Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #701
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Winnipeg had a ring road well before any of the Alberta ones were built.
And Rome had one before Winnipeg????
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #702
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Winnipeg had a ring road well before any of the Alberta ones were built.
Wasn't Winnipeg given lots of big roads for evacuation abilities due to floods/nuclear war? I seem to remember hearing that many years ago.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #703
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Winnipeg in general was planned to be a much larger city than it has ended up being. As the railway hub of Canada, it was supposed to be the "Chicago of the north." Winnipeg is the big city that ended up small, and Calgary is the small city that ended up big.
frinkprof is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #704
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tsuu T'ina chief says he'll meet with his people on S.W. ring road

Why does it feel like I'm driving in circles?
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #705
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post

Because we've been doing it for half a century?
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #706
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been there, done that. It didn't work. Let's move on. Option 4, please!
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #707
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

You can only drive in 3/4 of a circle.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #708
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that this is a case of blowing the dust off of the previous offer and tweaking a few specific things. If the whole offer fell through because of some wording, reassurances, etc., then I don't have a problem with it.

That being said, some have suggested that there may be some mistrust between the Tsuu Tina people and their leadership, which may prove to be the nail in the coffin for that route.

If they're ready to accept the same offer as the last one (with some minor tweaks), that would give us the best ring road option. Truly a win-win-win between the nation, the people of Calgary, and the neighbourhoods nearby. But if this is a case of going back to the drawing board completely, we might as well forget it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #709
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe they can entice him with some beer.

Jokes aside lets hope they get something done so the ball can start rolling on these projects. We NEED a ring road.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #710
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
If they're ready to accept the same offer as the last one (with some minor tweaks), that would give us the best ring road option. Truly a win-win-win between the nation, the people of Calgary, and the neighbourhoods nearby. But if this is a case of going back to the drawing board completely, we might as well forget it.
The best option is to have both the road through the Tsuu T’ina land and a road down 37th Street. That's just wishful thinking though.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #711
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The best option is to have both the road through the Tsuu T’ina land and a road down 37th Street. That's just wishful thinking though.
Easy there, sport. One contentious transportation project at a time.

I think that if the ring road goes through Tsuu Tina land and is built with plenty of capacity, that will negate the need for much to be done on 37th. Someone from Oakridge will still be able to get to Glamorgan in record time, and the non-local traffic will have a nice, quick, and relatively straight route. With room for expansion, no less.

Even if, in say 50 years, there is a need for 37th to carry on across the Weaselhead, it'll never happen. They'll just add lanes to Stoney. (IMO, of course).
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #712
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The province is only responsible financially for the Ring Road itself. If it goes through the reserve then its up to the City to upgrade 37th. If they arent willing to traverse the Weaselhead now they wont be going back to it in 50 years.

I think this is nothing other than smoke from Tsu Tina. If you arent negotiating with anyone who has any power whatsoever then what is the point. What they should do is completely bypass the band leadership, add say 5 mil to the deal to make it different and then bring it to the actual people who vote. Hold public forums, assault the reserve with advertising, billboards etc. There must be a way to force a referendum without the councils consent - that is the road I would go if you want to give the Tsu Tina one last option.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #713
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have an idea of what the estimated (best case) completion date of the SW RR would be?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #714
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
YHT isn't exactly comparitive to the Deerfoot. That would probably be the Whitemud which is just as screwed up as the Deerfoot in some areas, but doesn't have a traffic signal on it that I can remember.
No, but there was a considerable amount of whining in Edmonton about how Deerfoot was freeflow while YHT was not. So pyschologically, I'd say the roads are equivalent.

Quote:
I really wonder when the Henday will be complete here. There's still a significant problem with crossing the river on the NE corner. I'm pretty sure they don't have that one figured out yet. It's a much easier problem to solve than the SW Stoney Trail, so you're most likely right, the Henday should be complete first.
According to the government website, the NE corner is still only in the discussion phase, so a couple years out at least.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #715
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
According to the government website, the NE corner is still only in the discussion phase, so a couple years out at least.
Ahem:

Yesterday's news release.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #716
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Does anyone have an idea of what the estimated (best case) completion date of the SW RR would be?
Well, we can use the other portions of the ring road as examples of timelines.

Let's assume they magically get an agreement in place with the Tsuu Tina in mid 2011 and have the funding to start immediately. They can finalize the Functional Plan in late 2011/Early 2012. P3 Bidding starts in Spring 2012, contract awarded late summer 2012. Contractor starts work fall 2012 and takes 3 years to finish. So November 2015 would be my "best case" guess.

Last edited by Mazrim; 03-03-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #717
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hope that this is a case of blowing the dust off of the previous offer and tweaking a few specific things. If the whole offer fell through because of some wording, reassurances, etc., then I don't have a problem with it.

That being said, some have suggested that there may be some mistrust between the Tsuu Tina people and their leadership, which may prove to be the nail in the coffin for that route.

I agree completely... and the report I heard yesterday said that the Chief was hoping to take the original offer back to the tribe members in order to help clarify some of the confusion and if needed, do some minor re-wording so everyone is satisfied.

That's just a report I heard on QR77 yesterday.... the only thing I don't understand is why couldn't the Chief helped clarify the offer before the original vote and avoid some of the potential mistrust that the tribe has.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #718
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think that if the ring road goes through Tsuu Tina land and is built with plenty of capacity, that will negate the need for much to be done on 37th. Someone from Oakridge will still be able to get to Glamorgan in record time, and the non-local traffic will have a nice, quick, and relatively straight route. With room for expansion, no less.
Yes, but... a road through Tsuu T'ina land to Sarcee Trail for the ring road does nothing for the people in the deep SW trying to get downtown or center city. There's some heavy traffic there that still needs to be dealt with. A 37th Street road won't solve that problem, but it will certainly help.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #719
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but... a road through Tsuu T'ina land to Sarcee Trail for the ring road does nothing for the people in the deep SW trying to get downtown or center city. There's some heavy traffic there that still needs to be dealt with. A 37th Street road won't solve that problem, but it will certainly help.
You don't know what you're talking about, do you? In fact, a ring road on Tsuu Tina land will help a ton in getting downtown from the deep SW. Just as much as completing 37th Street from Glenmore to Anderson in Option 4 presented in the Open Houses.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #720
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I would assume that if the SW RR connected into Sarcee and then Sarcee eventually becomes free flowing, it would get traffic to Bow trail or even Memorial a hell of a lot faster than 37th would.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote