Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2024, 11:31 PM   #761
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved it. The north is it's own thing and societal rules don't always apply at the edge of civilization. This was a fantastic walk through that idea.

Kinda wished we got some smarmy moment between the Silver Lake mining lady and Danvers as she put her in cuffs. That would have been fantastic as an add on.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:42 AM   #762
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Jodie Foster set the record for the most Fbombs in the 1st 10 mins of a show?

Pretty good. I liked it better than Season 3, which would have been better as a 6 episode series instead of 8.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:02 AM   #763
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m honestly shocked how many critics are calling this a masterpiece, better than season 1 etc. I actually laughed at the killers reveal like what was that?
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:03 AM   #764
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

That was definitely a show that existed.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 10:42 AM   #765
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not one for these deus ex endings, which this kind of felt like. There was definitely some underlying themes that I think they were hitting on, that somebody could probably articulate better than me.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:24 PM   #766
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nvm
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:28 PM   #767
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Nvm
My thoughts as well.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:00 PM   #768
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it. Nowhere near the level of S1, but still very watchable IMO. It did sag a bit in the middle episodes, but I thought they finished strong with episodes 5 and 6.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:47 AM   #769
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woof. The writing was bad. The plastic ice caves had me thinking maybe I was watching Under The Dome. No, this one was not good.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:19 AM   #770
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

It started off fine, but ultimately became forgettable / to bad.

In terms of True Detectives, i would put it last. I remember liking season 3, but can't remember much about it, so season 3 is above this one.

I need to rewatch season 2 as i feel we all judged it too harshly coming off season 1. It is still second best
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:26 AM   #771
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Woof. The writing was bad. The plastic ice caves had me thinking maybe I was watching Under The Dome. No, this one was not good.
The ice caves really bothered me. They were able to break into them, in the middle of the coldest part of the winter, by hand. Wouldn't that mean they would be melted in the summer?

Permafrost also isn't typically a bunch of frozen ice caves. It would be frozen ground, aka mud. Glaciers would be composed of ice, but you likely wouldn't see a large cave section of just crystal clear ice like that right near the surface. The section of ice would be all mixed with rock and mud. They also kept referring to it as permafrost and not a glacier.

It's like they designed the set after hearing the term "ice cave" and didn't actually bother to look at a picture of what that looks like.

Last edited by blankall; 02-20-2024 at 11:29 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:49 PM   #772
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry, but the lack of explanation for how the scientists could have been frozen in such a supernatural state is just garbage.

Why did the caribou jump off the cliff in the very first scene of the season?

Why did all the reclusive scientists become murders on behalf of their employer?

Why would they need pollution to soften the permafrost rather than simply treat the areas they are working on?

Why were all the cleaning ladies in the same house when the detectives came to talk to them?

Why didn't Danvers and Navarro just get in one of the vehicles and turn on the engine at Tsalal?

This was so bad it bordered on comical. This was truly one of the very worst series that I've watched start to finish. Virtually zero redeeming qualities, and above all, zero likeable characters.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-20-2024 at 02:18 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 02:05 PM   #773
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The ice caves really bothered me. They were able to break into them, in the middle of the coldest part of the winter, by hand. Wouldn't that mean they would be melted in the summer?

Permafrost also isn't typically a bunch of frozen ice caves. It would be frozen ground, aka mud. Glaciers would be composed of ice, but you likely wouldn't see a large cave section of just crystal clear ice like that right near the surface. The section of ice would be all mixed with rock and mud. They also kept referring to it as permafrost and not a glacier.

It's like they designed the set after hearing the term "ice cave" and didn't actually bother to look at a picture of what that looks like.
None of it made any sense. They entered the ice cave by breaking through what looks to be ocean ice, and then ended up in a snow and ice tunnel directly under the research station that was clearly built on solid ground.

The dudes were found killed by a "slab avalanche" while out on the ice? This was the final official cause of death, despite the look of fear, tangle of bodies, and clothes folded on the open ice that is not on a mountain, where a slab avalanche would actually occur.

And then you have the writing. Oh, please, Jodi, show indignation one more time when spirituality is mentioned. Really let us know you don't believe in that. We didn't get the picture in episode 1. I was so disappointment she had such trash to work with.

Or the ridiculousness of the mine, which I assume twirled it's own mustache as it listened to the research station dude telling them to dump MORE toxic pollutants because it helps them find a cure for who the #### cares anymore for reasons that are never explained. Like, if it was hot water discharge melting the permafrost it would make a fraction more sense. But why bother.

The whole thing was a series of mcguffins that were dropped as soon their usefulness expired in the march towards a nonsensical reveal of a commando revenge mission that made even less sense than the ice caves.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 03:05 PM   #774
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

Spoiler!
I cant even wrap my brains around that scene.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:09 PM   #775
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awful season.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:45 PM   #776
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
None of it made any sense. They entered the ice cave by breaking through what looks to be ocean ice, and then ended up in a snow and ice tunnel directly under the research station that was clearly built on solid ground.

The dudes were found killed by a "slab avalanche" while out on the ice? This was the final official cause of death, despite the look of fear, tangle of bodies, and clothes folded on the open ice that is not on a mountain, where a slab avalanche would actually occur.

And then you have the writing. Oh, please, Jodi, show indignation one more time when spirituality is mentioned. Really let us know you don't believe in that. We didn't get the picture in episode 1. I was so disappointment she had such trash to work with.

Or the ridiculousness of the mine, which I assume twirled it's own mustache as it listened to the research station dude telling them to dump MORE toxic pollutants because it helps them find a cure for who the #### cares anymore for reasons that are never explained. Like, if it was hot water discharge melting the permafrost it would make a fraction more sense. But why bother.

The whole thing was a series of mcguffins that were dropped as soon their usefulness expired in the march towards a nonsensical reveal of a commando revenge mission that made even less sense than the ice caves.
To be fair, I think the explanation was that the mine was doing things as cheaply (and thereby causing the most pollution) as they could. The scientists were falsifying the data, to make it look like it was cleaner than it was and within whatever guidelines they had to follow.

But yeah. I don't get how the caves were underneath the station. They clearly showed people driving up to the station multiple times on solid ground. They even showed some shots that had the background, and there's clearly solid dirt all around. The ice caves run underneath the dirt? Maybe it was just a regular cave, but covered in ice?

The moral compass of the story was also really strange. The cops seemed to commit, or were complicit in, more murders than they solved. They were basically just a hit squad. Guess that's okay if it means bringing down a mine...who didn't actually know they were committing any environmental issues. They just basically copied the scene from season one where Marty kills Ledoux, but made the killings less justified and heat of the moment.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 03:54 PM   #777
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It started off fine, but ultimately became forgettable / to bad.

In terms of True Detectives, i would put it last. I remember liking season 3, but can't remember much about it, so season 3 is above this one.

I need to rewatch season 2 as i feel we all judged it too harshly coming off season 1. It is still second best
While waiting for new episodes of the new season we finally got around to watching season 2- It was just ok but doesn't deserve all of the hate that it got.
While it's not about a big murder case like season 1, it got better, the main characters were pretty good, and it got better as it went on, but not as good as 1 or 3, which I am going to watch next. I agree that 4 was pretty weak for sure, lots of unanswered questions
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 04:10 PM   #778
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I'm sorry, but the lack of explanation for how the scientists could have been frozen in such a supernatural state is just garbage.

Why did the caribou jump off the cliff in the very first scene of the season?

Why did all the reclusive scientists become murders on behalf of their employer?

Why would they need pollution to soften the permafrost rather than simply treat the areas they are working on?

Why were all the cleaning ladies in the same house when the detectives came to talk to them?

Why didn't Danvers and Navarro just get in one of the vehicles and turn on the engine at Tsalal?

This was so bad it bordered on comical. This was truly one of the very worst series that I've watched start to finish. Virtually zero redeeming qualities, and above all, zero likeable characters.
Read somewhere that if you viewed this season as a True Detective parody, it was actually pretty good. Which seems about right
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 03:43 PM   #779
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I swear I was paying attention, did they ever explain what exactly happened with her dead kid? Like how he died or why or what happened? I feel now like I entered a fugue state when I watched this and can’t for the life of me remember it coming up. There was a brief flashback near the end of the show and then the one eyed polar bear that made her spin out the truck once.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:04 PM   #780
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

So.
Unbelievably.
Stupid.

I blame the GF for making me watch this trash.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote