Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #61
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I listened to 32 Thoughts this afternoon, and I have to say that I like what Marek had to say. To the effect of - these guys knowingly sacrifice their bodies in an effort to earn life-changing money, and that comes with a lot of pain, pressure, stress and anxiety; guys do what they can to cope, so we should not be too critical or self- righteous about their use of "aids". I think that captures the spirit of the thing.
No one is judging the players for using. There's concern about over prescribing by their employers leading to addiction problems.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #62
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
No one is judging the players for using. There's concern about over prescribing by their employers leading to addiction problems.

Particularly when it is not under the prescription and supervision of a physician. There is a reason we only give physicians and limited other professionals. A team should not be dictating that - even if the team has strong influence over the team doctors.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #63
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I have had anxiety and depression my entire life, i'm at the point where people like Lehner who continue to play victim while earning millions of dollars is getting tiresome.

It doesn't matter if someone put pills in front of your face, it's up to YOU to take them

Lehner is unhinged, I still don't know why Vegas went with that guy over a fan favorite and much better goalie in Fluery..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #64
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
I have had anxiety and depression my entire life, i'm at the point where people like Lehner who continue to play victim while earning millions of dollars is getting tiresome.

It doesn't matter if someone put pills in front of your face, it's up to YOU to take them

Lehner is unhinged, I still don't know why Vegas went with that guy over a fan favorite and much better goalie in Fluery..
Well aren’t you just better than everyone.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #65
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Kind of a ####ty post tbh. Your experience isn't his experience. Earning millions of dollars doesn't make anxiety and depression easier.

When it comes to depression, especially, I don't really buy that someone who has actual experience with it would accuse someone else of playing the victim and being unhinged. You should know better.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #66
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

As someone that's dealt with severe depression since I was a young child, that's an insane and tone deaf post.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #67
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Kind of a ####ty post tbh. Your experience isn't his experience. Earning millions of dollars doesn't make anxiety and depression easier.

When it comes to depression, especially, I don't really buy that someone who has actual experience with it would accuse someone else of playing the victim and being unhinged. You should know better.
Actually I would think earning millions of dollars for sure would make anxiety and depression “easier” based on the fact that affordability of treatment is much less of a problem to worry about.

But I agree otherwise with the intent / spirit of what you are getting at. It doesn’t or wouldn’t make pain arising from the symptoms any “easier” since money obviously has nothing to do with that.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #68
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Congrats on the dumbest post ever on this forum, I think.

Lehner's been bringing mental health stuff to the front focus for years. That's a good thing. A guy with "anxiety and depression" should realize what a champion Lehner's been. Look it up.

Last edited by TheSquatch; 10-05-2021 at 08:22 PM.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #69
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This is an asinine post. I've also dealt with depression and I can tell you, Lehner has been an inspiration to me.

You, on the other hand, I'm sure nobody looks up to.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #70
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I listened to 32 Thoughts this afternoon, and I have to say that I like what Marek had to say. To the effect of - these guys knowingly sacrifice their bodies in an effort to earn life-changing money, and that comes with a lot of pain, pressure, stress and anxiety; guys do what they can to cope, so we should not be too critical or self- righteous about their use of "aids". I think that captures the spirit of the thing.
I listened too and I am pretty sure he said we should avoid shaming them which is totally different than what the problem has been.

Last edited by Knightslayer; 10-05-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #71
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t even care if Lehner is in it for the attention and the drama. This isn’t about him and I don’t care at all about his motives.

Fact of the matter is that the most at risk are young players who haven’t secured a spot on the team. Not just for the nhl but other sports, especially ones without guaranteed contracts or college kids like ncaa football.

These guys will do anything for an advantage to secure their careers and when a person in a position of trust, like a doctor or a coach, tells you to do something, you do it. They can torpedo your career if you don’t listen.

Think of college football players who are basically slaves, playing for programs that make billions and where the coaches make millions. If they don’t take those pills, then it puts them at a massive risk.

Teams absolutely need to take these kinds of accusations seriously. As time goes by I think the truth will come out, just like it did with concussions, like it has with financial literacy, like it has with PEDs etc.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #72
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Now this was years ago but when I was 15-16 years old playing back then (late 80'sish) there were bowls of sudafed being passed around and we'd eat em like m&m's and you just did it. No one thought twice about it. Granted it's far from the same thing but popping pills or whatever has been around for ages. At least now it's being brought out more into the open to talk about it.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #73
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Guess what? I have had anxiety and depression my entire life also. That doesn't mean Lehner is unhinged. He's talking about an issue that needs to be addressed.

To think that it's up to you is not dealing with reality. If a team trainer offers you meds a player might be inclined to take them. There are lots of people and players that are ignorant about Benzo's and the dangers involed.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #74
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
This is an asinine post. I've also dealt with depression and I can tell you, Lehner has been an inspiration to me.

You, on the other hand, I'm sure nobody looks up to.
I agree that it is a bad post and I don't agree at all with what was said, but the shot at the end was completely unnecessary and rude. I don't know Jordan, but I am sure that he has people in his life that love him and look up to him, that's part of being a member of a family and society as a whole.

Perhaps in a conversation about being open and promoting mental health and overall wellness we can modulate our tone a bit and limit bullying type behaviours.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #75
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being in a profession like Lehner's would likely make anxiety and depression worse.

It's super competitive and the mistakes you make get blown out of proportion on a regular basis.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #76
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Lehner was also on Spittin Chiclets recently and one of his main points was the stigmatization against mental health issues and the disadvantage most people have, especially in the U.S., when it comes to obtaining the medications they likely need to function properly. He said the NHL covered his bipolar (I think) meds and they were astronomical, something an average person would not be able to realistically afford.

It was a really good conversation regarding the issues surrounding mental health, with his own personal experiences brought in for context. I'd hardly say he was playing a victim, and he was arguing for those that aren't in a privileged position like him.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #77
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1445080399072448523
Old 10-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #78
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This seems to be turning into Essendon Bombers of 2012 from the AFL (although no WADA).

Here, take this peptide, it'll be good for you.
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #79
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything above is noise. Motivation. Character issues. Doesn't matter. Are NHL teams prescribing addictive drugs without informing the players of the risk. That's all that matters. If the latter is true, that is a huge problem.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:49 AM   #80
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do think that players need to make sure they are getting 2nd opinion's and making sure that their financial and physical health are being looked at for their best interest.

The level of stress, pressure and the need to perform at as close to 100% is immense but players need to be smart and ask questions too and follow up.

A lot of these players know this and generally are extremely careful with things like supplements and more to avoid any issues with performance enhancing's drugs.

Pain medicine abuse has been a long time issue for athletes and for the general population as a whole. Way too much of this stuff being floated around and it's not good.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good