Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #61
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Up until last year, I used to travel all over North America for work. Although I wouldn't be out 'Hittin It', I would check out the local hot spots out of curiosity. As much as I have loved living here for the past 10 years, I can say that Downtown Van has the highest D Bag factor out of anywhere I've been. Too many guys that feel they have something to prove.

I've felt more comfortable as a white guy in the Tenderloin at night, than on Granville St.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #62
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is the perfect thread for me! I worked in nightclubs in Vancouver for 3 years and had Lucic at our club on occasion.

Yes. Vancouver nightclub goers are bog-trodding troglodytes. They are an awful breed of people fuelled on cocaine and vodka-redbulls.

Granville St, despite it being supremely ######y and dangerous due to the packs of men who roam like wolves from club to club, is safer than the clubs off the main strip because of the Bar Watch system. Every person has their ID scanned on the way in and if you are a part of known gang you can't go in. There is a gang task force that visits any club where an id gets scanned that they have flagged.

The clubs that aren't a part of bar watch just off the strip have the less mouthy but far more scary variety of gangster and chthonian types.

I've seen chairs thrown and bottles smashed and police tape and knife fights.

So happy to be out of that scene.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #63
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Absolutely nothing wrong with hating the Downtown Vancouver club scene. ######bag guys who will sucker punch you for ####-blocking them from date raping your friend (true story, how I lost my tooth) and pretentious females who have about as much class as the hookers slumming the DTES.

I feel bad that Lucic has to take this abuse because of his job. The Church thing, now this. You can't blame him for now hating where he is from. We all turned on him, not the other way around.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
Up until last year, I used to travel all over North America for work. Although I wouldn't be out 'Hittin It', I would check out the local hot spots out of curiosity. As much as I have loved living here for the past 10 years, I can say that Downtown Van has the highest D Bag factor out of anywhere I've been. Too many guys that feel they have something to prove.

I've felt more comfortable as a white guy in the Tenderloin at night, than on Granville St.
that is the biggest thing, it's like the d bag champions of all surrounding areas come to the thunderdome to prove they can be the biggest d bag of them all

and it happens every weekend....
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #65
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
This is the perfect thread for me! I worked in nightclubs in Vancouver for 3 years and had Lucic at our club on occasion.

Yes. Vancouver nightclub goers are bog-trodding troglodytes. They are an awful breed of people fuelled on cocaine and vodka-redbulls.

Granville St, despite it being supremely ######y and dangerous due to the packs of men who roam like wolves from club to club, is safer than the clubs off the main strip because of the Bar Watch system. Every person has their ID scanned on the way in and if you are a part of known gang you can't go in. There is a gang task force that visits any club where an id gets scanned that they have flagged.

The clubs that aren't a part of bar watch just off the strip have the less mouthy but far more scary variety of gangster and chthonian types.

Completely agree. I live on Main st and frequent these other bars, the difference is huge. Worst thing I have seen happen on Granville is someone getting punched in the face. In the bars I usually frequent it's more knife fights, junkies trying to stab you with a needle, glassings etc. GOOD FUN.
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #66
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

the problem with Vancouver is the bridge and tunnel crowds on weekends... surrey. Langley. Burnaby. North Van. etc etc
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EYE_Overstand For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #67
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Vancouver people are just different. It's science. Honestly I spent a few weeks there and it felt like I wasn't in Canada. The politeness disappeared. It didn't feel like a community or a city who was connected. It seemed like America with all the dbags I encountered. Beautiful city wasted on bad people.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #68
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE_Overstand View Post
North Van.
Wat.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #69
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Vancouver people are just different. It's science. Honestly I spent a few weeks there and it felt like I wasn't in Canada. The politeness disappeared. It didn't feel like a community or a city who was connected. It seemed like America with all the dbags I encountered. Beautiful city wasted on bad people.
I blame the lack of snow. ....
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #70
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver sure has it's giant share of D bags & gang problems, but the bars are for the most part very very safe.
Having grown up in Calgary and now living in Van, I have far more concerns when I'm in Calgary bars than here in Vancouver.

Vancouver is much easier to pick and choose where you go, and unless your'e going to the douchy bars, you tend to not run into those types of people anyway.

In Calgary there seems to be less segregation of types of people and it's very hard to avoid these people. The middle class gangsters show up almost anywhere you are, and you can't avoid them if you try.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #71
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Vancouver sure has it's giant share of D bags & gang problems, but the bars are for the most part very very safe.
Having grown up in Calgary and now living in Van, I have far more concerns when I'm in Calgary bars than here in Vancouver.

Vancouver is much easier to pick and choose where you go, and unless your'e going to the douchy bars, you tend to not run into those types of people anyway.

In Calgary there seems to be less segregation of types of people and it's very hard to avoid these people. The middle class gangsters show up almost anywhere you are, and you can't avoid them if you try.
Lol bars are only safe in Vancouver because people don't go to a lot of the bars because of gangsters. That's more safe than Calgary to you? We had a Vancouver cop on a horse tell us we should rethink walking into a bar because it was mostly an Asian gang banger bar and we had no clue. That doesn't scream safe to me.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #72
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Lol bars are only safe in Vancouver because people don't go to a lot of the bars because of gangsters. That's more safe than Calgary to you? We had a Vancouver cop on a horse tell us we should rethink walking into a bar because it was mostly an Asian gang banger bar and we had no clue. That doesn't scream safe to me.
I don't want to risk getting into a Puckluck argument, cause I know how useless those are, but as a Calgarian who's actually lived in both cities and gone to many many bars in both, I think I have a better understanding of the situation than you.

I like to hate on the Canucks and their fans as much as anyone, but you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the bar scene in Vancouver.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #73
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary was always quite annoying when i was clubbing often about 10 years back (wow, can't believe it's been that long). getting into some stupidness at the club was a normal occurrence once out of every 2-3 times going to the big clubs in the city. Can't speak too much about vancouver, but have heard it's even worse.

Toronto is awesome that way. I went to the nicest clubs in the city to the most downright ghetto ones (mmm soca/reggae parties), and never felt uncomfortable or had any kind of issues.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #74
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Calgary was always quite annoying when i was clubbing often about 10 years back (wow, can't believe it's been that long). getting into some stupidness at the club was a normal occurrence once out of every 2-3 times going to the big clubs in the city. Can't speak too much about vancouver, but have heard it's even worse.

Toronto is awesome that way. I went to the nicest clubs in the city to the most downright ghetto ones (mmm soca/reggae parties), and never felt uncomfortable or had any kind of issues.
Good old $1 draft at Outlaws. Don't think I have ever been into so many fights with morons at one place.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #75
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
To be fair though, both of those cities fanbases deserve each other.
Yeah, in the US, when it comes to crappy human beings, Boston is second only to Philadelphia. Way too much pent up try-hard aggression in that town.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #76
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly is rough, but Boston is pretty racist, I put that worse.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #77
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I don't want to risk getting into a Puckluck argument, cause I know how useless those are, but as a Calgarian who's actually lived in both cities and gone to many many bars in both, I think I have a better understanding of the situation than you.

I like to hate on the Canucks and their fans as much as anyone, but you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the bar scene in Vancouver.
I think I'd rather trust the poster up there who has worked at Vancouver bars and didn't shy away from the dangerous ones like you did. Maybe that's why you think they're safe because you went to the club playing country music filled with middles aged people? That's the only was I can think of you coming to the conclusion that Calgary clubs are more dangerous than Vancouver clubs.

Just from this thread from Vancouverites, just like you:

Completely agree. I live on Main st and frequent these other bars, the difference is huge. Worst thing I have seen happen on Granville is someone getting punched in the face. In the bars I usually frequent it's more knife fights, junkies trying to stab you with a needle, glassings etc. GOOD FUN.

Another guy from Vancouver who actually worked in a Vancouver bar.

Annnnd Blaster86 who is usually defending Vancouver

Absolutely nothing wrong with hating the Downtown Vancouver club scene. ######bag guys who will sucker punch you for ####-blocking them from date raping your friend (true story, how I lost my tooth) and pretentious females who have about as much class as the hookers slumming the DTES.

I feel bad that Lucic has to take this abuse because of his job. The Church thing, now this. You can't blame him for now hating where he is from. We all turned on him, not the other way around.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #78
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates

I think I'd rather trust the poster up there who has worked at Vancouver bars and didn't shy away from the dangerous ones like you did. Maybe that's why you think they're safe because you went to the club playing country music filled with middles aged people? That's the only was I can think of you coming to the conclusion that Calgary clubs are more dangerous than Vancouver clubs.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #79
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred
Quote:

Originally Posted by puckluck2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates

wow 3 quotes

Ive lived in both Vancouver and Calgary both cities bars arent much different. Both have ######bags and do stupid things. Comparing who has the worst ######bags is really pointless. Both cities have there highs and lows, just because theres a huge hate for Canucks and their fans, doesnt mean the Vancouver bars are miles worse then Calgary's.

Ive met many great Canadians in Vancouver, and many a holes in Calgary. Both are great cities to visit with morons to watch out for.

calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #80
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
getting into some stupidness at the club was a normal occurrence once out of every 2-3 times going to the big clubs in the city.
I don't understand this. I went to clubs and bars for ten years in Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto and my friends and I never once got into any altercation. It's quite easy to avoid confrontation in these places, just have patience and use common sense.

I think the company you're with really does determine the type of night you're about to have.

Nevertheless, people who fight at clubs and bars take life waaaay too seriously anyways. It isn't worth it, and never will be. More smiles! Less fists.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote