Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 03:48 PM   #61
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
How can you say that with certainty when we know sexual abuse in Hollywood is rampant when it comes to rich and powerful men against young women.

Are you familiar with Epstein and Weinstein.
Totally. Hollywood has established throughout it's existence that pedophiles are okay. Hell it's like the Jim Jefferies joke, you can touch kids as long as you're amongst the top of your field. Look at how many statues there are of Elvis around the world. Michael Jackson, Charlie Chaplin, maybe Bill Cosby would have gotten away with no jail time if he was smart enough not to rape adults
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:02 PM   #62
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Oh so now its gone from "eww how can a 50 yo have sex with 19 yo!"

to "hmm he is from hollywood! could there be sexual abuse???"

Lets stop pretending to be a bunch of investigative journalists / psychologist, and don't judge others
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:03 PM   #63
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You're pretending to be a Starship captain. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 04:28 PM   #64
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucPicard View Post
Oh so now its gone from "eww how can a 50 yo have sex with 19 yo!"

to "hmm he is from hollywood! could there be sexual abuse???"

Lets stop pretending to be a bunch of investigative journalists / psychologist, and don't judge others
Your over the top enthusiastic defending of Leo is off-putting.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:31 PM   #65
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Judgement actually plays a useful role in society, it's how a lot of abnormal behavior is curtailed and kept in check. People should absolutely not do whatever the hell they want, if they're somewhat decent they'll pick up on the cues and disapproval of their peers and correct themselves.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #66
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Judgement actually plays a useful role in society, it's how a lot of abnormal behavior is curtailed and kept in check. People should absolutely not do whatever the hell they want, if they're somewhat decent they'll pick up on the cues and disapproval of their peers and correct themselves.
Opinions of moms and dads are often the best curtailers of misbehavior. It's often what keeps that guy with a screw loose from acting on his bad ideas. Mom's wrath. (not always effective though, as weve seen with shooters, etc)

But abnormal/normal is subjective. And as for things less extreme, like relationships with an age difference, people should not really give a #### what someone with a differing belief on the matter thinks.

But yes, the consequence of what people think might be the most paralyzing fear that controls and subdues people in this day and age. I think in many cases in western culture, the fear of judgment even rivals or exceeeds the fear of death. Which is crazy. But that's how much younger people care

So judgment serves a purpose to a point. When judgment/fear of judgment holds a person back from doing what's actually best for them, like pursing their goals and passions, it's no longer useful or positively serving. And this is very common. Many people in traditional families take up the same jobs as their parents just to please them, rather than give the gift to the world of realizing the type of career they would really be passionate about

There are many instances where it is limiting people, and keeping swathes of society from reaching the heights they can as individuals because so many people are playing it safe of fear of trying and failing. The side effect of this is people become deeply unhappy over time, or apathetic

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 02-07-2023 at 07:20 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:03 PM   #67
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

To be completely honest, Leo's not that great of an actor anyway.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #68
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
To be completely honest, Leo's not that great of an actor anyway.
Sadly true, he looked like he was going to be for a while there but in the end he's just another one dimensional aging pretty boy
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #69
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just concerned that he's finally learned what a chinook is
Old 02-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #70
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yes, people should definitely avoid or end their relationships because a bunch of people on internet felt weird about it!

"Son, everyone is bothering us about you dating that black girl, would you please just end this and do the right thing? It makes the community uncomfortable"

"These celebrities are always dating girls as young as my daughter is! i wish these creeps would just correct their behaviors"

Before someone starts having a seizure thinking "a-a-are you equating racial discrimination with us being against big age gaps in relationships? how d-d-dare you?:

Both statements are attacking adults for making their own decisions, and are making assumptions about the intentions and mental state of the people involved in the relationship.

The point: Mind your own business; What you feel is wrong or creepy about age gaps in relationships applies only to your idea of a "decent" behavior.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #71
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Nah, he’s a creep.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:35 PM   #72
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, people should definitely avoid or end their relationships because a bunch of people on internet felt weird about it!

"Son, everyone is bothering us about you dating that black girl, would you please just end this and do the right thing? It makes the community uncomfortable"

"These celebrities are always dating girls as young as my daughter is! i wish these creeps would just correct their behaviors"

Before someone starts having a seizure thinking "a-a-are you equating racial discrimination with us being against big age gaps in relationships? how d-d-dare you?:

Both statements are attacking adults for making their own decisions, and are making assumptions about the intentions and mental state of the people involved in the relationship.

The point: Mind your own business; What you feel is wrong or creepy about age gaps in relationships applies only to your idea of a "decent" behavior.
I don't why you seem so bugged by this, no one is suggesting De Caprio should go to jail, just that he's a shallow immature ######bag that serial dates borderline teenagers who use him to further their careers, I have no doubt the girls are just as shallow as he is, they may mature, he clearly can't, he is a text book Peter Pan
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:39 PM   #73
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I don't why you seem so bugged by this, no one is suggesting De Caprio should go to jail, just that he's a shallow immature ######bag that serial dates borderline teenagers who use him to further their careers, I have no doubt the girls are just as shallow as he is, they may mature, he clearly can't, he is a text book Peter Pan
Not that bugged about it; don't even care about him. I had recently discussed the age gap issue, among other relationship issues, with a friend so I just felt saying a thing or two )
Old 02-07-2023, 08:51 PM   #74
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally find it creepy. I’m strongly in the camp that any dude who is older than early to mid twenties and dates teenagers has a personality flaw or creepy edge that prevents him from dating someone age appropriate. I think the importance of age gaps fade as people age. A 40 year old dating a 30 is much different than a 30 year old dating a 20 year old.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:52 PM   #75
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judgmental individuals are often 3x harder on themselves, so not like it's a good thing

Even if they get the cheap and fleeting satisfaction from claiming moral high ground over somebody else, guaranteed they go home to an internal hell every night in their own head with all their standards

Aside from extreme cases, there isn't such thing as a superior way to live or be, just different ways. Different strokes for different folks

I doubt Leo gives a ####, otherwise he would've adjusted his lifestyle a long time ago. I won't pretend to understand it, but the revolving door of transactional-like relationships just does it for some guys
Old 02-07-2023, 08:54 PM   #76
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/M40PBhc-NcXRZ
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 09:17 PM   #77
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I judge you by this post, will it make you rethink your life choices?

This is a real awful take on life and one that has destroyed a lot of good people for reasons like religion, racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.

For the record, I'm not letting Leo off the hook. I do have a problem with people who think an adult with a 16-17 yo should be locked up and raped and killed in prison, but if they're 18-19 it's all good and high fives. There is an answer in the middle somewhere.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:07 AM   #78
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Is he still flying around the world in his private jet and telling all us 'non rich' people how we should live?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:26 AM   #79
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As long as they aren't breaking the law why shouldn't they if it makes them happy? If the guy likes young ladies why should he start dating older women just to please you? Makes no sense and clearly he doesn't give a flying #### about what you or anyone else thinks. While I think the guy is kind of an idiot I applaud him for doing what he likes and not succumbing to what society thinks he should be doing. You only get one life and you should enjoy it as you wish.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:43 AM   #80
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Of course you're going to find some article about "Twitter SLAMS Leo" or something about "power dynamics" (Twitter reaction itself being a news article GMG), but my take on it is that they're two consenting adults who enjoy each other's company / want to bang each other / see the opportunity for a mutually beneficial arrangement career-wise, so be it. It isn't criminal, so just let people be with who they want to be with. It's none of my business.
Overall, I find Leo pretty insufferable, but I totally agree with this take. Two consenting adults, the women get free exposure, Leo gets to sleaze it up with beautiful women on his (probably not so) environmentally friendly yacht. Why am I supposed to care?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post: