Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2024, 09:47 AM   #61
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Wolf was horrible. I know he’s their golden child. But no denying that.
I disagree, did you watch the game? The Flames were terrible in front of him.

1 - Turnover was expecting cross crease (50/50)
2 - Turnover no chance to stop it
3 - On Wolf
4 - Fluke Tip no chance
5 - On Wolf
6 - Turnover - High shortside you expect a goalie to probably stop (50/50)

So in reality he let in 6 but you can only really blame him on 2 and on two others he probably should have stopped one of them.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skaloper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 10:05 AM   #62
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post

3 - On Wolf
4 - Fluke Tip no chance
5 - On Wolf

So in reality he let in 6 but you can only really blame him on 2 and on two others he probably should have stopped one of them.
As I said it doesn't have to be one or the other. Both Wolf and the team can be blamed.

1 and 2 were bad turnovers but like I said he looked bad on the save attempt. If that was Markstrom or Vladar they would have got roasted hard.

He had a bad night but that's going to happen. It doesn't mean he's a bust and isn't going to turn into the future starter we all hope he will.

Last edited by Inferno; 02-16-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:15 AM   #63
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
As I said it doesn't have to be one or the other. Both Wolf and the team can be blamed.

1 and 2 were bad turnovers but I liked I said he looked bad on the save attempt. If that was Markstrom or Vladar they would have got roasted hard.

He had a bad night but that's going to happen. It doesn't mean he's a bust and isn't going to turn into the future starter we all hope he will.
I think it just really showed how good Markstrom was playing. he has been saving goals off crappy turnovers all season.

Fans are funny though, already writing off Wolf lol
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 11:46 AM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post

3 - On Wolf
4 - Fluke Tip no chance
5 - On Wolf

I think this is pretty fair.

He didnt cover himself in glory but the defence was goddamned horrible in front of him.

Nobody played well last night.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:52 AM   #65
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think this is pretty fair.

He didnt cover himself in glory but the defence was goddamned horrible in front of him.

Nobody played well last night.

Not to mention the PP was zero for six(?), and had at least two opportunities to extend a one-nothing lead.

IMO, the powerplay has been the biggest detriment this season, whether that’s not scoring in key moments, not scoring at all, or having goals scored against. Last night, one or two PP goals changes that game.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 12:04 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
Not to mention the PP was zero for six(?), and had at least two opportunities to extend a one-nothing lead.

IMO, the powerplay has been the biggest detriment this season, whether that’s not scoring in key moments, not scoring at all, or having goals scored against. Last night, one or two PP goals changes that game.
If I've said it once, I've said it million times, your PP has to be in the top-third if you want to succeed.

If your powerplay is useless you're going to get worked.

We got worked.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 12:08 PM   #67
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

They probably told Wolf to not get too comfortable down in Calgary because he'll be back up in Calgary very soon.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 12:09 PM   #68
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If I've said it once, I've said it million times, your PP has to be in the top-third if you want to succeed.
So the Oilers is a successsful team?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:11 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
So the Oilers is a successsful team?
Its one element, but its a key element.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:23 PM   #70
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

One game sample sizes are meaningless. What is more important is to see how he responds.

I hope that the Flames don't get a goalie back as part of the Markstrom trade, as I think going with Vladar and Wolf for the rest of the season is really the way to go. I am interested in seeing if Vladar can be a legitimate #1 starter or not, and I want to see Wolf getting more regular reps so that he can take some steps forward.

Name a single goalie in the NHL who hasn't looked like garbage in various games. Heck, Hasek I am sure looked about as good as me in net (I have never been a goalie in any sport I played) on some nights.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 12:43 PM   #71
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Here's my over reaction to people saying Wolf is terrible .

What goalie DOESNT have to carry this team on his back most of the time?

Yeah Markys been good but the team wasn't giving up grade A chances ALL nite all game in front of him either!!
Plus WTF is with the eye in the sky last night ? How many times do you see that? I mean Toronto was all over that way too fast iMO.

Anyway....Wolf will be absolutely fine. Kipper had stinkers too and it was as a direct result of the team playing like asss in front of him too
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:49 PM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Here's my over reaction to people saying Wolf is terrible .

What goalie DOESNT have to carry this team on his back most of the time?

Yeah Markys been good but the team wasn't giving up grade A chances ALL nite all game in front of him either!!
Plus WTF is with the eye in the sky last night ? How many times do you see that? I mean Toronto was all over that way too fast iMO.

Anyway....Wolf will be absolutely fine. Kipper had stinkers too and it was as a direct result of the team playing like asss in front of him too
The other thing as well that I think should be mentioned is that its tough to draw conclusions on limited viewings especially for Goaltenders.

For all intents and purposes, Wolf is playing on a new team every time and he gets 1 game.

Kipper had to play himself into a groove. He needed a run.

Wolf is going from the Wranglers to the Flames back to the Wranglers and playing behind different guys...its insane to think you can just call him up and everything's going to be great and smooth you just hope he can give you a good game.

And frankly...okay. He didnt give us a great game. But as I said before, last night nobody really covered themselves in Glory. Nobody had a 'great' game.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 01:06 PM   #73
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

We're damn lucky to have a guy who could dominate in 2 leagues at once
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:15 PM   #74
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 02-16-2024 at 04:40 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:57 PM   #75
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wolf's had some bad games in the AHL in the past too, but he had the opportunity to work through them because he could get a run of games consistently to do so. It's pretty hard to know how he'll be for sure in the NHL until they give him the same chance with the big club.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:03 PM   #76
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone judging Wolf based off of that fiasco last night needs to reevaluate. That was a dud of a game reminiscent of last season with countless turn-overs and a brutal effort. Sure, he could have made a few more saves. Why is the rookie goalie not allowed to have struggles adapting when we expect it out of forwards and d.

This really just further emphasizes why he needs to be up and playing games at the NHL level. I'd rather have some struggles as we end this lost season than have it bleed further into next year.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:05 PM   #77
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The speed of the game and shots ramp up pretty significantly when players get to the NHL. It shouldn't be shocking that a goalie who isn't regularly facing game conditions at that level may have some difficulty when inserted into a game after a lengthy time away. It is one of the challenges that even backups in the NHL have to deal with.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:57 PM   #78
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

1 and 2 were bad turnovers but like I said he looked bad on the save attempt. If that was Markstrom or Vladar they would have got roasted hard.

How many bad nights before they go hmmmmmmm?

Does Vladar get the same treatment?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:01 PM   #79
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Anyone judging Wolf based off of that fiasco last night needs to reevaluate. That was a dud of a game reminiscent of last season with countless turn-overs and a brutal effort. Sure, he could have made a few more saves. Why is the rookie goalie not allowed to have struggles adapting when we expect it out of forwards and d.

This really just further emphasizes why he needs to be up and playing games at the NHL level. I'd rather have some struggles as we end this lost season than have it bleed further into next year.
Guess we can keep saying that but the teams are so close now one or two bad goals decide games. At some point he’s either going to have to adjust or his rope is going to be shortened.

It’s still a production league.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:34 PM   #80
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
How many bad nights before they go hmmmmmmm?

Does Vladar get the same treatment?
More than one bad game in what isn't even his first full season in the NHL.

When it comes to Vladar and Markstrom Vladar gets the same slack. People aren't as upset with him over a bad game as they are with Markstrom. But because he's a full-time NHLer it's different than it is with Wolf.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote