Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #61
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why isn't honey called bee vomit?

MMMMMMMmmmmmm bee vomit.

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #62
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why does anyone care if somebody says they have a gluten intolerance? And why is everyone so up in arms over the abundance of available gluten free food?
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #63
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Why does anyone care if somebody says they have a gluten intolerance? And why is everyone so up in arms over the abundance of available gluten free food?
General frustration with science illiteracy, and the spread of alternative health woo into the mainstream?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #64
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
General frustration with science illiteracy, and the spread of alternative health woo into the mainstream?
So? That's been happening since the dawn of humans and will be forever, but gluten free isn't really harming anybody as far as I know.

So now you have more food options to ignore. Not much of an issue to me. Some people are changing their diets and feel better about it. Maybe it's placebo/nocebo taking affect. Who cares? It's not changing how anybody else eats, so why should it matter?

Sure, there are gluten free folk that get all preachy about it, just like any other thing. If it's not gluten free, it's something else. The next time somebody talks about how they only eat natural gluten free salads, are you going to chime in about how they're an idiot or are you going to carry on with your life?

There are far bigger, more irritating, and dangerous decisions being made than this. It feels like the people here that are ready to pop out and say "I told you so!" are just as smug as those that they are pointing their fingers at. Mind you, I'm being just as smug right now so it's not like I'm the bastion of opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #65
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Charlatans are making fortunes off the gullible. Governments seem reluctant to regulate. People are not getting to the bottom of their real deficiencies.

http://whatstheharm.net

http://www.prevention.com/food/healt...en-free-eating

But for the majority of us who are not bothered by gluten, are there real benefits to the diet overhaul? Not really, although some people report feeling better after reducing their intake of products with gluten. But take note: A food billed as “gluten-free" isn't necessarily healthier. Gluten-free products can be high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates, and some people who go gluten-free actually gain weight

The dangers of going gluten-free

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/gone-gluten-free/

Last edited by troutman; 05-22-2014 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #66
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gullible people will always fall for something. Like I said before, at least gluten free isn't dangerous. It's not the same as homeopathy or anti-vaccinations.

If somebody wants to eat gluten free crackers and pay an extra $2 for them then that's their business. And at least this whole fad is benefiting those who are actually celiac.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #67
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
While celiac disease is obviously real, and gluten sensitivity affects some people, there are definitely those who think they have it due to placebo affect.

---Warning: Anecdotal Evidence Ahead---

For instance, one friend of mine who claims to be feeling much, much better since he stopped eating gluten a few months ago. He has a wide variety of detailed symptoms that have stopped happening to him. He was telling me all about it after work while drinking a few grasshoppers on a patio on Stephen Ave.

For those who might not be aware, grasshopper is a wheat beer.

Haha, did he have dark rimmed glasses, a huge beard, and some super tight ass jeans
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #68
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Let me sum it up for you in the form of a joke...

How can you tell when someone eats gluten free?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Frankly, it's annoying. If you're gluten free, that's fine with me. Save your breath, though. I don't need to hear about it at dinner. I don't want my dinner companion talking to me about it, and I don't want to overhear the four 30 year old women at the table behind me go on and on about "LIKE... Since I stopped eating gluten, my like, body, is like, sooooo much healthier!!"
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #69
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Charlatans are making fortunes off the gullible. Governments seem reluctant to regulate. People are not getting to the bottom of their real deficiencies.

http://whatstheharm.net

http://www.prevention.com/food/healt...en-free-eating

But for the majority of us who are not bothered by gluten, are there real benefits to the diet overhaul? Not really, although some people report feeling better after reducing their intake of products with gluten. But take note: A food billed as “gluten-free" isn't necessarily healthier. Gluten-free products can be high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates, and some people who go gluten-free actually gain weight

The dangers of going gluten-free

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/gone-gluten-free/
Charlatans are everywhere. Take a look at lawyers and what they charge.
There are far more important issues to look at then this gluten diet boom.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #70
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Finally, I'm sick of people who self-diagnose themselves with food allergies or food sensitivities. These people end up holding any common meal gatherings hostage.
:ugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #71
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

Frankly, it's annoying. If you're gluten free, that's fine with me. Save your breath, though. I don't need to hear about it at dinner. I don't want my dinner companion talking to me about it, and I don't want to overhear the four 30 year old women at the table behind me go on and on about "LIKE... Since I stopped eating gluten, my like, body, is like, sooooo much healthier!!"
I'll extend that a bit. Anything to do with health just drives me up the wall when it's brought up as legitimate conversation.

Oh you just ran a 1/4 marathon in preparation of a hopefully full marathon at a later date?

You've completely cut X out of your diet and that's why your ordering salad while everyone else is ordering wings on F-ing wing night?

You're tired and it's important for us to know that you would have been fine if it was just work, but you're deadest on doing a morning work out no matter how tired you are?

Really, it's all garbage to me. I know certain amounts of conversation are going to naturally be about "me", but all the health/excersize related talk just adds no value to a conversation. It's like negative value. Like the other person is standing there thinking "okay ****ing great, shut up already and let's talk about something funny or at least semi-interesting".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #72
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Haha my boss constantly talks about his runs and his gluten-free diet so this thread is hilarious.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #73
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I'll extend that a bit. Anything to do with health just drives me up the wall when it's brought up as legitimate conversation.

Oh you just ran a 1/4 marathon in preparation of a hopefully full marathon at a later date?

You've completely cut X out of your diet and that's why your ordering salad while everyone else is ordering wings on F-ing wing night?

You're tired and it's important for us to know that you would have been fine if it was just work, but you're deadest on doing a morning work out no matter how tired you are?

Really, it's all garbage to me. I know certain amounts of conversation are going to naturally be about "me", but all the health/excersize related talk just adds no value to a conversation. It's like negative value. Like the other person is standing there thinking "okay ****ing great, shut up already and let's talk about something funny or at least semi-interesting".
Seven things to never talk about. sleep, period, health, diet, dreams, money, and route talk.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...511/transcript
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #74
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

Oh I get it. But again, so? So what if it's annoying? I don't expect you to lean over to another table and say "actually, a recent study has shown that you're wrong and a ####ing idiot."

It makes no difference whether or not gluten intolerance is real. All it does is give people ammunition to call others out on their bull####. But that doesn't get anybody anywhere. Like I said before, the annoying gluten free people would latch on to something else if not this. There should just be a crusade against annoying idiots for being annoying idiots rather than this. Especially since this gluten free fad has still actually been beneficial for people who have legitimate problems.

This new study isn't going to make the annoying people shut up. It'll probably just make them say "yeah, I knew all those other people were faking it. Not me though."

So we either deal with the idiots who will latch onto the next trend, or we keep fighting their dumbasses until gluten free becomes uncool and people with celiac go back to eating celery and corn starch.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #75
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because as a Chef I find it incredibly annoying to have to cater to these idiots, as with all food trends, and suddenly in the last few years always being asked "Is xxxx gluten free?" "Do you have a gluten free menu?" "I can't eat that I'm gluten intolerant"

I have zero problem catering to the needs of my guests, it's what I'm for, but when it's for some completely made up, pretentious, self diagnosed BS, it starts to get on my nerves.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #76
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Charlatans are everywhere. Take a look at lawyers and what they charge.
There are far more important issues to look at then this gluten diet boom.
Like worrying about what other people worry about.

Lawyer fees are regulated beyond the market - can be reviewed by the Law Society, or taxed by the court. Charlatans get disbarred.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 AM   #77
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Haha my boss constantly talks about his runs and his gluten-free diet so this thread is hilarious.
I read this as his "runs" and not his trots... I mean exercise.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #78
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only reasons the gluten "sensitive" crowd has ever bothered me is that my brother is Celiac, which is actually pretty serious and can be debilitating if he eats the wrong things, and the lack of understanding that is implemented by those who claim sensitivity.

If you don't want to eat gluten, don't, but at least know what gluten is IN, and don't argue with me when I say "oh that doesn't have gluten" or "be careful, that has gluten" because unlike most people, I have had to read through a boatload of dietary material to make sure that when my brother comes over for dinner, I don't put him in excruciating pain.

But hey, go ahead and say you're gluten sensitive for whatever made up reason you want, just leave your invention out of the conversation when people are discussing celiac and other real illnesses.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #79
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once had a girl tell me she might be Celiac because she can't eat steak or pork...

What the hell do you even say to that? At least research the disease if you're going to pretend to have it. Whole trend is just a giant middle finger to the people who really can't eat gluten.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #80
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Once had a girl tell me she might be Celiac because she can't eat steak or pork...

What the hell do you even say to that? At least research the disease if you're going to pretend to have it. Whole trend is just a giant middle finger to the people who really can't eat gluten.
That's incredible...

I have celiac disease and while there are some issues that come along with people not taking the disease seriously because it's often viewed as a "fad" I'd argue that the increased exposure has made my life a hell of a lot easier. I can actually feel comfortable going out to a restaurant with friends which is something most people probably take for granted.

I honestly don't care what other people choose to put in their bodies and I am not sure why it seems to bother so many posters in this thread. That being said, I'd never wish this diet on my enemy. I miss beer and good pizza.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post: