Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 12:28 PM   #741
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
This is a good start

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354119715849981953

Next abolish ICE.
Be nicer if it included immigration detention centres and I don't quite understand why it couldn't have. Maybe someone can educate me.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354124288782024704

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354124551987154945
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #742
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again if the economic model is that exploiting labour enables your business to thrive it is a bad model. The answer is not to keep the same exploitative model in place because it might hurt the exploiters. This is hard to grasp huh?
Why is $15 a magic number that is the difference between exploiting or not? And do you really think that number is universal across the continent? You seem to be the one having difficulty grasping anything other other than throwing out overly simplistic platitudes.
nfotiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #743
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
I agree that the Federal rate going to $15 would be tough, and that states could do this on their own. The problem is that there are some predictable states that won't. The quality of life disparaties between states is getting obscene.
I just think it should have a geographic cost of living adjustment. I feel like someone making $11/hour in some areas has a better quality of life than someone making $15 in some urban areas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #744
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Why is $15 a magic number that is the difference between exploiting or not? And do you really think that number is universal across the continent? You seem to be the one having difficulty grasping anything other other than throwing out overly simplistic platitudes.
$15 isn't magic, but it's certainly closer to what it needs to be than the current $7.25...
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #745
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I just think it should have a geographic cost of living adjustment. I feel like someone making $11/hour in some areas has a better quality of life than someone making $15 in some urban areas.
It's hard to tell if you're arguing against $15 because it's too high in some places, or too low in others.

Why not $20 then? and states significantly above that can have higher minimum wages?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #746
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
The problem I have is why is $15 this magic number that is the right number for the whole country? $15 is nothing in NYC, while it let you live very comfortably in Iowa.

If a small town economy is set up so that rent is cheap, food and other goods are inexpensive, then a big boost in min wage is going to disrupt that whole local economy.

Calgary has a $15 min wage, and when I go back there I am shocked at how expensive everything is. There are a lot of places in the US that $7-8/hour will go a whole lot further than $15 would in Calgary.
It's not a magic number, but it's a reasonable start. It's one of those don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good situations. If $15 is nothing in NYC, then maybe the market will mandate a higher wage there, but you still need a floor. $2 is obviously not a good floor. $4 isn't, either, but we're getting warmer. You can kind of do that all the way up to a certain point, and it looks like $15 has been deemed to be that point.

A move like this can also serve to educate people that they are exploiting others. When Alberta announced they were going up to $15, I supported it and bumped all my affected staff up to higher salaries to make sure they were being compensated fairly relative to minimum wage. I did have some at $15 when I think MW was $12 or whatever it was. I put them up to $18 upon the announcement of the new wage and just bumped up my prices accordingly. Profit margin didn't change and my customers paid the increase (as they should).

Businesses are just going to have to adjust what they charge. It shouldn't be hard, either, as they do it all the time. Prices on raw materials, rent, utilities, insurance, etc. are always in a state of flux and businesses adjust to react. Labour is no different - you'll hear a lot of prick business owners bellyaching about it, but really all they have to do is adjust their prices and that'll be that. All their competitors will be doing the same so they lose nothing with respect to a competitive advantage they may have had if they exploited worse than their peers.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #747
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's not a magic number, but it's a reasonable start. It's one of those don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good situations. If $15 is nothing in NYC, then maybe the market will mandate a higher wage there, but you still need a floor. $2 is obviously not a good floor. $4 isn't, either, but we're getting warmer. You can kind of do that all the way up to a certain point, and it looks like $15 has been deemed to be that point.

A move like this can also serve to educate people that they are exploiting others. When Alberta announced they were going up to $15, I supported it and bumped all my affected staff up to higher salaries to make sure they were being compensated fairly relative to minimum wage. I did have some at $15 when I think MW was $12 or whatever it was. I put them up to $18 upon the announcement of the new wage and just bumped up my prices accordingly. Profit margin didn't change and my customers paid the increase (as they should).

Businesses are just going to have to adjust what they charge. It shouldn't be hard, either, as they do it all the time. Prices on raw materials, rent, utilities, insurance, etc. are always in a state of flux and businesses adjust to react. Labour is no different - you'll hear a lot of prick business owners bellyaching about it, but really all they have to do is adjust their prices and that'll be that. All their competitors will be doing the same so they lose nothing with respect to a competitive advantage they may have had if they exploited worse than their peers.
I think $15 is the number that a lot of people on both coasts see as a reasonable floor. There's a whole swath of country in between that will not absorb that easily. There is some level you can raise min wage to that will close businesses and put people out of work. I think $15 is above that threshold in parts of the country. Then what, they should all just move to the coasts?
Old 01-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #748
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...index-by-state

The above is a link for a few metrics.

The lower costs states are about 80% of average with the higher cost states being about 30% more.

So a 10-18 dollar scaled wage would likely make more sense than a flat $15
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #749
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still maintain that if your business model is predicated on underpaying your labor, and would "go under" because of a minimum wage increase, you are bad at business.

In reality, most owners just don't want to take the haircut, not because they can't afford it. People vastly overestimate the level of altruism that exists among small business owners. The biggest lie ever told is "If I could afford to pay them more, I would!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #750
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That's a way of doing it, but I could see locality changes becoming hyper-partisan. It's like pay for Federal jobs, there are a bunch of localities and then rest of country. Getting a new locality created is a challenge in itself. Then, because of where Feds are, the localities that have a lot of Feds have artificially low rates compared to what they really likely should be. For example, the locality pay is essentially the same between Detroit and DC, and I can assure you DC is way more expensive to live in than Detroit...

TL;DR it would just open another front in the forever war of partisanship
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tripin_billie For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #751
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I still maintain that if your business model is predicated on underpaying your labor, and would "go under" because of a minimum wage increase, you are bad at business.

In reality, most owners just don't want to take the haircut, not because they can't afford it. People vastly overestimate the level of altruism that exists among small business owners. The biggest lie ever told is "If I could afford to pay them more, I would!"
Yeah, and what's so bad about businesses going under, anyway? If you can't sell your goods and services for a price that people are willing to pay and that will cover your costs, then you don't have a good business.

Poor people should not have to subsidize businesses with their labour. That's exploitation.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #752
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, and what's so bad about businesses going under, anyway? If you can't sell your goods and services for a price that people are willing to pay and that will cover your costs, then you don't have a good business.

Poor people should not have to subsidize businesses with their labour. That's exploitation.
I guess if you think someone working in a small town in the midwest is being exploited by making less than $15/hour, where rent is $400, and a dinner at the local diner is $4, then I would say paying someone less than $30/hour in Calgary is exploitative.

You don't want to shut down all the businesses in a local economy that is built around cheap land, cheap rent, cheap labor, and cheap goods and services and turn a perfectly happy small town into a ghost town, do you?

I don't think $15 min brute force min wage will clear congress for these reasons. I don't think that it is good for the democratic party if they implemented something that shuts down a lot of business and puts people out of work in many areas across the country.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #753
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

So you dislike the federal minimum wage. More of a states rights kind of guy who would prefer if they made their own choices on what to pay or not pay people in their states?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #754
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you dislike the federal minimum wage. More of a states rights kind of guy who would prefer if they made their own choices on what to pay or not pay people in their states?
Do you have anything intelligent to offer?
Old 01-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #755
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Paying people more means there will be more people with more money to spend at these businesses too. That might help them be able to pay their people more.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #756
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have anything intelligent to offer?
I’ll take that as a yes. It was a simple question. As you’ve presented it you don’t like the federal minimum wage and would like states to be able to dictate what their own minimum wage is according to the $4 dinner plan. It’s not for me but states rights are quite popular with a lot of people.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #757
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’ll take that as a yes. It was a simple question. As you’ve presented it you don’t like the federal minimum wage and would like states to be able to dictate what their own minimum wage is according to the $4 dinner plan. It’s not for me but states rights are quite popular with a lot of people.
Yah, the USA is so large, there are so many factors. $15/ hour in NYC won't go quite as far as it does in Havre MT. State legislated minimum wages makes more sense doesn't it? Please enlighten me as to why it doesn't.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #758
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Yah, the USA is so large, there are so many factors. $15/ hour in NYC won't go quite as far as it does in Havre MT. State legislated minimum wages makes more sense doesn't it? Please enlighten me as to why it doesn't.
Because Republicans and their supports are either a-holes or morons and won't voluntarily pay fair wages unless they're forced to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #759
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Paying people more means there will be more people with more money to spend at these businesses too. That might help them be able to pay their people more.
There is some level of increase where that is true. But in areas where min wage doubles or triples, the local economy is not going to absorb that increase, and people will be put out of work.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #760
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's hard to tell if you're arguing against $15 because it's too high in some places, or too low in others.

Why not $20 then? and states significantly above that can have higher minimum wages?

Tying salary to where a person lives versus where they work seems to be asking for new problems.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote