Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #61
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Time for a new machine for me. I'm coming up dry on Kijiji right now. Can get a Resmed 10 for $1000 online. Is there anywhere else I should shop? I'm not covered at all by any plans for this, so the Calgary clinics may be out as they tend to be fairly pricey.
try cpapclinic.ca
I've ordered things from there, masks and other things.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #62
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks Duffman, I was needing new filters and never make it to the store. Just ordered 6 months worth
Bmuzyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #63
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Time for a new machine for me. I'm coming up dry on Kijiji right now. Can get a Resmed 10 for $1000 online. Is there anywhere else I should shop? I'm not covered at all by any plans for this, so the Calgary clinics may be out as they tend to be fairly pricey.
Do you need a new machine because the current one is worn out?
If yes, what is the average life span for one of these?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #64
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My doctor said you can expect about five years out of them. My machine is basically five years to the day right now. It just seems louder and not as tight as it once was. There is probably some life left in it and I'm going to keep it for camping and as a backup, but I think it's time to retire it as my daily driver.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #65
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuzyka View Post
Thanks Duffman, I was needing new filters and never make it to the store. Just ordered 6 months worth
They have some good sales every few months too.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #66
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My doctor said you can expect about five years out of them. My machine is basically five years to the day right now. It just seems louder and not as tight as it once was. There is probably some life left in it and I'm going to keep it for camping and as a backup, but I think it's time to retire it as my daily driver.

5 Years? that sucks. My company will pay for 1 per lifetime, and I've been waiting to cash in on it, as my old one still works. It's probably 12 years old or so by now. The motor was replaced under a recall about 5 years ago.

You should check someplace like Victoria Kijiji, someplace where there is a lot of old people.

I just looked on amazon and while I didn't find any machine, I did find an interesting book

Last edited by DuffMan; 03-19-2015 at 08:00 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #67
SlapPuck
Draft Pick

Having trouble sleeping is the worst. I have been thinking about doing this test as well but not sure if its sleep apnea or just my head going 100mph every minute, I must wake up like 10 times per night. I always hear people that have sleep apnea are big snorers but I don't snore so i'm told. Is it possible to have this condition without snoring?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #68
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapPuck View Post
Having trouble sleeping is the worst. I have been thinking about doing this test as well but not sure if its sleep apnea or just my head going 100mph every minute, I must wake up like 10 times per night. I always hear people that have sleep apnea are big snorers but I don't snore so i'm told. Is it possible to have this condition without snoring?
Yes, snoring is a possible sign of obstructive sleep apnea. There is also central sleep apnea when the brain doesn't regulate breathing properly during sleep.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #69
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

For those of you who wear the full face masks, try out the Resmed Mirage Liberty. Eliminates anything touching your forehead or the bridge of your nose. Highly recommended, especially if you sleep on your side or stomach and find yourself waking up with red marks on your forehead and nose. Used to happen to me all the time, and I was always having to explain the weird marks on my face.

Save Us Sutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #70
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bumping to see if there is a consensus clinic to pick for the sleep test? And if the take home tests are decent, or if someone should bite the bullet and do the sleep-over test.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Bumping to see if there is a consensus clinic to pick for the sleep test? And if the take home tests are decent, or if someone should bite the bullet and do the sleep-over test.
Peak Sleep Clinic.

1-855-738-7325

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #72
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took my test at a place in mindapore/sun dance called the center for sleep performance.

I did the take home test, it was hard to get a real quality sleep with all the wires and stuff.

The take home test was $200 the sleep over test was $800 or so.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #73
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dream Sleep has a few locations. The tech I saw was good. I swear the take home test was the worst sleep of my life (something about tubes, tape and body hair) but apparently they got enough data
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #74
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Us Sutter View Post
For those of you who wear the full face masks, try out the Resmed Mirage Liberty. Eliminates anything touching your forehead or the bridge of your nose. Highly recommended, especially if you sleep on your side or stomach and find yourself waking up with red marks on your forehead and nose. Used to happen to me all the time, and I was always having to explain the weird marks on my face.

I tried a variety of masks and couldn't get comfortable. I always ripped them off in my sleep. I'm going the dental appliance route instead - supposed to work well for milder apnea like I have
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #75
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I did the overnight thing at the centre for sleep and human performance or whatever it's called in Sundance. They gave me a sleeping pill to help me sleep because of all the wires and tubes. I had a great night!

Just picked up my new ResMed machine last week. I got the AirSense Elite 10. It is so pimp. It's basically silent, has a heated hose, WiFi, auto on when I put the mask on...I love it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #76
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Unless your health in trouble I would skip the over night exam. That us if you are on a budget.

The take home test is a good starting point. I would go to Avant Sleep, they only charge for the mask, then you meet with a doctor and discuss treatment.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #77
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wake up a lot through the night and think it might be apnea. I wake up in the mornings feeling like I hardly slept.

Could I go directly to a sleep clinic like the ones mentioned in this thread or would I need to start with a referral from a doctor?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #78
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the home test, slept fine with the finger clamp and air tube. There was a charge for the test but whatever it was they credited towards the machine. Overall it wasn't very expensive, I'm thinking $1200 all in for a refurbished machine?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #79
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I wake up a lot through the night and think it might be apnea. I wake up in the mornings feeling like I hardly slept.

Could I go directly to a sleep clinic like the ones mentioned in this thread or would I need to start with a referral from a doctor?
For me I just made an appointment online and walked in.
They sent a note to my doctor after I was diagnosed with apnea so it could be put in my file but I never needed a referral.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have severe sleep apnea. Apparently 34 interruptions/hour which means I have to use one of these machines. I don't care too much about price or anything as I'm looking for the most comfortable and quiet unit. Anyone tried multiple machines/masks have any advice?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote