Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2023, 01:49 PM   #61
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
So they were aware when? Because he was at this prospect camp

Not good. Not good at all
Because people accused of things are always guilty....right? Right?
Old 10-19-2023, 01:51 PM   #62
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I think distancing yourself from an accused rapist who isn’t even a good player is probably the right call for a franchise

His own team just severed ties with him until the situation is resolved
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:53 PM   #63
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t see how the Flames could possibly have known anything about this at the draft unless Ronni actually volunteered the info.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #64
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I can’t see how the Flames could possibly have known anything about this at the draft unless Ronni actually volunteered the info.
They sent out a release saying they knew after they selected him. So they didn't know when they selected him but found out somewhere between after selecting him and now.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:59 PM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
They sent out a release saying they knew after they selected him. So they didn't know when they selected him but found out somewhere between after selecting him and now.
No doubt when they entered into a signing discussion. That’s when you can ask about pending legal issues.

But I’m sure you know the legal disclosure rules for minors in Ginland a lot better than me, so explain how they could have known back at the draft?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:00 PM   #66
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Punishment for the crime will be handled by the courts and he deserves to be treated as innocent until proven otherwise.

Punishment for not disclosing a massive reputational risk to the team investing in you is up to the team and I think it would be a good call to cut ties.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #67
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Give him his due process but if he's guilty cut ties immediately.
If he's guilty you can still trade him to an organization like EDM, or CAR that doesn't care about the character of a player. I definitely agree about due process though.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #68
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously he didn't volunteer the info if the Flames are claiming they found out after drafting him.

So why didn't he offer the info? Bad thinking or advice? Does he think/know he is being falsely accused and that this will go away so he didn't say anything at first? Is he guilty but hoping to get out of it somehow? Is he guilty but hoping it wouldn't come out?

There is different ways this could turn out and yet people are assuming he shouldn't be allowed to exist before the truth is determined.

I have no problem with the Flames waiting this out before they drop him but maybe he shouldn't come to camp next year if it is still ongoing. We're at the point of distancing but not yet cutting ties.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #69
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
No doubt when they entered into a signing discussion. That’s when you can ask about pending legal issues.

But I’m sure you know the legal disclosure rules for minors in Ginland a lot better than me, so explain how they could have known back at the draft?
Huh? I was agreeing with you. You said you couldn't see how they knew at the draft and my post was saying they sent out a release saying they didn't know at the draft.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OILFAN #81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 02:02 PM   #70
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think distancing yourself from an accused rapist who isn’t even a good player is probably the right call for a franchise

What if he didn't commit rape though? An accusation does not mean that he's guilty of a crime. It's not a great look for anyone being accused of rape but the fact is that he's innocent until proven guilty. We will just have to wait and see how this plays out but I don't see why the Flames would just drop a person that's been accused of something that has yet to be proven in a court of law.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 02:07 PM   #71
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What if he didn't commit rape though? An accusation does not mean that he's guilty of a crime. It's not a great look for anyone being accused of rape but the fact is that he's innocent until proven guilty. We will just have to wait and see how this plays out but I don't see why the Flames would just drop a person that's been accused of something that has yet to be proven in a court of law.
While I agree, It's not a good look for Ronni to have knowingly withheld this information from NHL teams predraft whom were willing to invest time and money into his future. I could certainly see that tarnishing his relationship with the organization regardless of the outcome of the court proceedings.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #72
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe you have a different translation, but from what I am reading Ronni is taking a leave of absence from Tappara while dealing with this in court.

Tappara will make a decision upon the conclusion of the court.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-19-2023 at 02:15 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 02:15 PM   #73
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was he at any of the rookie camps after they found out about this?

That would really tarnish his standing with the team.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #74
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well, maybe it’s just me but Flames fans are not exactly at the top of the list of people who bad things happened to in this incident.
or maybe, just maybe I was predicting how this thread would go. and it did.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:25 PM   #75
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is becoming a problem with today's societies and accusations though. I have no idea if he is guilty or not guilty but a simple accusation now ruins a person's life. I have personally seen someone lose their job, relationship, and pretty much all of their savings. In the end it came out that they were innocent but the damage is already done.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 02:27 PM   #76
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had the team known about this at the draft I imagine they would have avoided selecting him since he's unlikely to become an impact player for the Flames. However, I don't think they need to cut ties with him now - nor should they. As has been said before, we do not know the details of the allegations against him. I think it is incredibly important in a free society to hold on to the premise of 'innocent until proven guilty', and protect it not only as a legal matter, but as an ethical matter. If we agree that any accusation is grounds for dismissal before the legal proceedings make a determination it opens up the door for bad actors to abuse the system. If he's guilty I hope he's punished to the fullest extent of the law. If he's innocent, I hope he is able to pursue his hockey career unimpeded.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:28 PM   #77
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

He was the fittest prospect at Flames development camp.....
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #78
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
This is becoming a problem with today's societies and accusations though. I have no idea if he is guilty or not guilty but a simple accusation now ruins a person's life. I have personally seen someone lose their job, relationship, and pretty much all of their savings. In the end it came out that they were innocent but the damage is already done.
Disavow yourself of this opinion immediately.

There is nothing "simple" about accusing someone of rape or sexual assault.

There is room for a discussion on the impacts of media on fair trial and innocence until proven guilt, but let's not diminish the act of accusing someone of something like this to triviality. Most cases of sexual assault or rape are in fact never reported because of the complexity, stress, pain, and often retribution caused by reporting.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 02:33 PM   #79
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Disavow yourself of this opinion immediately.

There is nothing "simple" about accusing someone of rape or sexual assault.

There is room for a discussion on the impacts of media on fair trial and innocence until proven guilt, but let's not diminish the act of accusing someone of something like this to triviality. Most cases of sexual assault or rape are in fact never reported because of the complexity, stress, pain, and often retribution caused by reporting.
That's irrelevant. The term 'simple' as used by the poster is conveying the idea that you can simply accuse someone of something and destroy their lives. Thus, diluting the power of the law - which we should all be very wary of. I think we all understand the seriousness of rape. However, an accusation does not imply guilt.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 02:33 PM   #80
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe the Flames scouting is not what is most important at this point. Are you pro-rape or something?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote