Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #721
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the heck was with Williams' wing? Did they not have a low down force one to use? It looks crippling compared to everyone else's.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #722
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So as the complete newbie here I needed this race. I only started following F1 due to the combo of covid and Netflix. That being said first race of the season was just nuts and hooked me. Well that and the F1 game which although fun I still suck at.

After that though I've watched every race, most on PVR because I typically work Sundays, and I have to admit things were getting boring. Every week it's the same three drivers with zero chance for anything interesting to happen. Today just re-energized my desire to watch again, not only having different drivers get the podium, but also the enthusiasm of their teams and others when someone else won. It was fantastic to see Red Bull pit crew rush to Alpha Tauri's crew to celebrate with them, and the genuine excitement Alpha has in that win. Just so awesome to see and has me hooked for more races!

Anyways no real point in my post other than saying this race was a fun one to watch!
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 11:01 PM   #723
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Pretend the Mercs don’t exist. And Max usually too. F1 can still be exciting that way every week! I’ve been on the F1.5 bandwagon for a while now. Especially once you realize what a monumental achievement it is for some of these teams to finish 4th vs say 12th. Even though the broadcast will rarely show their finish or spotlight their race or show their pit crew celebrating.

This race was a bit of an anomaly that I don’t expect to repeat often but is definitely the type of racing we all hope for.

I just bought F1 2020. Another big step for this game. Tons of assists for newbies and in depth stuff for experienced drivers. Don’t worry if you suck, it takes time and is hard to master, especially with a controller. My only complaint is I find the cars almost undrivable without medium traction control. It’s like driving on ice otherwise. Glad we got Vietnam and Zandvoort but unfortunate Covid didn’t allow for proper mapping. Apparently they’re both essentially “beta” versions.

My new thing is 25% races with no rewind. It makes it 10x more intense and I actually drive much better when I know I can’t rewind. Although I have to turn the difficulty down a bit.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 01:18 AM   #724
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've found this season the broaedcast crews have been pretty good at following the midfield battles more, that's helped keep viewing more interesting too rather than just watching Hamilton drive around people getting blue flagged
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #725
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last 5 years or so its been a pretty massive gap between the Mercs and the rest of the field.

I'll be pretty happy once the new rules kick in for 2022 now.

I've always though the best option would be to stick the great drivers into backfield cars to see just how good they really are. Like the rule should be, you've won 4 titles in a row? Hop into a Haas next year, earn the next title.

I do miss the rivalries of old. McLaren, Williams, Ferrari.

At least back then there's was a block of 4 ultra competitive teams instead of just 1 super team and the rest of the pack.

Like look at Villeneuves title battle with Schumacher, that was epic! It came down to driver weaknesses. Or Prost, Senna. Mind you those days were a one team pony too, but the competitive gap wasn't nearly as large as the mercs these days.

The team rebranding for next year will be awesome too. Love seeing Alpine out there. Aston Marton too... just great.

Happy for Gasly. Held off Sainz for the W and a nice little middle finger to Red Bull at that. Surprised at the AlphaTauris strength the last couple of races.

Fun to see Stroll sit 4th in driver points too. He might be a silver spoonfed Canadian but he's still Canadian. Hoping to see more from Letifi down the road as well.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #726
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just make sure you schedule races during rainy seasons. For the desert races just water the track.

F1 races in the rain is the most exciting sport in the world!
Old 09-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #727
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
That was very entertaining. So happy for Gasly and Alpha Tauri. Completely controlled the last half after the red flag. Poor Sainz, he was great as well. Stroll should have been 10th. Garbage rule that you get a free pit stop after a red flag. He was the only to not have pitted when Leclerc dumped it. A red flag should mean you can't touch the car at all.
Norris was spicy about Stroll getting 3rd after the race.

Gasly won by boxing before the red flag, I don't think Stroll should be punished for not doing so. Everyone raced under the same regulations, so it's all fair in my eyes.

In the end it's all a moot point. F1 will have marshalls at pit entry waving flags next race, and I think it's kinda silly they don't, NASCAR has one for crying out loud. I'm actually kinda surprised the marshals located on the pit wall between the straight and pit entry done have a sign or a flag. Seems like an obvious oversight from my couch. I can't even think of the last time I've heard of the pitlane being closed in f1. Maybe Kimi's refuelling fire?

Wonder if Ferrari is just crap or if they were reliant on engine modes more than the other teams.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #728
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

A Finnish gambler has won 33 398€ from his 0,20€ bet for the podium of the Italian GP From Reddit.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #729
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hamilton
Verstappen
Bottas
Albon
Sainz
Stroll
Perez
Norris
Gasly
Ocon

I keep forgetting, so real early this week.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #730
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #731
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perez to leave Tracing Point after 2020.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...ng-point-exit/

Ferrari to run a special livery at this weekend's GP.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...can-grand-prix
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #732
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't Perez bring significant sponsorship with him?

Might not be a bad fit at Haas, he's better than Grosjean.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #733
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Doesn't Perez bring significant sponsorship with him?

Might not be a bad fit at Haas, he's better than Grosjean.
Yeah that was my first thought as well. Haas getting their #### together would be a good thing for F1, and probably the best drive available for a free agent.

On that note, the worst kept secret in F1 this year has been confirmed. Vettel to Aston Martin next year

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...g-sergio-perez
Old 09-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #734
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, Vettel finally gets his butt in a Mercedes! he should be happy about that.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #735
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking about what's next for Perez is interesting.

Any chance he gets the 2nd RB seat? Run Albon - Gasly in the Alpha Tauri's?

Apparently Perez to Haas is unlikely since carlos Slim and Gene Hass don't get along
Old 09-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #736
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

The game of musical chairs is always fun.

Sainz (McLaren) moves to Ferrari.
Ricciardo (Renault) moves to McLaren.
Alonso (Free Agent) comes in to join Renault
Vettel (Ferrari) moves to Aston Martin (Racing Point)

Current Unsigned drivers - Hamilton, Perez, Hulkenberg, Raikkonen the two Haas drivers, Giovanazzi. Hamilton probably stays put. Raikkonen retiring.

The seats left open then are the 2 seats at Alfa Romeo, potentially Red Bull, and Haas. Do we see any drivers from F2 this year?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #737
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could be wrong but I think these are the seats available right now

1 at Mercedes (But yeah right, expect a Hamilton contract any day now)
1 at Red Bull
1 at Aston Martin (But no way they don't re-sign Stroll)
2 at Alpha Tauri (RB will put it's jr drivers here)
2 at Alfa Romeo (Ferrari jr's)
2 at Haas
Old 09-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #738
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perez could got to Alfa. Ferrari could potentially stick a junior driver at Haas, and float them some cash for the seat.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #739
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Perez could got to Alfa. Ferrari could potentially stick a junior driver at Haas, and float them some cash for the seat.
I could see Hulkenberg at Alfa, I think there were some rumours indicating that a few weeks ago
Old 09-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #740
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Do we see any drivers from F2 this year?
Calum Illot is probably the only one who's good enough to make the jump. He's a Ferrari Academy driver, so unless Ferrari is going to give Alfa engines for free, it's probably unlikely. (That's aside from the point Ferrari charging teams for their engines is borderline criminal).

McLaren is going to be very interesting next year on a couple levels.

1. They have a better chassis than Racing Point and now they will have proper power units, we might see them give the works Mercedes team a go for the championship.

2. Wonder if Danny Ric still has it. Lando is really starting to come into his own this year and if he starts to outpace Ricciardo that might be it for him.