Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #721
Dime_On_Flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I bought one on Kijiji. Can also get on eBay.
Bought the other at Best Buy in the states. $39 US
Thank you sir! I will check out those avenues.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #722
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone using a Chromecast? I thought about building a Raspberry Pi based android box but at $45 (and free shipping) a Chromecast seems awfully appealing. Really all I'm after is Kodi, Netflix and Plex.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #723
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Anyone using a Chromecast? I thought about building a Raspberry Pi based android box but at $45 (and free shipping) a Chromecast seems awfully appealing. Really all I'm after is Kodi, Netflix and Plex.

If you want Netflix, definitely don't do a Pi. It doesn't work.

It's a bit of a pain to manage a Pi with kodi.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:23 PM   #724
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good to know, I like the idea of building it myself and knowing what I'm getting, I'll have to research more.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #725
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't do Netflix, but I love my pi2 with OSMC (Kodi derivative for pi). CEC (allowing one to use tv remote to control Kodi) is really nice. Simple install when networked. One click basically. The pi2 is underpowered though. I would assume the pi3 would work excellent.
You can cast to Chromecast with any android device. I was never happy with how it worked though.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 08-23-2016 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Drunk spelling and grammatical errors
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #726
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You guys with the Kodi boxes, do you encounter a lot of buffering? Varies at our place. We got the Shaw 150 but in the basement the 5G can be from 40 to 100mbps. The 2.4g often is at 40mbps and below. The device is on 2.4G only hence it runs into the buffering issue. However one like to thing at 10mbps it would still be alright, like the Apple TV?!
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #727
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We have two. Don't use it for Kodi, but its awesome with Plex. Worked fine with Netflix too, but only casted Netflix a couple of times.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #728
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I already have Rokus so no kodi on chromecast is a deal breaker.

Looks like building your own box that isn't based on raspberry pi (no Netflix) is not cost effective so I guess a purchased android box is the way to go. Any recommendations, a lot seem to have very similar specs but vary a lot in price.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #729
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not sure if it works with Kodi or not. I've just never used it.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #730
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plex has partnered with HDHomerun to allow you to use your home computer as a PVR.

I used to do something similar to this with MythTV but I think this is the first time
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #731
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Plex has partnered with HDHomerun to allow you to use your home computer as a PVR.

I used to do something similar to this with MythTV but I think this is the first time
Still not a solution for live sports it seems.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #732
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh, I've been having huge audio issues with Kodi on my Android box. Works fine then silence. Any tips on fixing this? Also need someone to point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do a complete reinstall of Kodi. Thanks in advance.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #733
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should not have to do a new install. 'Fresh Start' should do the job. Google 'Kodi fresh start tutorial' and look for links from tvaddons.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #734
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have any recommendations for Android boxes? A good majority of the specs seem to be almost identical and mostly built in a China so it's a bit of a mess with all the manufacturers. I'd like to stay $100 or less if that's possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #735
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone have any recommendations for Android boxes? A good majority of the specs seem to be almost identical and mostly built in a China so it's a bit of a mess with all the manufacturers. I'd like to stay $100 or less if that's possible.

I would stay away I tried one for a day and it sucked. I'm giving Amazon Fire tv a try and will report back next week how it works. Everything was clunky and didn't quite function as I felt it should with the android box. I compare it to those knock off android tablets that can be had for cheap.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #736
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a firetv and it is ok. I had problems with refreshing my directories (it would hang and I would have reboot it). Controlling it with any other remote is problematic (I have an Elan system).

I bought a Nvidia Shield, and it is awesome so far. Just download Kodi from play store and you are off to the races. Yes it is more money but it a super quick box with UHD capability. Well worth the money IMO.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #737
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I ordered this one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GLE929I/...785990_TE_item
We'll see how it is, the nvidia shield and fire tv are appealing but price is and availability (fire tv) are tough.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #738
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Some stuff (including the Shield) might go on sale if you can wait until Black Friday in November.

That's what I'm hoping for atleast haha
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #739
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Some stuff (including the Shield) might go on sale if you can wait until Black Friday in November.

That's what I'm hoping for atleast haha
The sales in the past when it came to the NVidia Shield was that you get a free remote with it (which is a nice add as the remote is $70, but not exactly needed as you can just use the controller). I was waiting for it to go on sale and that's all that was offered while I was waiting, I've never seen it actually drop in price unless I missed it.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #740
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
I have a firetv and it is ok. I had problems with refreshing my directories (it would hang and I would have reboot it). Controlling it with any other remote is problematic (I have an Elan system).

I bought a Nvidia Shield, and it is awesome so far. Just download Kodi from play store and you are off to the races. Yes it is more money but it a super quick box with UHD capability. Well worth the money IMO.
Was this refreshing your personal media directories? I still use plex for all that stuff since the wife can use it easily on the iPads. I need it only for kodi streaming and Netflix
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote