Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #741
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Large Ryse video download links - these will be better to check than any youtube feeds with their terrible compression artifacts. It still looks visually impressive. I want have hands on to see how gameplay ends up.

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images/...ST_50Mbps3.mp4

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images/..._%2050Mbps.mp4

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images/..._ST_50Mbps.mp4

Last edited by chemgear; 11-07-2013 at 07:44 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #742
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #743
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's a lot of PS4 boxes!

For those that are going to purchase Knack...I was able to use a print out of the coupon at the EB Games in Beacon Hill. This EB Games has probably the best customer service I've experienced at a video game store. Very friendly people.

The bad news for those that are picking up a few games over the course of the life of the PS4 is that the hard drive is going to fill up very fast. Knack takes a minimum of 37 GB. If you were going to pick up Killzone too then those two games would take up almost 20% of the hard drive.

Has anyone received Killzone from Futureshop yet? I ordered it during the E3 sale and the game hasn't shipped yet.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #744
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post

For those that are going to purchase Knack...I was able to use a print out of the coupon at the EB Games in Beacon Hill. This EB Games has probably the best customer service I've experienced at a video game store. Very friendly people.

The bad news for those that are picking up a few games over the course of the life of the PS4 is that the hard drive is going to fill up very fast. Knack takes a minimum of 37 GB. If you were going to pick up Killzone too then those two games would take up almost 20% of the hard drive.

Has anyone received Killzone from Futureshop yet? I ordered it during the E3 sale and the game hasn't shipped yet.
Yeah, I ordered this to help with the storage demands.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #745
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post

Good thing then that the hard drive is easily swappable. Throw a 3TB drive in there and who cares how large the games are
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #746
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Verge having some interesting Microsoft/XBOX stuff:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/50...he-living-room

Xbox, watch TV: inside Microsoft's audacious plan to take over the living room

So the entire Xbox One is designed around what you might call a bold compromise: instead of directly integrating TV, the system hijacks it. Rather than plugging your cable box and Xbox into the TV separately, you first plug the cable box into the Xbox, and then the Xbox into the TV. Your cable box is still there, and still doing all the heavy lifting of providing TV, but now it’s doing it in service of the overall Xbox One experience. Smith describes it as "augmenting" the cable box experience in an effort to eliminate the friction of switching between games, apps, and TV.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/50...ng-xbox-rumors

Microsoft CEO candidate Stephen Elop said to consider selling Xbox business, killing Bing

Bloomberg also suggests that Elop is willing to shut down or sell some major Microsoft businesses. Elop would reportedly considering killing off the company’s Bing search engine, while contemplating selling the Xbox business. Some investors and analysts have previously called for the software giant to split off its Xbox business and give up on search. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen appears to feel the same way. Allen’s $15-billion asset manager, Paul Ghaffari, revealed recently that Bing and Xbox have been distractions for Microsoft.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #747
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good demo of the XBox One Dashboard

SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #748
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^that is just awesome

"Xbox Call of Duty Ghosts"
"Xbox Sportsnet West"
"Xbox Skype Sven in pressbox"

Last edited by Righteous1; 11-08-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #749
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=4240-0049

This weekend (between Saturday, November 9 and Monday, November 11) Future Shop and Best Buy locations across Canada will be giving out free copies of Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Battlefield 4 to anyone who trades in a current generation console game.

You read that right: Free. Zip. Zero.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #750
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^I just got $65 credit at ebgames for my 360. Almost the same I guess
Old 11-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #751
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm stuck, I want to get the PS4 because the graphics look better to me. However I left the 360 for a PS3 but I lost all of my friends I played online with when I switched. Plus PSN sucked, no one was ever talking online in games and it just wasn't as fun as XBL even with the 12 year old screaming kids.

I'm probably going to buy the ps4 then end up getting a XBone a few months later.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #752
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

This weekend (between Saturday, November 9 and Monday, November 11) Future Shop and Best Buy locations across Canada will be giving out free copies of Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Battlefield 4 to anyone who trades in a current generation console game.

Wow...thats fantastic. You can basically trade in any game for these.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #753
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
no one was ever talking online in games and it just wasn't as fun as XBL even with the 12 year old screaming kids.
This sounds like a benefit rather than a negative!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #754
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Wow...thats fantastic. You can basically trade in any game for these.
The great thing is, if you just want to take advantage of this for a next gen game once they launch, I'm sure you could trade in older games to get these, then trade them in again to get a next gen game after the release date... You'll get way more value as a trade in for one of these over older games..
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #755
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Or could you exchange the sealed game for a next gen game....
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #756
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Good demo of the XBox One Dashboard

Looks very polished. Slight doubts on my end about getting the PS4 now as having an entertainment system rather than solely gaming is attractive.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #757
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Looks very polished. Slight doubts on my end about getting the PS4 now as having an entertainment system rather than solely gaming is attractive.
Not sure if they mention it in the video..but the quick resume/switch feature apparently only works for digitally downloaded games. Does not work if you purchase a cd from a store.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #758
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

Whoa, looks like I'll have to part with NHL08, NHL09, and FIFA09!

I can't believe this. It's almost too good to be true.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #759
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guess I'm making 3 trips to Futureshop this weekend. Holy hell that deal is hot.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #760
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has to be some restriction on this. Like someone up there mentioned trading in NHL 08 and other old sports games -- there doesn't seem to be any way they'd do it for ANY current gen game. It'd be an enormous loss.

I imagine they'll probably have a list of games that qualify online so they at least get something worth some re-sell value.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote