Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2023, 12:35 PM   #7301
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Starfield not even nominated, ouch.
Kinda like Diablo IV only getting 2 nominations. Accessibility Innovation and Best Multiplayer...and I'm not even sure that it deserves either of those.

This isn't how I was thinking the 2023 awards would look.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:13 PM   #7302
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Kinda like Diablo IV only getting 2 nominations. Accessibility Innovation and Best Multiplayer...and I'm not even sure that it deserves either of those.

This isn't how I was thinking the 2023 awards would look.
Yeah -- I mean ultimately this thing is coming down to Zelda VS. BG3 and always has been since it was clear Starfield was at least a partial face-plant.

Gotta love Nintendo revealing and releasing a GOTY nominee on a 3-month cycle though, damn (Mario Wonder). No one does it better.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:15 PM   #7303
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Have you played it? It's a great game. IMO it's certainly more deserving than say RE4 which is a remake. BG3 will be incredibly tough to beat I would expect. I'm not far into it but from what I have played it would likely edge out Starfield for the best game I have played this year.
Yeah and didn't like it much...seems I wasn't alone. Its on gamepass, everyone and their dog has played it.

Microsoft should put more effort into making quality games and less into buying the entire industry.

Pretty telling that Nintendo and Sony often have the best exclusives...especially since gamepass came out
Old 11-14-2023, 04:41 PM   #7304
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah and didn't like it much...seems I wasn't alone. Its on gamepass, everyone and their dog has played it.

Microsoft should put more effort into making quality games and less into buying the entire industry.

Pretty telling that Nintendo and Sony often have the best exclusives...especially since gamepass came out
I would put it above all the games on this list aside from BG3 but that's because I have no interest in Spider-Man, RE4, Mario, Zelda, or Allen Wake. I put 300 hours into Starfield but I found out it was all spent building outposts, designing my apartment, and designing my ship instead of the actual void of a game universe.

i might as well play Satisfactory and House Flipper.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #7305
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I would put it above all the games on this list aside from BG3 but that's because I have no interest in Spider-Man, RE4, Mario, Zelda, or Allen Wake. I put 300 hours into Starfield but I found out it was all spent building outposts, designing my apartment, and designing my ship instead of the actual void of a game universe.

i might as well play Satisfactory and House Flipper.
you would be in the minority
Old 11-14-2023, 04:55 PM   #7306
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It definitely took inspiration from these arcade racing game:

They even have screen filters you can use to change the visuals.
The best one IMO is Neo Driftout
Old 11-14-2023, 04:57 PM   #7307
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
you would be in the minority
Your point being? Two of them are 3rd person horror games which is not for everyone, one is a short "open world" game where you spend half the time not even as the main character (I bought the first Spider-Man on launch on PS4), and I have no interest in modern day Nintendo. Sony's exclusives all come to PC eventually. I lent out my PS5 a year ago and haven't felt the need to ask for it back. I care about Microsoft's ownership of Bethesda and Blizzard because I want a good Starfield to emerge (maybe a total fan overhaul like with Skyrim) and for Blizzard to actually deliver a strong player-centric Diablo or great multiplayer competitive Starcraft 3.

Also, I've figured out I can just make the deal with the devil, use Bing on my phone and at work and I end up with enough points to get a month of Gamepass for free lol

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-14-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:47 PM   #7308
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

BG3 is GOTY, none of the others even come close
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 06:40 PM   #7309
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Has anyone tried BG3 on the native Mac Silicon version yet? I'm thinking of running it on the M1 Macbook Pro. That's the last device I haven't tried for gaming as I'm on a quest to try every platform.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:44 PM   #7310
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mario Wonder was such a f'n joy
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 07:25 PM   #7311
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I was pretty surprised how short Spider-Man ended up being. 98% completed in 28 hours. I had over 40 hours on the first one and only got to about 85% completion. Less of those bases this time around where you would get 5 waves to take out to finish. I died a lot on those in the first game and a lot of first time pass on this game. I liked the story and loved the gameplay. It had everything I wanted. Apparently they are making Miles the focus going forward but with the Green Goblin still unused it seems difficult to see how Peter wouldn’t be the star of the trilogy unless they kill him off early in the game? With the Symboite their powers were even but without Miles definitely has the better abilities and is fun to play as.

I give this game a 9/10 as it was a great sequel but was surprisingly short compared to the first despite the much larger map n
Aye, it was short - but I don't think that was a bad thing. It took me 35 hours to get to 100% completion, and of that time none of it felt like grinding. It was a refreshingly tight game, and I can appreciate that.

Spoiler!

Overall really fun, 8.5/10.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:00 AM   #7312
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know I'm way behind the times, but Hollow Knight is such an amazing game. I've found the boss fights very tough but also fair. I'm already at 20 hours invested and I think I'm only ~50% complete.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:43 AM   #7313
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To echo a "way behind the times" post, but I just finished "Return of the Obra Dinn". Don't sleep on this title. It is incredible if you like murder mysteries and solving puzzles. What a great game!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:52 AM   #7314
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
That's probably going to be the end result. The story is the best since Witcher 3 but I will say it's probably a better experience on PC as the PS5 controls are a little frustrating and there's some annoying bugs at times. Alan Wake is next up for me after BG3 and I expect it to be excellent and possibly good enough to win in another year from what I have read. I can't comment on the Nintendo games because I don't play them but I'm sure they are really good and worthy in another year. As for Spiderman I'm not sure I will even play it as Miles Morales kind of stretched the fun of the first game and while it is fun to web sling around the city, these games start to run out of steam due to the repetitiveness of the side missions. It kind of falls in the trap of a sequel to a very good game that hasn't improved over the original. The one thing the AC and Far Cry games have is that the stories and characters change form game to game but it's hard to make fresh feeling sequels with the same characters and setting especially when the gameplay is unchanged. I have no doubt it's still a good game with it's formula but since I played the last two games, I don't even have to play it to know it's not GOTY.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-15-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:26 PM   #7315
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

BG3 and Zelda. Zelda's physics and builder crafting and the way they put the game together is a marvel. BG3 because of the depth and perfect take on the D&D universe. I can spend hours in Baldur's Gate 3 and forget about time.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #7316
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I know I'm way behind the times, but Hollow Knight is such an amazing game. I've found the boss fights very tough but also fair. I'm already at 20 hours invested and I think I'm only ~50% complete.
only game I've ever played that I couldn't get Platinum for because it was simply too hard. I don't usually play platformers though and probably just sucked lol ... but an absolutely wonderful game all around and I'm looking forward to playing "Silksong" (whenever it might come).
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 04:58 AM   #7317
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Hollow Knight was excellent, but I'm choked I was not good enough at platforming to beat the white palace and see the "real" ending

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:21 AM   #7318
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Starfield not even nominated, ouch.
Not surprising since there is a lot of crossover from the people contributing to the Metacritic score and voting for the awards.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:42 PM   #7319
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Not surprising since there is a lot of crossover from the people contributing to the Metacritic score and voting for the awards.
Not sure about that as the critic review score for PC on Metacritic is 86 which is very good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 07:22 PM   #7320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomorrow!

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote