Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2024, 12:35 PM   #741
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

IF we get 2nd overall in draft lottery, do you trade down? Teams choosing in top 5 could each get their 2nd ranked player on their lists.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:35 PM   #742
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It just feels right now. Shaping up to be a star, Iggy's offspring to lead the rebuild, but this time done right.
Picking on you because you are the most recent poster but stuff like this is why I could also see Iggy preferring the Flames don't draft him lol.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 12:36 PM   #743
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
IF we get 2nd overall in draft lottery, do you trade down? Teams choosing in top 5 could each get their 2nd ranked player on their lists.
Only if they don't like Demidov
Old 05-06-2024, 12:37 PM   #744
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Unfortunately?

We should be so lucky.
And this is a prime example of why I hope he is gone before we pick somehow.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:39 PM   #745
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I don't think this is answerable because there is too many unknowns. What is the offer to trade down? How far are you trading back? What is the current medical report on Demidov's knee injury?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:41 PM   #746
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading back would almost likely require a unprotected pick in 25 or 26 from whoever is trading up, probably some extra picks this year along with the 1st.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:43 PM   #747
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

While I agree some posts are over the top, I don’t really see this as being significantly different than other years where posters fall in love with certain players around our pick and proceed to overrate/inflate them. Usually, those players are not the ones chosen, but we still hear about it one, two, or ten years later.

Iginla is right near the spot we’re picking. Looking at Bob’s list, you’d be happy with anyone from 7-12. People really don’t want us to take the 10th ranked prospect with the 9th pick? Come on now. That’s even sillier than wanting to take him because he’s an Iginla.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 12:46 PM   #748
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
While I agree some posts are over the top, I don’t really see this as being significantly different than other years where posters fall in love with certain players around our pick and proceed to overrate/inflate them. Usually, those players are not the ones chosen, but we still hear about it one, two, or ten years later.

Iginla is right near the spot we’re picking. Looking at Bob’s list, you’d be happy with anyone from 7-12. People really don’t want us to take the 10th ranked prospect with the 9th pick? Come on now. That’s even sillier than wanting to take him because he’s an Iginla.
Bob's list is usually the most accurate.

Iginla is not a reach at our pick. I bet the Flames probably have him in that range as well.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:53 PM   #749
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
And this is a prime example of why I hope he is gone before we pick somehow.
This isn't directed at you, I'm just using your post as the catalyst to say something that's been bugging me for a bit.

I think the missing ingredient in stating opinions is stating them and then leaving room to be either wrong or right.

Using this as an example, no one knows how drafting or not drafting Iggy is going to impact anything any more than anyone else does. Be on record for your thing, but then let other people be on record for their thing.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. Please try the salmon, I hear it's great... although that could just be the Chef trying to get rid of it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:56 PM   #750
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I am fine if thy take Iginla but if he is gone before they pick then I don't have see people argue about the pick for years to come lol. I am all on the Celebrini train until my hopes are dashed tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:57 PM   #751
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think this is answerable because there is too many unknowns. What is the offer to trade down? How far are you trading back? What is the current medical report on Demidov's knee injury?
Obviously the offer is an unknown. Don't need to state that part.

It's more about Demidov in my mind. Is he someone we want?
Old 05-06-2024, 01:00 PM   #752
YyjFlames
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Can you guys give me a reaction preview for if Iginla is there at 9 and Conroy decides to trade down three picks because they've got three prospects all ranked equally?

It's quite possible in this year's draft with all the guys ranked so closely together.

How about if Calgary trades Markstrom and the number 9 pick to New Jersey for Mercer and New Jersey's pick? That would be a lot of fun.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:01 PM   #753
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Bob's list is usually the most accurate.

Iginla is not a reach at our pick. I bet the Flames probably have him in that range as well.
Bob's is good because he talks to actual scouts and then ranks them based on averaging the results, at least that is my understanding.

What I think would be more interesting is for Bob to try and predict how the draft would actually go based on the input from the scouts he talks to. For example, Iginla settling in at around 10th on his list likely means that some scouts had him higher than that, and some lower. If the scouts that had him higher than that actually have picks in that range, it would be more consequential to how the draft plays out.

I get why Bob wouldn't do that because it would show the cards for some teams, but it would be pretty interesting.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:04 PM   #754
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
Can you guys give me a reaction preview for if Iginla is there at 9 and Conroy decides to trade down three picks because they've got three prospects all ranked equally?

It's quite possible in this year's draft with all the guys ranked so closely together.

How about if Calgary trades Markstrom and the number 9 pick to New Jersey for Mercer and New Jersey's pick? That would be a lot of fun.
If he ends up getting tij anyways it’s a fleece and I’d petition to have the new building be called Conroy’s cookhouse.

But if tij goes before the devils pick? CP will shut down for a week
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 01:04 PM   #755
Lewis_D
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Tij will be a Calgary Flame. Just not via the draft, he'll sign as a UFA to join his brother Joe.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:07 PM   #756
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
Tij will be a Calgary Flame. Just not via the draft, he'll sign as a UFA to join his brother Joe.
He gets drafted by the devils and looks mediocre for 3 years. Flames offer sheet him the year Joe makes the team. Tij breakout on Joes wing
Old 05-06-2024, 01:08 PM   #757
YyjFlames
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
If he ends up getting tij anyways it’s a fleece and I’d petition to have the new building be called Conroy’s cookhouse.

But if tij goes before the devils pick? CP will shut down for a week
Or maybe they get Mercer and Helenius/Catton/one of the top d-men. I would be pretty happy with that, even though I'm on the Iginla train. This is what intrigues me about this year's draft... lots of good options in the Flames' range.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:10 PM   #758
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
Or maybe they get Mercer and Helenius/Catton/one of the top d-men. I would be pretty happy with that, even though I'm on the Iginla train. This is what intrigues me about this year's draft... lots of good options in the Flames' range.
I like cattons potential but I do worry a little that he’s very marner like. Puts up big numbers but isn’t the guy when you need that playoff clutch moment. Tij has that intangible imo
Old 05-06-2024, 01:13 PM   #759
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I like cattons potential but I do worry a little that he’s very marner like. Puts up big numbers but isn’t the guy when you need that playoff clutch moment. Tij has that intangible imo
Yeah, if they drafted Catton and he became a perennial 30 goal / 90 point forward that would be a total disaster lol
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 01:16 PM   #760
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah, if they drafted Catton and he became a perennial 30 goal / 90 point forward that would be a total disaster lol
Who is now being run out of town because he disappeared in the playoffs. While a guy like Tkachuk that has always been touted for his intangibles is looking like a potential conn smythe guy 2 years in a row. The difference is Tij might actually stay here unlike tkachuk