Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 11:55 PM   #721
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

This was a crazy game:

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:10 AM   #722
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels to me like Valour and York are not long for this league.
With Valour I 100% understand. the CFL stadium experience is lame.
It feels like York is a canary in the GTA coalmine.

Hopefully the rumors around Quebec are true, this league needs 7 teams.

That said, I think if this league folds, Cavalry FC will remain.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:30 AM   #723
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a TSS Rovers fan but they got jobbed. 6 minutes of extra time and Pacific score in the 8th minute.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:25 AM   #724
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Feels to me like Valour and York are not long for this league.
With Valour I 100% understand. the CFL stadium experience is lame.
It feels like York is a canary in the GTA coalmine.

Hopefully the rumors around Quebec are true, this league needs 7 teams.

That said, I think if this league folds, Cavalry FC will remain.
York has new Mexican owners as of a few months ago. So if they can get out of York Lions Stadium, they might have a chance.

I have heard the rumours of Quebec City expansion, but is there also one about a York move to Quebec instead?

Winnipeg has been a disappointment, but not a surprise. Imagine trading Spruce Meadows for a modernized version of McMahon. Sitting in a sea of empty seats, massive gap between the pitch and the stands, etc. The game day experience matters a lot. Plus Winnipeg's stadium is out in the boonies. I mean, ours is too, but at least when you get there it has a really cool vibe.

Sure, I'd sit in McMahon in February for Concacaf Champions Cup match (when/if they get the right turf). Gotta do what you gotta do. But week in and week out? It would be such a crap vibe. Forge seems to be the exception, but if they weren't successful, I can't see the oversized stadium doing them any favours.

CFL stadiums and running tracks don't work well for soccer. Why do we keep trying this and then get surprised when it doesn't work?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:54 AM   #725
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Although I will add - there's some exceptions here. BMO Field works well because you are close to the action. The supporters section is literally right behind TFC's south goal, and makes for a really fun / intense atmosphere. BC Place works too; the Whitecap's supporters section is almost right behind the west goal.

ATCO Field works very well because the stadium is intimate and the supporters are close to the action, helping to dictate the intensity of the match.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #726
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There's something about running tracks around soccer pitches that really puts me off. Makes it look amateur-ish and not taken seriously. Looking at you, York (and previously Edmonton).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:03 PM   #727
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry FC must be pretty close to making money these days.
I can't imagine they are able to pay down their debt, but I see folks buying $80 worth of beer for themselves match in match out.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:07 PM   #728
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Cavalry FC must be pretty close to making money these days.
I can't imagine they are able to pay down their debt, but I see folks buying $80 worth of beer for themselves match in match out.
They also removed the fee for parking, which is flabbergasting to me... that's an easy money maker right there too. Not that I'm complaining though!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 01:14 PM   #729
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
They also removed the fee for parking, which is flabbergasting to me... that's an easy money maker right there too. Not that I'm complaining though!
I think that making the driving and parking easier will only help gain repeat visitors. The trip is already 55 minutes for us ( was 75 min) ####ing around waiting for someone to pull out the debit card just drove me up the wall haha.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 01:34 PM   #730
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Agreed. Although I will add - there's some exceptions here. BMO Field works well because you are close to the action. The supporters section is literally right behind TFC's south goal, and makes for a really fun / intense atmosphere. BC Place works too; the Whitecap's supporters section is almost right behind the west goal.

ATCO Field works very well because the stadium is intimate and the supporters are close to the action, helping to dictate the intensity of the match.
I agree. But BMO was a soccer stadium from inception, and the CFL moved in later. And the "new" BC Place isn't too bad, actually (pre-reno it had a big gap and big walls before the stands). And it helps that the Whitecaps drape off the upper level (it really helps close it in, actually) and get a decent crowd in the lower bowl. Put 1-2k in there and it would suck too.

I honestly feel that CPL teams like Valour and York would be better off going the Halifax route. Build something temporary and intimate in a central-ish location, get people to fall in love with the vibe, and expand accordingly. Using inappropriate stadiums is a death sentence. Initially cheaper, I guess, but that doesn't mean much when the team dies because nobody liked to be there.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:06 PM   #731
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article on Marco Carducci's fundraiser to raise funds for Oneball.

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/sav...-and-off-field

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 06:14 PM   #732
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow! Halifax just lost on penalties to CS St. Laurent and they host TFC in the next round. Halifax scored late to tie it, and they lost on penalties.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:40 PM   #733
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Zany game. It would be so on-brand for TFC to lose to these guys.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:26 AM   #734
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
.Build something temporary and intimate in a central-ish location, get people to fall in love with the vibe, and expand accordingly. Using inappropriate stadiums is a death sentence. Initially cheaper, I guess, but that doesn't mean much when the team dies because nobody liked to be there.
Yup, being financially prudent is fine but cheapness has costs as well. One of the differences I've noted with development in the UK and Canada is that medium-term uses are really embraced over here but quickly overlooked in Canada. Just because something isn't going to be there forever doesn't mean that you can't build quality places that draw people in. It does require additional investment but doesn't require one to break the bank.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:16 AM   #735
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like we will have gorgeous weather tonight!
Old 05-03-2024, 10:26 AM   #736
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Yup, being financially prudent is fine but cheapness has costs as well. One of the differences I've noted with development in the UK and Canada is that medium-term uses are really embraced over here but quickly overlooked in Canada. Just because something isn't going to be there forever doesn't mean that you can't build quality places that draw people in. It does require additional investment but doesn't require one to break the bank.
This is the biggest reason why there's little in the way of expansion. The league wants any new club to do do it right; proper ownership, proper stadium, good corporate support and a potential fanbase that actually wants soccer.

Unfortunately the people with the money to get something off the ground don't want to spend the type of money required to do it right. So we sit and wait.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:33 AM   #737
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

After CS Laurent's win over Halifax the other night, you have to think that a Quebec team has launched into first place if/when expansion does happen. Wasn't that Qatari enterprise looking at a franchise?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #738
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howcome U sports teams don't play in the Canadian Championship?
Old 05-03-2024, 11:30 AM   #739
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Different seasons, plus USPORT players are drafted and play on CPL teams, then go back to their university teams.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:41 PM   #740
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
After CS Laurent's win over Halifax the other night, you have to think that a Quebec team has launched into first place if/when expansion does happen. Wasn't that Qatari enterprise looking at a franchise?
Last night's result does nothing to change the status of a Quebec expansion bid. As with every other market in this country, if there's an ownership group willing to spend the money and a suitable stadium, there will be a club in Quebec. If St Laurent pack Claude-Robillard on Tuesday with 10000 fans then maybe it moves the needle a tiny bit to get someone with money to consider it.

I think expanding into Quebec is the top priority for the league but in the end someone has to put their money where their mouths are. That Qatari rumour was shot down pretty quickly.

Last edited by shermanator; 05-03-2024 at 01:44 PM.

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer