Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #7901
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If the Flames were ever going to do anything whacky/bold, I’d be okay with a wild payment for Eichel.

To BUF: Hanifin, Bennett, Ryan, Pelletier, 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2023 1st
To CGY: Eichel, Mittelstadt

Re-sign Gaudreau, and committ to the top six of Gaudreau, Eichel, Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Monahan and Lindholm.

Tkachuk - Eichel - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Lucic - Backlund - Dube
Mittelstadt - Gawdin - Leivo

Giordano - Andersson
Valimaki - Tanev
Mackey - Nesterov

Expose Backlund in the expansion draft.

I’d prefer this path to ripping it all down.
How much do you think it costs to re-sign Tkachuk and Gaudreau? You also need to sign Dube and Valimaki next year. Mangiapane in Tkachuk/Gaudreau’s year. You get some relief in losing Gio that year, I guess. And you need to re-sign or replace Rittich. Pretty tight.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #7902
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames were ever going to do anything whacky/bold, I’d be okay with a wild payment for Eichel.

To BUF: Hanifin, Bennett, Ryan, Pelletier, 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2023 1st
To CGY: Eichel, Mittelstadt

So Buffalo is going to trade their franchise player for 3 underperformers and a bunch of magic beans?
Old 02-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #7903
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Who's the third underperformer? Hanifin has been pretty excellent this year. And I'm honestly not sure 10 iffy games from Ryan cancels out his previous four great seasons.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #7904
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No way does Buffalo make that deal. Bennett and Ryan are worthless in a trade, probably negative value at this point, so there is no use trying to include them...
The salary cap fits just fine. Also, Buffalo is going to have to take back some salary if they move Eichel. What centres do you actually think people will part with? Sorry, LA isn’t trading Byfield. Buffalo, I believe, would absolutely take that trade. It clears cap, it gives them a foundational piece in Hanifin (alongside Dahlin, the future of their D is then locked in). Zary could also be substituted for Pelletier, giving them two top centre prospects in Cozens and Zary (and yes, Zary is a Cozens level prospect, if not better).

The trade I proposed is better than what he’ll actually end up getting traded for. Three future 1st round picks + Pelletier is effectively 4 first round picks + a top pairing 24 year old defenceman locked in at a very fair number for 3 additional seasons beyond this one, a cap dump that expires after this season, and Bennett who we know Buffalo has had interest in before and is a change of scenery reclamation project with upside.

Cap wise, the only difficult year is 21/22 IF Seattle doesn’t claim one of Tanev or Backlund.

I imagine Gaudreau and Tkachuk are both $9M on long-term deals, with Monahan being around $7M, Valimaki being long-term around 4.5-5M, and Mang being in that $5M range too.

You know what top teams do? They spend money on the top of their roster to ensure they have an elite foundation, and then fill in the remaining roster with cheap utility players.

The salary cap would not be something that would prevent them from executing on this type of deal.

What do you nay sayers actually envision Buffalo getting for Eichel? The package I put out is a massive haul.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-27-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #7905
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah....i highly highly doubt the Sabres trade Eichel for anything really.

The Pegulas want to win....and now. There will not be a scorched earth there for a while, if ever, with them.

However theoretically if it happened, it automatically means that one of Tkachuk or Gaudreau are no longer here.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #7906
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

The Pegulas want to win....and now. There will not be a scorched earth there for a while, if ever, with them.

However theoretically if it happened, it automatically means that one of Tkachuk or Gaudreau are no longer here.
Agreed, a trade for Eichel has to include one of Monahan, Gaudreau or Tkachuk. You just can't afford to pay all 4 when contracts come up.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #7907
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Agreed, a trade for Eichel has to include one of Monahan, Gaudreau or Tkachuk. You just can't afford to pay all 4 when contracts come up.
Yes, you can. It’s okay to spend big cash on the top of your roster. It’s how you build a top team.

...it also prevents you from wasting money on useless, overpaid depth players.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #7908
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, you can. It’s okay to spend big cash on the top of your roster. It’s how you build a top team.

...it also prevents you from wasting money on useless, overpaid depth players.
With our current cap structure we can't really do that though. We've been crippled by some bad deals and buyouts.

I just don't think you can add $10m in Eichel and still run a roster that includes Backlund, Lucic, and Giordano, along with raises for Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Valimaki etc.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #7909
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

How are they going to fix that team though? They added Hall and Staal who are useful players and they still stink. I've never bought into the Krueger hype as I don't think he's a great head coach but they have been through a lot maybe similar to the Flames in that they haven't really hired a good one. Blysma had pedigree but things have gone south for him since the end of his Penguins tenure and he hasn't had a job since the Sabres fired him. They are similar to the Flames in that they probably need a big roster shakeup and maybe nobody should be untouchable on either roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #7910
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm the Sabres the conversation doesn't go anywhere unless Matthew Tkachuk is on the table.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #7911
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
If I'm the Sabres the conversation doesn't go anywhere unless Matthew Tkachuk is on the table.
Yeah.

My thought from that proposal a few posts ago was: drop Bennett and Ryan, and insert Tkachuk.

Tkachuk + Hanifin + what?
Old 02-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #7912
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah.

My thought from that proposal a few posts ago was: drop Bennett and Ryan, and insert Tkachuk.

Likely adding a couple high draft picks and one of Zary/Pelletier. You'll have to sell the farm for Eichel, and it would be worth it.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #7913
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not sure stupidly big money for the very top of the roster is as common as you might think for top teams. TB’s salaries are a little more balanced than I thought. St. Louis too. Vegas pays Stone a lot, and Alex P is up there but the rest is reasonable.

The Leafs are paying 3 guys over $10M, so we’ll see how that goes.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #7914
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With our current cap structure we can't really do that though. We've been crippled by some bad deals and buyouts.

I just don't think you can add $10m in Eichel and still run a roster that includes Backlund, Lucic, and Giordano, along with raises for Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Valimaki etc.
The 21/22 Season would be difficult if all three of Backlund, Giordano, and Tanev were still on the roster - but I imagine the team could manage that situation somehow.

If Eichel is acquirable, you do what you have to. The alternative to getting Eichel is to continue being mediocre and achieving nothing, or ripping it down and rebuilding and hoping you get lucky in the lottery.

I think this team needs to get over the idea that they can win without an elite centre.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #7915
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I still like my idea of a deal with Monahan and Mattias Ekholm as the two main pieces. Lots of talk that Nashville will move Ekholm for the right return.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #7916
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The 21/22 Season would be difficult if all three of Backlund, Giordano, and Tanev were still on the roster - but I imagine the team could manage that situation somehow.

If Eichel is acquirable, you do what you have to. The alternative to getting Eichel is to continue being mediocre and achieving nothing, or ripping it down and rebuilding and hoping you get lucky in the lottery.

I think this team needs to get over the idea that they can win without an elite centre.
I don't disagree, I was only speculating that to acquire Eichel, you need to move salary, and Buffalo will likely ask for one of our top players in return.

Even if it's Tkachuk I say you do it. This team has gone too long without an elite/high-end #1C.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #7917
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Monahan or Lindholm. No way does Buffalo trade their franchise center for anything less that a number one center back and another top forward. Think about what it would take if the Flames had Eichel. Would you be happy with a top four defenseman and a bunch of magic beans? Not a chance in hell. We're demanding a number one center and a top winger to make up for the loss. Buffalo already has defensemen out the ass. Ristolainen, Miller, Montour, Dahlen, McCabe, Borgen, Jokiharju (1st, 2019), Samuelsson (2nd, 2018), Laaksonen (3rd, 2017), Fitzgerald (3rd, 2016), Bryson (4th, 2017), Johnson (1st, 2019). Defense is not going to be the centerpiece of any deal for their franchise center ice man.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #7918
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Likely adding a couple high draft picks and one of Zary/Pelletier. You'll have to sell the farm for Eichel, and it would be worth it.
I don't know if you are adding that much. Tkachuk would be a very sought after price, and Hannifin is a solid top 4 with 2/3 potential.

Something around Tkachuk gets their attention.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #7919
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I still like my idea of a deal with Monahan and Mattias Ekholm as the two main pieces. Lots of talk that Nashville will move Ekholm for the right return.
Is that how the Flames get better? Trade their top center for a 30 year old top four defenseman? I don't see anything on the Predators' roster that makes me want to cough up a center.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #7920
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Monahan or Lindholm. No way does Buffalo trade their franchise center for anything less that a number one center back and another top forward. Think about what it would take if the Flames had Eichel. Would you be happy with a top four defenseman and a bunch of magic beans? Not a chance in hell. We're demanding a number one center and a top winger to make up for the loss. Buffalo already has defensemen out the ass. Ristolainen, Miller, Montour, Dahlen, McCabe, Borgen, Jokiharju (1st, 2019), Samuelsson (2nd, 2018), Laaksonen (3rd, 2017), Fitzgerald (3rd, 2016), Bryson (4th, 2017), Johnson (1st, 2019). Defense is not going to be the centerpiece of any deal for their franchise center ice man.
Tkachuk + Hanifin + Lindholm?

yeah, no
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread