Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #761
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed last year. Got a new BBQ (nothing fancy - $400-500 range if memory serves). But I really enjoyed evolving into a decent griller (with much left to learn!). My old BBQ was quite crappy and old, which caused a lot of uneven heat, fire bursts, etc. due to the old corroding parts. With the old crappy BBQ gone, I had no excuse anymore and got a lot better with my technique.

I'm not against grilling in the winter, but the location of my BBQ and the amount of snow has put it on hold since about Christmas. I'm really itching to get it going again, not just for the food, but also for the ritual of the smells and sounds, and a glass of wine in my hand. Spring can't come soon enough.

Not sure where I was going with all of that, other than some wishful daydreaming.

So let's talk about rotisseries. Any reason I should or shouldn't be looking at something like this for chicken and the odd roast? My BBQ didn't come with one, but they are easily added obviously.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #762
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I really enjoyed last year. Got a new BBQ (nothing fancy - $400-500 range if memory serves). But I really enjoyed evolving into a decent griller (with much left to learn!). My old BBQ was quite crappy and old, which caused a lot of uneven heat, fire bursts, etc. due to the old corroding parts. With the old crappy BBQ gone, I had no excuse anymore and got a lot better with my technique.

I'm not against grilling in the winter, but the location of my BBQ and the amount of snow has put it on hold since about Christmas. I'm really itching to get it going again, not just for the food, but also for the ritual of the smells and sounds, and a glass of wine in my hand. Spring can't come soon enough.

Not sure where I was going with all of that, other than some wishful daydreaming.

So let's talk about rotisseries. Any reason I should or shouldn't be looking at something like this for chicken and the odd roast? My BBQ didn't come with one, but they are easily added obviously.
I love my rotisserie burner at the back of my BBQ. Completely eliminated flare-ups since the fat doesn't drip onto flame.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #763
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I love my rotisserie burner at the back of my BBQ. Completely eliminated flare-ups since the fat doesn't drip onto flame.
So you're saying I need a new BBQ already? My wife will not be impressed.

A drip pan is necessary regardless of using the main burners or the special rotisserie burners though, right? I can picture that getting quite messy without.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #764
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So you're saying I need a new BBQ already? My wife will not be impressed.

A drip pan is necessary regardless of using the main burners or the special rotisserie burners though, right? I can picture that getting quite messy without.
Yes. I just use a disposable aluminum foil pan to collect drippings
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #765
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not saying you _need_ a new BBQ, but RFD usually had a thread in the spring about the best BBQ deals.

Probably find one or two on there with a rotisserie burner....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #766
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
When did grilling season end?

A while back

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #767
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
A while back
Spoiler!
No bbq cover?

I shovel off part of my deck so I can get to the bbq.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #768
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No bbq cover?

Yah I am also lucky my patio faces the sun - so the bbq cover causes the snow to melt quick off the bbq. Then a quick shovel and boom! We're grilling again.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #769
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No bbq cover?

Seriously.

Does he not own a shovel??

Does he not leave the house between October and April?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #770
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Yes. I just use a disposable aluminum foil pan to collect drippings
And make a gravy if wanted!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #771
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who has a pellet grill?

I have a decent propane bbq with a rear rotisserie horner but I am missing my smoker. I have done a lot of research online and am leaning towards a green mountain grill over the traeger for its pizza oven attachment and the wifi capabilities.

For those that have a pellet grill, do they provide an adequate amount of smoke or is one better off getting a true "smoker"? I used to have a bradley and we made some great stuff with it but I always thought that it was lacking in heat power.

Has anyone used a green mountain grill? What is your thoughts on the quality of the build? How about the pizza oven attachment? The thought of using the grill as both a smoker and a wood fired pizza oven is quite enticing.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #772
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smoking snobs or traditionalists will tell you that pellet grills are blasphemous, the fact is they work quite well. You can cook low and slow and get a pretty good smoke flavour or crank up and sear steak. I know 2 people with them and have had some really great smoked meat, brisket, whole chicken, beef ribs and pulled pork from them.

I own a Weber charcoal smoker so I went the more traditional way and really enjoy it, but if you want easy temperature control and the versatility of a smoker and a BBQ pellets seem to do both quite well.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #773
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
.....for its pizza oven attachment and the wifi capabilities....
wifi for a BBQ? are you planning on setting up a webcam or something?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #774
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grilling steaks (I know, here we go again). I've seen several times that you want the grill on high with the lid open. Makes sense in the summer but do people do that in the winter too?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #775
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Smoking snobs or traditionalists will tell you that pellet grills are blasphemous, the fact is they work quite well. You can cook low and slow and get a pretty good smoke flavour or crank up and sear steak. I know 2 people with them and have had some really great smoked meat, brisket, whole chicken, beef ribs and pulled pork from them.

I own a Weber charcoal smoker so I went the more traditional way and really enjoy it, but if you want easy temperature control and the versatility of a smoker and a BBQ pellets seem to do both quite well.
I don't think its trivial snobbery, its just about the physics behind how the sawdust pellets burn under a plate. The big knock against pellet "grills" is not about smoking, its in the context of actually trying to grill - you can't have high heat and generate lots of blue smoke, because they're inversely proportional. The higher the heat the less good smoke the pellets produce, and vice versa, so you really aren't adding much smoke flavor when grilling. Furthermore the heat from pellet grills is almost exclusively convection, not the radiant heat required for a desirable sear, which is one of the main reasons to grill something in the first place.

Its more accurate to think of them as solid slow cook smokers like a Bradley, rather than a decent grill.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #776
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
wifi for a BBQ? are you planning on setting up a webcam or something?

my guess would be for monitoring temperature?

i know one of my buddies has a thermometer that he can monitor on this phone.

he was telling me that he could be in down town kelowna and would know if his smoker/meat was at the correct temp. i asked him what good it would do if his smoker was too hot/cold and needing adjusting and he was 'down town kelowna'?
he told me that wasn't the point! ha! ha!

my cooking thermometer has a wireless transmitter that sends the smoker temp and meat temp to a 'base unit'. i love it - it's nice to be able to know what's going on in the smoker without having to go out to my deck to check (and you can also set up temp ranges so if the smoker gets too hot/cool it beeps at you to go check the smoker)

Last edited by bc-chris; 03-29-2018 at 01:58 PM.
bc-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #777
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a wifi thermometer and it’s pretty good actually. You can be doing whatever around the house and it lets you know when it’s done and how the progress. Obviously if you’re cooking burgers it’s not useful, but if you are doing a longer cook and have other things to do in the meantime it’s pretty good.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #778
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
I don't think its trivial snobbery, its just about the physics behind how the sawdust pellets burn under a plate. The big knock against pellet "grills" is not about smoking, its in the context of actually trying to grill - you can't have high heat and generate lots of blue smoke, because they're inversely proportional. The higher the heat the less good smoke the pellets produce, and vice versa, so you really aren't adding much smoke flavor when grilling. Furthermore the heat from pellet grills is almost exclusively convection, not the radiant heat required for a desirable sear, which is one of the main reasons to grill something in the first place.

Its more accurate to think of them as solid slow cook smokers like a Bradley, rather than a decent grill.
Interesting, every knock I've read about them is that because they are pellets and not solid pieces of wood the smoke isn't the same, which isn't really my experience with the end product I've had from them. I hadn't considered the radiant vs convection angle, like I said I don't own one. Obviously the manufacturers claim that they can sear.

Last edited by Hanni; 03-29-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #779
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I see that wood choice debate more as a matter of personal taste. The overwhelming majority of people go wrong in their smoking through poor temperature & time control, not their choice of smoke or style of smoker. Pellet smokers are a fine choice and make alot of sense for those of us with busy lives.

I think the whole Pellet grill label is more manufacturer marketing than anything, trying to broaden consumer appeal as a pseudo 2 in 1 device. You might as well just use your oven if you're not smoking with it.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #780
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i have a pellet smoker, a masterbuilt digital smoker and a homemade double barrel smoker. They all work great for different reasons. i have a cooked a steak on none of them and I don't intend to try. I have a Vermont Castings grill, which i love, that i cook steaks and other grilled items. Pellet smokers are not good replacements for grills.

As for pellet smokers, they were work well. Set it and forget it. My double barrel smoker does amazing but stoking the logs, adjusting the flues etc every 20 minutes burns you out when you are smoking a brisket. I am usually to drunk to remember what i started, which is why i went to the pellet smoker.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber