Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #741
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Disagree. That win demonstrated competitive soccer coming out of Quebec (which matters), and they had a decent supporters turnout in Halifax that came to support (and managed to get on the field). Plus, theyre based in Montreal, which has fantastic football support, and are a dominant team in L1QC as they also won the 2023 Coupe L1QC.

The next Laurent game will be at Claude Robillard, and a win in the CPL will generate even more interest IMO. It's a good litmus test quebec-based pro soccer not in the MLS.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:40 PM   #742
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's always been talent in Quebec. Mo Farsi, Diyaeddine Abzi, Woobens Pacius all examples of players who've signed for CPL and moved on to better. Halifax had multiple players on the pitch from Quebec.

A few dozen supporters travelling a short flight away is awesome for the level, but that doesn't mean someone is going to suddenly sink 8 figures into a club. Especially with a massive club on the door step (even though I think there's a good opportunity there to pry supporters away).

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:50 PM   #743
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sherm is right. the quality of the play isn't as important as the ROI.
As is stands now 4 of 9 CPL teams past and present have proven that you can make money. Forge, HFX, Cavalry and Ottawa.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:27 PM   #744
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Sherm is right. the quality of the play isn't as important as the ROI.
As is stands now 4 of 9 CPL teams past and present have proven that you can make money. Forge, HFX, Cavalry and Ottawa.
Pacific seems to do OK? And I think Vancouver will be good. I haven’t looked at their numbers, it just seems that way.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:31 PM   #745
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Pacific seems to do OK? And I think Vancouver will be good. I haven’t looked at their numbers, it just seems that way.
Pacific was lower half last year. The turnout for their Canadian Championship game was pretty pathetic. Not sure if that would be the case here if TSS Rovers visited as well. I think I'm alone in that seeing a team you'd normally never play is actually more interesting.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785461343472226549
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 04:51 PM   #746
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific's attendance against TSS Rovers was basically in line with everyone else except Halifax. It was more than what Cavalry got vs Vancouver. And only a few hundred less than what Forge and Ottawa drew in their matchups.

Weeknight games in late April / early May just don't draw well.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:46 PM   #747
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

There is no ROI until you make the leap. That's the whole point of new franchises, you don't know what you don't know outside of estimates of market strength.

Support for a semi-pro, non-MLS team - in the Montreal area - is absolutely a litmus test for future potential ownership groups. And I think the attendance, support and interest in Laurent's TFC game is as good an opportunity as any to see L1QC and marker potential in action.

If you think investors curious about the Quebec market aren't watching this game, you're fooling yourselves.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:07 PM   #748
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good half. I’m glad we got two there, because one would’ve been disheartening after all those chances!
Old 05-03-2024, 09:52 PM   #749
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

So nice to score the third goal and put the game to bed early. Plus two posts!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 07:49 AM   #750
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great game to be at last night. Cavalry dominated the game and Vancouver just didn't look up to play. Imagine my surprise when I look up and Charlie Trafford is bombing down the wing and puts it in the back of the net.

Didn't notice Musse go off but hopefully it was just precautionary. Gutted for Field as he came back from an ACL last year and his injury looked pretty serious. David Norman Jr is just not a good place. Moses Dyer bowling over Carducci twice and then shushing the crowd when he made it 3-1 was an interesting strategy.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:24 AM   #751
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Musse got hurt in the third minute and didn’t look comfortable. Then when he got that foul it was too much for him.

I don’t think the ref had a clear view of the Vancouver goal, because I’m not sure that would’ve stood. I just think she was looking through a crowd. For me, it looked like Carducci made the save and was run over into the net after that.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:23 AM   #752
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavs looked good apart from set piece defending. They either had one guy not holding the line or missing the header or both (like on the goal). Clean that up and they’ll be more than fine

Brooks looked sharp on the wing and thought he was an upgrade on what that position has brought so far this year. Tobias has a wand of right foot. Give the man the ball and things will happen.

Musse had his ankle taped the third time the trainer came on for him and hopefully after the goal they simply decided to pull him and save him for Tuesday. Sad for Field, his reaction didn’t look good. Hopefully it is better than it looked for him, he’s had a real good last couple games.

Kamden was pretty poor. Every pass was either backwards, or he’d wait until his winger was coming back towards him and then play it over the top. Lost his man a few times on corners leading to chances as well. Though I expect him to bounce back in the coming games.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:43 AM   #753
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Who the hell is going to play CB if Field is out?
Old 05-04-2024, 10:55 AM   #754
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montgomery looked fine when he came in. He also is confident enough to boss Klomp around which is great for both of them

When is Kobza back?
Old 05-04-2024, 10:55 AM   #755
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Cavs looked good apart from set piece defending. They either had one guy not holding the line or missing the header or both (like on the goal). Clean that up and they’ll be more than fine

Brooks looked sharp on the wing and thought he was an upgrade on what that position has brought so far this year. Tobias has a wand of right foot. Give the man the ball and things will happen.

Musse had his ankle taped the third time the trainer came on for him and hopefully after the goal they simply decided to pull him and save him for Tuesday. Sad for Field, his reaction didn’t look good. Hopefully it is better than it looked for him, he’s had a real good last couple games.

Kamden was pretty poor. Every pass was either backwards, or he’d wait until his winger was coming back towards him and then play it over the top. Lost his man a few times on corners leading to chances as well. Though I expect him to bounce back in the coming games.
Really? Weird. I thought Kamden made some great passes and a couple his long balls were basically perfect! Defensively, I didn’t notice the lapses, but when he took the yellow I thought he was right and I loved the passion. But, I also wasn’t sold on Tobias. The first goal wasn’t exactly convincing! The penalty was good. Otherwise he strikes me as more of a hold-up or target guy. Didn’t seem incredibly comfortable with the ball at his feet and wasn’t going to go for a long run.

Who knows though. I did take the bus there and perhaps my views were a little under the influence!
Old 05-04-2024, 11:06 AM   #756
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Really? Weird. I thought Kamden made some great passes and a couple his long balls were basically perfect! Defensively, I didn’t notice the lapses, but when he took the yellow I thought he was right and I loved the passion. But, I also wasn’t sold on Tobias. The first goal wasn’t exactly convincing! The penalty was good. Otherwise he strikes me as more of a hold-up or target guy. Didn’t seem incredibly comfortable with the ball at his feet and wasn’t going to go for a long run.

Who knows though. I did take the bus there and perhaps my views were a little under the influence!
I’m not an expert by any means so I enjoy having these conversations because we can all get smarter!

Kamden improved in the second half (I’m guessing someone had a chat with him) but in the first half the frustration from Trafford and Camargo was noticeable I thought because he was slowing down play and recycling possession too much. When Camargo started drifting wide left and playing off of Brooks is when that side started to get some momentum

For Warchiewski I think you nailed it with the hold up guy. I thought it was interesting they moved him to the wing and had Shaw through the middle, I would’ve done the opposite myself. Tobias had some solid hold up play and one-twos to create space I thought. And he has a nose for goal that I don’t think anyone else on the team has. He always worried me when he was with FCE. He looks uncoordinated and lanky and then can ping a ball wherever he wants it. He had some phenomenal cross field balls to Brooks/Akio
Old 05-04-2024, 11:21 AM   #757
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Montgomery looked fine when he came in.
Is he ready to start? It's been a long time since he's played a fully match now.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:25 AM   #758
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I thought Tobias looked really good, he’s very skillful for a big guy. Agreed that he looks like a hold up/target striker as opposed to Bevan who was always on the run. In theory that should help Akio and Musse find some extra space in behind, although Akio has been completely anonymous so far this season for some reason.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 08:04 PM   #759
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Akio has been extremely disappointing so far this season. I hope he turns it around, he was on fire last year. He's basically a ghost this year, and is missing his shots and crosses by wide margins.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:15 PM   #760
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tobias was by far the most talented player on the pitch yesterday. Just a treat to watch.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer