Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #7301
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Found on Facebook...

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 AM   #7302
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

MOD edit: we aren't interested in drama on other boards. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #7303
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What am I looking at, looks like all of the comments were wiped.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 07-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #7304
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maclean's should go after them haha.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #7305
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Maclean's should go after them haha.
Actually they might have to. That is way too close.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #7306
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Actually they might have to. That is way too close.
As someone who has had to go after people for copyright and trademark infringement; you're right.

The problem is, if you ignore certain situations then you lose strength of argument in future cases of infringement because those lawyers will point to a previous case and say, "They didn't pursue that so clearly they only care when there's lots of money/notoriety/personal grudge."

I'm a writer so it's a little more black and white - either they copied or they didn't. It's not uncommon for me to write a blog for a client and then find someone has taken that blog and posted it verbatim on their own website. They think it's not a big deal because they get maybe 100 visitors in a month - and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't a big deal. But if I don't send them a strongly worded C&D letter then if the New York Times decides to take my work one day they can argue I have always allowed my work to be used freely without attribution they will say I'm only going after them because they have deep pockets. I might still win that case depending on how serious the copying was but my argument is a lot more difficult.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #7307
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
As someone who has had to go after people for copyright and trademark infringement; you're right.

The problem is, if you ignore certain situations then you lose strength of argument in future cases of infringement because those lawyers will point to a previous case and say, "They didn't pursue that so clearly they only care when there's lots of money/notoriety/personal grudge."

I'm a writer so it's a little more black and white - either they copied or they didn't. It's not uncommon for me to write a blog for a client and then find someone has taken that blog and posted it verbatim on their own website. They think it's not a big deal because they get maybe 100 visitors in a month - and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't a big deal. But if I don't send them a strongly worded C&D letter then if the New York Times decides to take my work one day they can argue I have always allowed my work to be used freely without attribution they will say I'm only going after them because they have deep pockets. I might still win that case depending on how serious the copying was but my argument is a lot more difficult.
Good post, thats exactly right as far as my limited understanding is concerned.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #7308
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oiler sign defenceman Yohann Auvitu: https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpo...078f91f52c/amp

Even the first couple of sentences is no good

Quote:
Competition is good in any NHL training camp, even when it’s deep in the lineup or even for a spot in the press box

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-11-2017 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #7309
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

NHL Instagram is doing a bunch of "photos from the vault".

Even though he'd've been a Ranger by 1991, here's another entry for all you "Hey Connor!" experts...

https://instagram.com/p/BWdYPNcFy0W/

Spoiler!

Last edited by drewtastic; 07-12-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #7310
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Terrifying
Old 07-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #7311
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Terrifying
Yup, definitely could use some spoiler tags - Won't someone think of the children?

Last edited by dash_pinched; 07-12-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #7312
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch...
Old 07-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #7313
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Terrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Yup, definitely could you some spoiler tags - Won't someone think of the children?
Fair points. Done and done, in the name of all that's holy.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #7314
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm definitely triggered. Back to therapy.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #7315
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know looking at that other general hockey board that rhymes with Blockey Dentures, its becoming pretty laughable.

They have threads about the best Canadian teams and the standings predictions, and if you look at them, if someone dares predict that a Canadian team finishes ahead of the Oilers or has a better future then the Oilers then all hell breaks loose and it becomes a flurry of butt hurt (what?), insulted (what?) and angry (what?) Oiler fans who need to rush to the Oilers defense, and try to proclaim that their future is incredibly bright, and awesome and nobody can touch their greatness.

So you know outside of the standard arguments of career years by older players, and very few players having an off year (Eberle and RNH). A lack of injuries to the top of their lineup. A baby poop soft schedule, and Talbot putting on a year that he might not be able to replicate. I had to look at the Oilers and wonder. Outside of the upcoming Armageddon of their salary cap situation, is their future so bright? Is it a matter of when they hoist the cup and how long that they decide to keep it. Is it possible that Captain Crunch has succumbed to his senility and he can't see the greatness of the Oilers on their path to replicate their 80's glory years and be proclaimed at some point the greatest of all times.

Plus with Stampede week, its quiet at work and my fidget isn't holding my attention.

The Core

Connor McDavid
- Undeniably the next great player in the NHL. Sure he looked like absolute bleah in the playoffs, and sure the Ducks pretty well cornered him and made him wear a dress and sing show tunes. But there's no denying that the Oilers with the easiest number one pick drafted a special player. Sure, he's making 12.5 million bucks a year, but whether its crippling or not remains to be seen. He's their franchise, and a 10/10 in terms of core.

Leon Draisaitl - Sure he jumped from 19 goals to 29 goals and 55 points to 77 points. The bottom line is he's about to get paaaaid. But he's battled consistency throughout his time with the Oilers. He was pretty horrible in 2015-16 in the second half of the season. But he burst onto the scene not as a center, but as a winger for the Conner. Statistically last year he was pretty ordinary production wise without McDavid. Is he a core players? Absolutely, it will be interesting to see what he gets paid, and if he can actually be productive on his own. Or do the Oilers have to put all their eggs in one basket.

RNH - I'd have to say that as a First Round number one pick he's ordinary at best. He's now being promoted by the Oiler faithful as their two way wizard. But realistically I would argue that he's a poor mans Michael Backlund. His production has been slowly sinking, and he was invisible on a lot of nights last year. As a 2nd or 3rd line option, his face off percentage is well below 50% and he lacks the physical strength to do much along the boards. He's an offensively smart player who takes a lot of nights off. But he is still considered a major part of their core.

Oscar Klefbom - A young defenseman at 23, who's being hyped by the Oilers faithful as a top pairing defenseman. Another of the career year guys, with good advanced Stats last year. Eye test wise he's still prone to eye popping blunders. Nearly half of his points last year came on the PP, but that's not great when your points total is 38 points. He's a guy that brings some nice offense to a blueline that doesn't have a lot of offense. Is he a first pairing guy because he's a first pairing guy? Or is he a first pairing guy because he's forced into that role. The injury to Sekera is going to force more responsibility on him.

Adam Larsson - A very good young defensive stalwart blueliner. Offensively he's not much to look at, but defensively he's excellent in his own zone and makes smart decisions. I heard he even takes uber home if he takes too many antihistamines. At this point in his career, I really think its hard to call him elite as a blueliner, he lacks an overall roundness to his game. He's a lot like Sargeant Hulka in a group of castoffs.

Darnell Nurse - Its hard to call him a core player at all because to me he's just not that good and lacks a good feel for the game. He's a lot like Denis Gauthier to me. On the plus side he's young. On the negative side, he can't stay healthy and I don't think his upside is anything beyond a 2nd pairing blueliner in a pinch. It won't help his game if he's teamed up with Kris Russell who's another positioning poor defenseman.

Cam Talbot - a gamble that paid off huge for the Oilers. He played 73 games last year and you could argue that he was heroic in the Oilers net in carrying them back to the playoffs. He's absolutely a vital core piece to the Oilers future. Of course if he replicates last year this year, there's a chance that he's going to be looking for a monstrous payday.

That to me is the Oilers core, you take out Connor and for a team that's had multiple top picks its not a great core going forward. Trading a guy in Eberle who was a core player for them for Strome is a step down, in no way is Strome a core player at all.

Right now the Oilers core to me looks like a box of nitro on a swing. If Talbot doesn't replicate his play from this year, or if Draisaitl gets a big contract and steps back, the Oilers are in a position where no one else can carry the team.

The prospects.

To be honest, the Oilers cupboard is fairly bare of prospect talent that can help the Oilers if injuries happen.

JP - Yeah I don't want to type his name. The Oilers wisely pissed away a year of his contract by keeping him in the NHL while it was clear that he was having trouble adjusting to the pro game. Keep it up boys. While he's a big supremely skilled kid, there are questions around his overall hockey IQ, this is known as the YAK factor. When he was eventually sent to the AHL he struggled there but rallied nicely to end the season. There's no doubt that ready or not he's NHL bound.

Jujihar Khaira - a big meaty bottom 6 center who has a good motor, but he's not ever going to light things up offensively.

Ethan Bear - A undersized puck moving defenseman with good offensive skills who's going to graduate to the pro's. However there should be no chance that he see's the NHL this year.

Tyler Benson - I would think he's going to play another year as an Overager in the WHL. Decently sized but lacking in offense.

Caleb Jones - Another decent puck moving defenseman with some offensive skills. He's going to probably secure a spot in Bakersfield but needs to add some meat to his lanky frame. Again no chance that he should be called up to the NHL this year.

the Wheat.

Mark Letestu - Another guy that had a career year at the age of 32 with the Oilers. But can he replicate it or will he pull a Bouma?

Patrick Maroon - The leader of the career year club more then doubling his previous high in terms of goals. He might also have to be a player thats moved at the trade deadline as the Oilers feel the cap crunch. Its safe to say that his resergence is all on McDavid.

Andrej Sekera - A good two way defenseman but not a great offensive weapon from the Blueline, he suffered a major injury and won't be back to Janurary leaving the Oilers blueline weakened.

Matt Benning - a positionally good defenseman without much in the way of offense. A bit of a late bloomer so its tough to judge. He would be a Mancini or Davidson in that he kind of explodes on the scene and fades away.

Drake Cagigula - A undersized forward that was a college hot shot but had a up and down season with the Oilers. I don't know if his offensive skills will really translate to the NHL, nor do I think he's a guy that's a great solution as a bottom 6. But Oiler fans seems to think he's bitchin so he's wheat.

the Chaff

Milan Lucic - Brings some much needed toughness to the Oilers, but he's too slow to play on their top line, which is what the Oilers overpaid for. He had a decent year in terms of offense, but could be generously discribed as a defensive black hole in that he sucked. He's got some hard miles on his body, and I wouldn't feel great about his contract at all and it might be tough to get rid of.

Ryan Strome - This kid was awful on the Island. Like Islander fans were pretty much willling to give him away and were surprised when they got a better project in Eberle.

Kris Russell
- To me a bad contract. Positionally poor and weak along the board, he boosts his blocked shots stats by having to desparately recover from his blunders. But he's now wheat because he'll be getting paid by the Oilers until he's 36.

Everything about the Oilers just really screams regressive. They're not organizationally deep. Everything after McDavid and Draisaitl is kind of meh at best and haphazardly assembled at worst. They have poor depth through their lineup, and nothing too exciting coming up with the exception of JP.

If you remove McDavid from the argument this frankly isn't much of a team, that might win if Talbot plays the role of a wall with a vacuum attached to it.

Of course you can't remove McDavid, however after his breakthrough year he'll probably get a lot more attention from other teams in terms of game planning because as the Stats show, when McDavid is off the ice, this is a different team.

The fact is that the current strategy if they can get Draisaitl under contract is to bring in young cheap good players to keep the team below the cap. The Oilers just don't have that bench and prospect strength.

Last year was the gift of Mana for the Oilers, everything went right, but just looking at them, they're a house of cards, that's about to be a really expensive house of cards.

I just get the sense that the Oilers are going to end of like the Flames at the height of Iggy's career where they couldn't surround him with talent and wasted his best years.

I truly think that the Oilers regress this year, do they regress out of the playoffs? Part of me says yes, part of me says they don't deserve anymore lottery picks.

I just don't see that core, the prospects, the wheat and the Chaff being all that successful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #7316
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You know looking at that other general hockey board that rhymes with Blockey Dentures, its becoming pretty laughable.

They have threads about the best Canadian teams and the standings predictions, and if you look at them, if someone dares predict that a Canadian team finishes ahead of the Oilers or has a better future then the Oilers then all hell breaks loose and it becomes a flurry of butt hurt (what?), insulted (what?) and angry (what?) Oiler fans who need to rush to the Oilers defense, and try to proclaim that their future is incredibly bright, and awesome and nobody can touch their greatness.

So you know outside of the standard arguments of career years by older players, and very few players having an off year (Eberle and RNH). A lack of injuries to the top of their lineup. A baby poop soft schedule, and Talbot putting on a year that he might not be able to replicate. I had to look at the Oilers and wonder. Outside of the upcoming Armageddon of their salary cap situation, is their future so bright? Is it a matter of when they hoist the cup and how long that they decide to keep it. Is it possible that Captain Crunch has succumbed to his senility and he can't see the greatness of the Oilers on their path to replicate their 80's glory years and be proclaimed at some point the greatest of all times.

Plus with Stampede week, its quiet at work and my fidget isn't holding my attention.

The Core

Connor McDavid
- Undeniably the next great player in the NHL. Sure he looked like absolute bleah in the playoffs, and sure the Ducks pretty well cornered him and made him wear a dress and sing show tunes. But there's no denying that the Oilers with the easiest number one pick drafted a special player. Sure, he's making 12.5 million bucks a year, but whether its crippling or not remains to be seen. He's their franchise, and a 10/10 in terms of core.

Leon Draisaitl - Sure he jumped from 19 goals to 29 goals and 55 points to 77 points. The bottom line is he's about to get paaaaid. But he's battled consistency throughout his time with the Oilers. He was pretty horrible in 2015-16 in the second half of the season. But he burst onto the scene not as a center, but as a winger for the Conner. Statistically last year he was pretty ordinary production wise without McDavid. Is he a core players? Absolutely, it will be interesting to see what he gets paid, and if he can actually be productive on his own. Or do the Oilers have to put all their eggs in one basket.

RNH - I'd have to say that as a First Round number one pick he's ordinary at best. He's now being promoted by the Oiler faithful as their two way wizard. But realistically I would argue that he's a poor mans Michael Backlund. His production has been slowly sinking, and he was invisible on a lot of nights last year. As a 2nd or 3rd line option, his face off percentage is well below 50% and he lacks the physical strength to do much along the boards. He's an offensively smart player who takes a lot of nights off. But he is still considered a major part of their core.

Oscar Klefbom - A young defenseman at 23, who's being hyped by the Oilers faithful as a top pairing defenseman. Another of the career year guys, with good advanced Stats last year. Eye test wise he's still prone to eye popping blunders. Nearly half of his points last year came on the PP, but that's not great when your points total is 38 points. He's a guy that brings some nice offense to a blueline that doesn't have a lot of offense. Is he a first pairing guy because he's a first pairing guy? Or is he a first pairing guy because he's forced into that role. The injury to Sekera is going to force more responsibility on him.

Adam Larsson - A very good young defensive stalwart blueliner. Offensively he's not much to look at, but defensively he's excellent in his own zone and makes smart decisions. I heard he even takes uber home if he takes too many antihistamines. At this point in his career, I really think its hard to call him elite as a blueliner, he lacks an overall roundness to his game. He's a lot like Sargeant Hulka in a group of castoffs.

Darnell Nurse - Its hard to call him a core player at all because to me he's just not that good and lacks a good feel for the game. He's a lot like Denis Gauthier to me. On the plus side he's young. On the negative side, he can't stay healthy and I don't think his upside is anything beyond a 2nd pairing blueliner in a pinch. It won't help his game if he's teamed up with Kris Russell who's another positioning poor defenseman.

Cam Talbot - a gamble that paid off huge for the Oilers. He played 73 games last year and you could argue that he was heroic in the Oilers net in carrying them back to the playoffs. He's absolutely a vital core piece to the Oilers future. Of course if he replicates last year this year, there's a chance that he's going to be looking for a monstrous payday.

That to me is the Oilers core, you take out Connor and for a team that's had multiple top picks its not a great core going forward. Trading a guy in Eberle who was a core player for them for Strome is a step down, in no way is Strome a core player at all.

Right now the Oilers core to me looks like a box of nitro on a swing. If Talbot doesn't replicate his play from this year, or if Draisaitl gets a big contract and steps back, the Oilers are in a position where no one else can carry the team.

The prospects.

To be honest, the Oilers cupboard is fairly bare of prospect talent that can help the Oilers if injuries happen.

JP - Yeah I don't want to type his name. The Oilers wisely pissed away a year of his contract by keeping him in the NHL while it was clear that he was having trouble adjusting to the pro game. Keep it up boys. While he's a big supremely skilled kid, there are questions around his overall hockey IQ, this is known as the YAK factor. When he was eventually sent to the AHL he struggled there but rallied nicely to end the season. There's no doubt that ready or not he's NHL bound.

Jujihar Khaira - a big meaty bottom 6 center who has a good motor, but he's not ever going to light things up offensively.

Ethan Bear - A undersized puck moving defenseman with good offensive skills who's going to graduate to the pro's. However there should be no chance that he see's the NHL this year.

Tyler Benson - I would think he's going to play another year as an Overager in the WHL. Decently sized but lacking in offense.

Caleb Jones - Another decent puck moving defenseman with some offensive skills. He's going to probably secure a spot in Bakersfield but needs to add some meat to his lanky frame. Again no chance that he should be called up to the NHL this year.

the Wheat.

Mark Letestu - Another guy that had a career year at the age of 32 with the Oilers. But can he replicate it or will he pull a Bouma?

Patrick Maroon - The leader of the career year club more then doubling his previous high in terms of goals. He might also have to be a player thats moved at the trade deadline as the Oilers feel the cap crunch. Its safe to say that his resergence is all on McDavid.

Andrej Sekera - A good two way defenseman but not a great offensive weapon from the Blueline, he suffered a major injury and won't be back to Janurary leaving the Oilers blueline weakened.

Matt Benning - a positionally good defenseman without much in the way of offense. A bit of a late bloomer so its tough to judge. He would be a Mancini or Davidson in that he kind of explodes on the scene and fades away.

Drake Cagigula - A undersized forward that was a college hot shot but had a up and down season with the Oilers. I don't know if his offensive skills will really translate to the NHL, nor do I think he's a guy that's a great solution as a bottom 6. But Oiler fans seems to think he's bitchin so he's wheat.

the Chaff

Milan Lucic - Brings some much needed toughness to the Oilers, but he's too slow to play on their top line, which is what the Oilers overpaid for. He had a decent year in terms of offense, but could be generously discribed as a defensive black hole in that he sucked. He's got some hard miles on his body, and I wouldn't feel great about his contract at all and it might be tough to get rid of.

Ryan Strome - This kid was awful on the Island. Like Islander fans were pretty much willling to give him away and were surprised when they got a better project in Eberle.

Kris Russell
- To me a bad contract. Positionally poor and weak along the board, he boosts his blocked shots stats by having to desparately recover from his blunders. But he's now wheat because he'll be getting paid by the Oilers until he's 36.

Everything about the Oilers just really screams regressive. They're not organizationally deep. Everything after McDavid and Draisaitl is kind of meh at best and haphazardly assembled at worst. They have poor depth through their lineup, and nothing too exciting coming up with the exception of JP.

If you remove McDavid from the argument this frankly isn't much of a team, that might win if Talbot plays the role of a wall with a vacuum attached to it.

Of course you can't remove McDavid, however after his breakthrough year he'll probably get a lot more attention from other teams in terms of game planning because as the Stats show, when McDavid is off the ice, this is a different team.

The fact is that the current strategy if they can get Draisaitl under contract is to bring in young cheap good players to keep the team below the cap. The Oilers just don't have that bench and prospect strength.

Last year was the gift of Mana for the Oilers, everything went right, but just looking at them, they're a house of cards, that's about to be a really expensive house of cards.

I just get the sense that the Oilers are going to end of like the Flames at the height of Iggy's career where they couldn't surround him with talent and wasted his best years.

I truly think that the Oilers regress this year, do they regress out of the playoffs? Part of me says yes, part of me says they don't deserve anymore lottery picks.

I just don't see that core, the prospects, the wheat and the Chaff being all that successful.
Yikes. No Oilers fan here but get a hobby. The dissertation is comical.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #7317
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Captain Crunch always posts the most objective, completely non- biased Oilers predictions. If anything they're optimistic.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #7318
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Captain Crunch always posts the most objective, completely non- biased Oilers predictions. If anything they're optimistic.
Ask him about their cap situation.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #7319
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is that a herpe on Messier's lip?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #7320
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think I was pretty nice about it, I could have summed it up in the following way.

Outside of McDavid and Draisaitl and Talbot, pretty much poo, oh and based on last year unsustainable.

Oh and they're going to die a quick death by salary cap.

Closed Thread