughput on the receiver. Not sure why this is. Some people in this thread have said Sony is not the greatest choice. So, this receiver not all that great then? Comparibles at or around the same price range? Thoughts?

Edit: I should add that one of the reasons why I like the Sony is it comes with built-in XM which I bought an antenna for and I use quite often. This 720 model also has the built-in XM.
I have the STRDG800. All you have to do is run an optical cable from your BD player as well. The sound quality is the same. Google if you need instructions. (e.g. see below)

Quote:
While I wholeheartedly agree it's ass-backwards to allow audio pass-through only to the Monitor with an HDMI configuration, it's not impossible to setup. The trick, as the other user said, it to use optical digital cables from the components to the receiver then use the digital assign feature (p.78 of the manual). Doing this, I was able to connect a Comcast HD via HDMI, XBOX 360 via HDMI with separate digital optical cables coming from both into TV/SAT and Video 1 digital inputs respectively. Then, I re-assigned Video 1 digital input to DVD. All's well (and it's now infinitely easier for the inlaws to work it). Not very user-friendly, I grant you. However, not a lot to go through given the price.

Last edited by Nancy; 09-04-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #64
Got Miikka?
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hey I have an HDMI cable related question!

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and I just got an LG HDTV and an HDMI cable. Both units have HDMI ports but when I go to connect the two the TV says it gets no signal. I am pretty new to the whole HDTV thing (as well as connecting a PC to the TV) - is there something I'm missing? Am I doing something wrong? I tried searching google for a solution but I get lost in all the jargon some of the forums are using...
Got Miikka? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #65
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Well he does have a 50 foot cable, which is well beyond any spec for HDMI.. I've got a cheap 35 foot one that works fine, but 50 foot might just be too long.

But as you say it could be faulty install or interference as well.

Is there any way nfoitu to eliminate the short cables to test it? Though I'd be really surprised if it was the short cables, though it could be the # of connectors.
Not really, the ends are both female. That gives me an idea, maybe they have a male end behind the wall plate... I'll have to check.

Not saying it is the short cables, but maybe there are higher end connectors that would eliminate some loss. Is it loss that causes sparklies? When I say sparklies, it looks like old school "snow", except more like a flurry . Very noticeable on black screens, letter box bars, and darker scenes.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #66
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I have the STRDG800. All you have to do is run an optical cable from your BD player as well. The sound quality is the same. Google if you need instructions. (e.g. see below)
Isn't that essentially the same as hooking up a digital optical cable from the BD player to the receiver though? Doesn't really matter to me what device the sound is played on (I have the digital optical cable for the BD player to the Video 1 portion of the receiver now).

Still doesn't allow TrueHD or DTS-HD though. This is what I was trying to achieve by using HDMI for those discs that have this type of audio output.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #67
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Not really, the ends are both female. That gives me an idea, maybe they have a male end behind the wall plate... I'll have to check.
They typically are male on the inside and the wall plate is just an adapter with two female ends. If there's enough slack inside you might be able to pull enough out just to test it to see if it's the cable in the wall or the connectors... connectors can add noise, especially if they're low quality or faulty.

Quote:
Not saying it is the short cables, but maybe there are higher end connectors that would eliminate some loss. Is it loss that causes sparklies? When I say sparklies, it looks like old school "snow", except more like a flurry . Very noticeable on black screens, letter box bars, and darker scenes.
Possible I guess, though I'd bet on the 50' cable length being the issue first.

What resolution are you running at? You could try switching to an alternate resolution (i.e. switch to 720p or 1080i).
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #68
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Miikka? View Post
Hey I have an HDMI cable related question!

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and I just got an LG HDTV and an HDMI cable. Both units have HDMI ports but when I go to connect the two the TV says it gets no signal. I am pretty new to the whole HDTV thing (as well as connecting a PC to the TV) - is there something I'm missing? Am I doing something wrong? I tried searching google for a solution but I get lost in all the jargon some of the forums are using...
You may have to enable your LG display although I don't know squat about laptops.
On desktops this works
Right click on an open part of your desktop.
Click on properties.
Click settings.
Click on monitor #2
Check Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor
Set the screen resolution for your LG
Click apply and OK
It is much the same for Vista although I think you first click on personalize.

You may have to or wish to also go into your NTune Desktop manager for NVidia and select clone or separate if you use Nvidia
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #69
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another bump.

Question. I'm hooking up my receiver to all my speakers and components that came in the mail today. If I hook up all 3 components to the HDMI inputs on the receiver and then connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI, do I need any other type of audio cables (coaxle or optical?) in order to get surround sound? I was under the impression that HDMI included both Audio and Video in one cable.

Also, what gauge of speaker wire is suitable for a home theatre system? They sent 18 gauge with the speakers, but I'm not sure if it's enough of not. Two of the speaker wires need to run between 30 and 40 feet. Will 18 be enough or should I get some thicker stuff?

Thanks guys.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #70
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
Another bump.

Question. I'm hooking up my receiver to all my speakers and components that came in the mail today. If I hook up all 3 components to the HDMI inputs on the receiver and then connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI, do I need any other type of audio cables (coaxle or optical?) in order to get surround sound? I was under the impression that HDMI included both Audio and Video in one cable.

Also, what gauge of speaker wire is suitable for a home theatre system? They sent 18 gauge with the speakers, but I'm not sure if it's enough of not. Two of the speaker wires need to run between 30 and 40 feet. Will 18 be enough or should I get some thicker stuff?

Thanks guys.
With my system, we hook the components to the TV with HDMI, then audio coax/fiber optic from the component to the reciever. I can't think of any reason that you would need to connect your TV to your reciever. Keep in mind it doesn't mean that there isn't a reason, but with the stuff we have that is what we do.

As for HDMI, it does contain audio and video in the cable, so if I turn the volume up on my TV it will have sound, even though the audio cables run from my components to my reciever. I almost always have the TV volume muted though, since surround sound is much better in most cases.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #71
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post

photon is most likely correct. I've heard that the ~50+ ft range is questionable for regular HDMI cable runs.

Another option that would almost certainly work is something like this. Though expensive, they're great options. There are also cheaper versions of the same kicking around out there ... just make sure they're compatible with everything you want out of them before you buy (ie. HDMI version 1.3). Maybe find one worth trying in-store, assure they offer a return policy for the item, and test it out at home with all your devices.

Failing that ... you might have a faulty connector, or something else wrong, but it would be hard to figure out what without trial and error.

Hope you find a solution.

EDIT: info added for clarity.

Last edited by OBCT; 09-09-2008 at 09:47 PM.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #72
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Another bump.

Thanks guys.
Part A. No. If the only thing you have inputted to your receiver is HDMI sources, then you should not need anything other than a single HDMI cable outputted to your TV.

(Aside: My family has an Onkyo HT-SR800 "home theater in a box" system, which includes a receiver that does not have the ability to output the component audio+video signal coming from our DVD player via HDMI out. This forces us to have separate outputs for component and HDMI, so we don't have the luxury of a single HDMI connector to our TV. Lucky you!)

Part B. 18 gauge would be the minimum I'd go with for a run over 25 ft. You would do well to upgrade to 14, 15 or 16 gauge; technically, the "required" number for "zero loss" depends on the load resistance of the signal being passed from the receiver to the speaker. I know it's filled with technical jargon, but here is a good article with a pertinent table for this very topic near the top - under "Maximum Wire Lengths For TWO CONDUCTOR Copper Wire". (Note: The resistance in your wire will probably be 4 or 8 ohm).

I know it's been said before on this forum, but if you do decide to upgrade the wire, http://www.monoprice.com is your best bet for great quality at a great price. Get the good quality 2-conductor speaker wire at the gauge you decide on, and it'll last for years.

EDIT: Rathji's solution will also work for your first question. I find sticking with all HDMI simpler, but it's totally up to you!

Last edited by OBCT; 09-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #73
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Isn't that essentially the same as hooking up a digital optical cable from the BD player to the receiver though? Doesn't really matter to me what device the sound is played on (I have the digital optical cable for the BD player to the Video 1 portion of the receiver now).

Still doesn't allow TrueHD or DTS-HD though. This is what I was trying to achieve by using HDMI for those discs that have this type of audio output.
Correct. To achieve Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA you must have a compatible source (BD Player = check), compatible connector type (HDMI = check; digital optical\coaxial = nope), and compatible reciever (Sony STRDG820 = check). I think your choice in reciever - should you make use of said formats - is a good one, OilKiller.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #74
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Another bump.

Thanks guys.
You are correct. All 3 input cables to the receiver, and one from the receiver to your TV. The nice part about this is that you only have to press one button to switch inputs (from Sattelite to DVD to game). Make sure you turn down the volume on your TV if you want to use the stereo, or it will screw with the surround sound.

I would also upgrade the speaker wire to 16 or 14 if you can afford it. As stated before in this thread....speaker wire can lose signal strength over length, and it will be a big enough difference to be worth the money.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #75
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
Correct. To achieve Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA you must have a compatible source (BD Player = check), compatible connector type (HDMI = check; digital optical\coaxial = nope), and compatible reciever (Sony STRDG820 = check). I think your choice in reciever - should you make use of said formats - is a good one, OilKiller.
Yep. Thanks. Looks like a good one. Unfortunately I'm thinking it might have to wait until Christmas. Not that far off I guess. I have my Samsung BD set up to output DTS to my current Sony receiver, which understands and can deal with DTS. I can then select a TrueHD track and still get better sound (better than just the DD 5.1 track). I noticed a HUGE difference with Cars as an example switching between tracks. Still not TrueHD per se, but closer for now.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #76
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another question. I got all my HDMI cables in the mail from Monoprice today and set it all up to my components. I assigned the HDMI channels so the receiver now controls everything nicely. The only problem would be that there is no sound. I thought that hooking up the PVR, Blu Ray and Xbox 360 via HDMI to the receiver would give me video and audio. Either I'm doing something wrong or I didn't understand the many explanations I've been given on this .

Do I need some kind of other cable or am I doing something wrong?

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #77
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another question. I got all my HDMI cables in the mail from Monoprice today and set it all up to my components. I assigned the HDMI channels so the receiver now controls everything nicely. The only problem would be that there is no sound. I thought that hooking up the PVR, Blu Ray and Xbox 360 via HDMI to the receiver would give me video and audio. Either I'm doing something wrong or I didn't understand the many explanations I've been given on this .

Do I need some kind of other cable or am I doing something wrong?
Your Receiver can handle both video and audio from the HDMI?

If so then I am guessing you need to change settings on either your receiver or devices for sound to go through HDMI as well.

For instance, on my PS3 I have to change the audio settings depending on where I am using it.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #78
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Your Receiver can handle both video and audio from the HDMI?

If so then I am guessing you need to change settings on either your receiver or devices for sound to go through HDMI as well.

For instance, on my PS3 I have to change the audio settings depending on where I am using it.
The audio works through the TV. It just won't come through the speakers that I have hooked up to the receiver. I feel like I am missing something subtle but it's pissing me off.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #79
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I might have missed it being mentioned in the thread. Which reciever did you end up pulling the trigger on, Mayer?

EDIT: If you went with the Onkyo TXSR506, then I led you astray with my most recent recommendation. That is a good reciever, but maybe doesn't do everything you thought it might. I apologize for the bad advice (I had OilKiller's reciever on my mind).

That particular reciever only supports HDMI audio pass-thru (see the second post in this thread). With the TXSR506, all audio inputted via HDMI can only be outputted via HDMI. In your case, that means you'd be stuck with your TV's speakers for sound -- unless you add a separate audio cable connection from the HDMI components you want to hear out of your actual speakers. (Rathji was 100% right after all. Good call, man!)

The good thing is that the reciever has 2 optical and 2 coaxial inputs for audio - use these before using RCA inputs, if possible. Don't go out and buy the most expensive digital cables... keep them as short as needed, and don't feel worried about getting the cheap cables when it comes to optical (ie. toslink) or coaxial. With ~3 ft runs it won't matter one bit.

Also, make sure you configure the audio sources to be set-up with the corresponding video source being inputted. Onkyo's manual is usually quite clear, but if you have any questions, ask.

Last edited by OBCT; 09-10-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #80
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
I think I might have missed it being mentioned in the thread. Which reciever did you end up pulling the trigger on, Mayer?
The Onkyo TX-SR506.

I feel like the salesman might have lied right to my face. I specifically laid out to him exactly what I wanted to do and what I had, and he told me this one would do everything I needed.