Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #7241
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I can't believe they actually delivered this...I paid for this in 2011! My handle is already reserved as Wing_Commander. I never got my dog tags from them though, they got my kickstarter $300 11 years ago
They haven't delivered anything yet. A flashy preview video is nowhere close to being a fully-playable shipped game.

As with literally everything associated with Star Citizen, unless and until they release a v1.0 build that is an actual real game and not just a beta or tech demo, then everything associated with this title should be considered vaporware.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:57 PM   #7242
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
They haven't delivered anything yet. A flashy preview video is nowhere close to being a fully-playable shipped game.

As with literally everything associated with Star Citizen, unless and until they release a v1.0 build that is an actual real game and not just a beta or tech demo, then everything associated with this title should be considered vaporware.
"I can't believe they delivered this!" could be talking about just the trailer. That seems to be the bar to keep the Star Citizen people happy and investing, anyhow.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 09:34 AM   #7243
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Spider-Man is a great game when you're actually being Spider-Man. I almost fell asleep playing last night wandering around a building as regular Peter, feeding fish and solving simple puzzles. And yes it was a mandatory story mission. Every Sony game going this direction with so many long boring walk-and-talk sections.

I see this complaint consistently about the Spider-Man games so I’m obviously in the minority, but I always found these sections a nice change of pace.

The main gameplay loop is so fast and frantic that I like when it slows itself down and gives the characters room to breathe. Especially in the sequel due to how much side content they throw at you, how quick it is to get around with the wing suit, and how there are literally no load times in the game anymore. I need a few minutes to chill every now and again haha.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #7244
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Is there a good source on seeing how well your machine will run a game? I see Stray went on sale, and looks great, but my machine is old as ####, with a slightly less old as #### graphics card. I don't even remember what I have off-hand, hoping something will just figure it out for me.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:22 PM   #7245
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Is there a good source on seeing how well your machine will run a game? I see Stray went on sale, and looks great, but my machine is old as ####, with a slightly less old as #### graphics card. I don't even remember what I have off-hand, hoping something will just figure it out for me.
Steam can tell you all your computer specs. I don't remember where they show the info but I bet google can tell you what menu it's under. I don't think it'll automatically tell you that you can run a game but the Steam page for Stray will tell you the minimum and recommended specs for the game to compare against.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #7246
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 11:53 AM   #7247
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Steam can tell you all your computer specs. I don't remember where they show the info but I bet google can tell you what menu it's under. I don't think it'll automatically tell you that you can run a game but the Steam page for Stray will tell you the minimum and recommended specs for the game to compare against.
Thanks! I remember seeing that, I just have no idea how to tell if my card is better or worse than the minimum, or if I can pull off reasonably "medium" settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
This is perfect, thanks!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:42 PM   #7248
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The new Robocop game is seriously fun.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 07:42 AM   #7249
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played the demo and liked it. It was pretty buggy though and it crashed probably 4-5 times.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:01 PM   #7250
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Radiant Silvergun will be on Steam tomorrow. If you haven't had a chance to try out this classic shmup then you won't really have an excuse anymore! It broke tons of conventions in the genre and still holds up really well due to the 3D graphics design complimenting the capabilities at the time. It's also far more serious in tone and story than most shmups of the time. In my opinion, the only weakness these days is the dated anime style the characters were done with. They really stand out in a bad way to the tone of the game, though the voice acting is okay.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...ant_Silvergun/
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 08:10 AM   #7251
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I consider myself lucky for not playing the game until the PS5 remaster came out. I loved the game and started a new game plus to do it all again with all my gear from the get go. I ended up picking up part 2 when it was on sale and it looked nice even though it was a PS4 title. I hear rumors there is a part 2 remaster coming out. I was not a huge fan of the story in part 2 and it dragged so I ageee with EE that the first is the superior game.
Just quoting this to say thanks, as well as to the others who recommended the remaster. Masterpiece.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:30 AM   #7252
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been a turn based RPG expert but I've finished games like Divinity 2, Persona 5, etc but I really suck at BG3 combat. I'm playing balanced and every single battle is a major struggle. Does it kind of get a little easier as you level up as so far it's a major grind repeating almost every battle or just fleeing them to avoid entirely.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #7253
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy @!# I haven't been humbled by a game as much as MX Bikes.. basically a dirt bike simulator for PC. It's very controller friendly if you have one, but if I get around a lap without crashing it's a massive victory. Huge learning curve but quite rewarding
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #7254
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've never been a turn based RPG expert but I've finished games like Divinity 2, Persona 5, etc but I really suck at BG3 combat. I'm playing balanced and every single battle is a major struggle. Does it kind of get a little easier as you level up as so far it's a major grind repeating almost every battle or just fleeing them to avoid entirely.
Yes, levels 1-4 are a slog, as you miss a lot and don't hit for a lot of damage when you do hit. It can be pretty frustrating. If you have the Karmic Dice option on (which is the default setting for that option) that makes it even harder, IMO.

In my playthroughs these days, I usually do Explorer until lvl 5, then bump it up Balanced, just to ease my frustration.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 10:36 AM   #7255
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Started playing Sea of Stars and quite like it so far. It feels less RPG-y in that so far I haven't had to sift through dozens of weapons and armor, make a bunch of skill tree choices, etc. Still early so stuff is pretty easy but choosing when to do certain attacks or combos seems like where the details are.

Probably only thing that is frustrating is if you leave a zone and come back in all the enemies respawn, which makes backtracking a grind, but I've been told to just leave any backtracking alone for a bit and eventually that'll be easier.

On the lite/easy side of RPGs feels like but the story is interesting and I like the art so enjoying it so far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 10:53 AM   #7256
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Playing Like a Dragon: Ishin which came onto Gamepass last week. It's an updated UE4 HD remake of original one that was a launch title for PS4.

If you are a fan of the Yakuza series, its an interesting historical spin on the events of 19th century Japan. Its not going to have the swordplay of a game like Sekiro or Nioh being based on a 10 year old title. People say its grindy like Japanese RPGs but I'm enjoying it so far on Legendary difficulty (I die within taking a few hits).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-06-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 11:14 AM   #7257
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Started playing Sea of Stars and quite like it so far. It feels less RPG-y in that so far I haven't had to sift through dozens of weapons and armor, make a bunch of skill tree choices, etc. Still early so stuff is pretty easy but choosing when to do certain attacks or combos seems like where the details are.

Probably only thing that is frustrating is if you leave a zone and come back in all the enemies respawn, which makes backtracking a grind, but I've been told to just leave any backtracking alone for a bit and eventually that'll be easier.

On the lite/easy side of RPGs feels like but the story is interesting and I like the art so enjoying it so far.
It’s a fun game but I found it really easy, to the point that I rarely bother trying to block attacks. If you don’t activate the relics you collect it’s more challenging.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 02:01 PM   #7258
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Talos Principle 2 just came out. I didn't even know it was coming.

I haven't played enough yet, but it is turning out to be a fantastic follow-up so far.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 10:40 PM   #7259
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pretty surprised how short Spider-Man ended up being. 98% completed in 28 hours. I had over 40 hours on the first one and only got to about 85% completion. Less of those bases this time around where you would get 5 waves to take out to finish. I died a lot on those in the first game and a lot of first time pass on this game. I liked the story and loved the gameplay. It had everything I wanted. Apparently they are making Miles the focus going forward but with the Green Goblin still unused it seems difficult to see how Peter wouldn’t be the star of the trilogy unless they kill him off early in the game? With the Symboite their powers were even but without Miles definitely has the better abilities and is fun to play as.

I give this game a 9/10 as it was a great sequel but was surprisingly short compared to the first despite the much larger map n
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:03 AM   #7260
Toast_Man
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Yes, levels 1-4 are a slog, as you miss a lot and don't hit for a lot of damage when you do hit. It can be pretty frustrating. If you have the Karmic Dice option on (which is the default setting for that option) that makes it even harder, IMO.

In my playthroughs these days, I usually do Explorer until lvl 5, then bump it up Balanced, just to ease my frustration.
I second this. The early levels are a slog and I found myself skipping harder fights and circling back when I hit a higher level. Once you hit level 5 and your fighters get an extra attack, the fights become much more fun. Same goes for spells and casters, I didn't even use Gale until I hit level 4 or 5.

Last edited by Toast_Man; 11-07-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote