Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2024, 11:39 AM   #741
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
The only way it’s sooner if someone meets conroys price now. Can’t see him settling for a 2nd round pick if he thinks he can get a 1st round pick closer to the deadline.
With that many teams, the price should be driven up, right? Supply (only 1 Tanev) and demand (7 teams).
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 11:39 AM   #742
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
If you have a guy who is waffling to even a small degree with the kind of money currently on the table, to me, it means see you later. You want people that want to play in Calgary and this is looking more and more a situation of I'll possibly sign if the grass doesn't look quite as green elsewhere, or I'll only sign if I'm confident you are far outbidding everyone else, or if my 2-3 top destinations don't come to the table.

Cut your losses and move on while his value is high - the team is at the perfect crossroads to do so. At $7-8MAAV if his offense (which is not upper echelon at the best of times) dries up even to the extent of 30 points again, you aren't moving him down the road.
Hanifin is now up to 20th in the league for even strength points by a dman over the past 3 years. I am not sure what the definition of elite is but being a number one even strength points producer on 40% of the teams in the league has to be close to elite.

This year he is tied for 14th in even strength points and tied for 8th in even strength goals, so that is pretty good too.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 02-09-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 11:40 AM   #743
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the timing could be dependent on Hanifin's answer too.

If Hanifin says he's re-signing then maybe you are in less of a rush to move Tanev...because you only have one major piece to move before the deadline.

If you think you have to move Hanifin too you might want to move Tanev a little quicker because you don't want to worry about flooding your own market closer to the deadline.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:06 PM   #744
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yes, the tough decision is a choice between an iffy offer and an overpayment on an extension. You have to choose one or the other IMO in that situation.
Yeah.

And if I'm the GM, I'm taking the disappointing return on a trade over the overpayment all day long.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 12:08 PM   #745
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah.

And if I'm the GM, I'm taking the disappointing return on a trade over the overpayment all day long.
I agree, though it's never black and white.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM   #746
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Well this is good. Tanev is getting pretty banged up.

Could see him being taken out before playoffs even start

"Hurry conroy" indeed.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metroneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 12:18 PM   #747
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all this talk of re-signing the remaining two big ufa's it has me thinking that the team is not in a reboot mode, let alone a rebuild mode. And that this is more in line with Conroy's stated intention not to let anyone walk to free agency. This is asset management.

That's not really a criticism, I'm not in the burn it to the ground crowd anyway, and I don't think the org is either. I think they're introducing big changes and managing their assets, giving youth a shot and will obviously get some returns. But no big tear down.

I guess it all depends....
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 12:22 PM   #748
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
With all this talk of re-signing the remaining two big ufa's it has me thinking that the team is not in a reboot mode, let alone a rebuild mode. And that this is more in line with Conroy's stated intention not to let anyone walk to free agency. This is asset management.

That's not really a criticism, I'm not in the burn it to the ground crowd anyway, and I don't think the org is either. I think they're introducing big changes and managing their assets, giving youth a shot and will obviously get some returns. But no big tear down.

Yeah this isn't a rebuild or even an intentional retool. It's them prioritizing asset management after getting burned by johny.

If lindholm and hanifin were willing to re-sign at reasonable cap hits they would still be flames.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:22 PM   #749
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I think this is very much the case. The fact that the Flames have drafted and developed very well in the last 5 or so years might just make a rebuild impossible, as these kids just keep stepping in and looking NHL ready.

Sure is a fun group to watch right now if nothing else
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:23 PM   #750
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
That's not a tough choice for me. You take the iffy offer.

The NHL is an efficiency contest. You have X millions of dollars available (The Cap) you need to squeeze in as many wins as you can within X. Every dollar that you overpay on any roster spot is one less dollar that you have to accumulate wins in the remainder.

Now... sometimes it doesn't matter. If the team is a non-contender rebuilding you can have short-term inefficiencies galore because the wins you're losing out on don't matter. But you should avoid longterm inefficiencies because while losing those wins now might not matter it may matter very very much later in the deal.
No, no, no! Heretic! The NHL is not a numbers game!

These are human beings. Unique snowflakes on skates. We must not lose sight of how precious they are and overpay them accordingly for as long as the league will allow.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:00 PM   #751
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin has a fiancé so there’s everyone’s answer to what probably happens . And he had discussions with the whole family over the break. Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if the family wants him to play out the year and walk to free agency. An overpayment might sway him especially after seeing what happened to Johnny. Maybe the fiancé likes Calgary!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:33 PM   #752
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Hanifin has a fiancé so there’s everyone’s answer to what probably happens . And he had discussions with the whole family over the break. Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if the family wants him to play out the year and walk to free agency. An overpayment might sway him especially after seeing what happened to Johnny. Maybe the fiancé likes Calgary!
My speculation: Hanifin wants to play in Boston. But short of that, he'd settle for a U.S. team in the northeast (Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers, possibly even Sabres). So his 10 team no-trade list likely includes all Canadian markets and smaller markets outside of that region. But a sign-and-trade may only be in the cards for the Bruins and the Bruins may not be interested in locking him up long term. As such, this may be what is making the market for Hanifin softer than expected. If that's the case, then Conroy is likely shopping Hanifin to all potential suitors not on the no-trade list and just looking for the best deal available. Might even end up going to a team he has a history with like the Hurricanes. I don't think Hanifin re-signing with Calgary is in the cards.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:56 PM   #753
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
I think this is very much the case. The fact that the Flames have drafted and developed very well in the last 5 or so years might just make a rebuild impossible, as these kids just keep stepping in and looking NHL ready.

Sure is a fun group to watch right now if nothing else
That should be the idea. Constant drafting and developing and replacing older players with young ones that are ready.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 02:11 PM   #754
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

If Markstrom is traded that signals a rebuild. This team is horrible without him and he still has some term left on his contract and seems pretty open to staying longer.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:16 PM   #755
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If Markstrom is traded that signals a rebuild. This team is horrible without him and he still has some term left on his contract and seems pretty open to staying longer.
Agreed.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:17 PM   #756
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
That should be the idea. Constant drafting and developing and replacing older players with young ones that are ready.
And then trading those younger players right when they get good, ammirite?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 02:22 PM   #757
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
At a certain point you have to choose to compete too. Which means surrounding young players with solid playoff ready vets. Letting yourself get bent over by players like Lindholm, Toffoli, etc....making absurd demands for retirement contracts gets you nowhere though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 02:22 PM   #758
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ball is in Hanifins court and the Flames just need to react accordingly. Hopefully with some flexible co operation from Hanifins camp. If he railroads the Flames into doing a sign and trade with only two teams, then it's kind of a bugger.

Hopefully he gives them 5 or 6 options to play off each other.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:31 PM   #759
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Hanifin is great 5v5, but I do think for 7+ mil you want a PP producer
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 02:48 PM   #760
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
And then trading those younger players right when they get good, ammirite?
Not if they're interested in a fair contract and the team is competitive. Some players in fact are willing to sign fair term deals. Backlund, for example.

I'm not doling out max term deals to veterans on a losing team.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote