Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #701
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
When installing those things go very slow and careful, and do it in a clean room, not a dusty dirty desk.

Easiest way to get a really good clean room is to do it in the bathroom which you've steamed up for quite a while, the moisture in the air cleans up the floating dust.
You should work for them, because that advice is way better than anything on the instructions! I was as careful as possible, but I just couldn't get it to fit properly. I've always purchased cases for my devices because I'm notoriously brutal at applying these types of things. Suppose I shouldn't second guess myself.

Last edited by Russic; 08-13-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #702
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

You should have said you where going to do this, here is a really good write up on how to do the install.
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/...stall-contest/
Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #703
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
You should have said you where going to do this, here is a really good write up on how to do the install.
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/...stall-contest/

That is a useful guide if anybody orders one in the future. Personally I did many of the things in that guide and it just didn't seem to work very well. I can't really pinpoint exactly what it is I did wrong ... it just never fit properly for me. I realize fully that I am in the minority as I haven't heard a whole lot of negative things about the invisible shield. The thing that gets me is that once you screw it up, it's pretty much done. Even though I tried it several times, after the first mistake I was hooped. All I can hope for now is they honor the money back guarantee as I'm unsatisfied.

Now I'm looking at hard cases that are significantly more idiot proof (or russic proof).
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #704
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

so I just picked up the iPhone and this is my first post with it!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #705
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Simply, I'm in love with my iPhone. I got it on the weekend....it's a thing of beauty!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #706
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Congrats to you both! Prepare to be taken over by something the size of your wallet. It's humbling when something that small owns you.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #707
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.case-mate.com/phones/appl...4Pa38Ta38Lchj0

This looks like a pretty cool case.
I have a similar case for my ipod and have 1 problem with it that this might as well.
The hole on the case where the headphones go in is not that wide, and of course it sits up a few millimeters due to the thickness of the case itself. If you have a wider cable jack like the ones found on aux cables to your stereo or car input, they may not go in all the way, and the sound won't come through fully.
this case may be better, but just a word of warning if you ever plug into a bigger cable; you might want to pick it up somewhere with an easy return policy.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #708
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My girlfriend's mom called me a crackberry yesterday.....to which I argued I'm an iCracker.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #709
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
When installing those things go very slow and careful, and do it in a clean room, not a dusty dirty desk.

Easiest way to get a really good clean room is to do it in the bathroom which you've steamed up for quite a while, the moisture in the air cleans up the floating dust.
Timely advice for me, as I'm expecting mine to come any day now.

I bought a Griffin hard case ('the wave', I think) with stick on screen protector, and a silicone skin from Belkin... Both have felated goats for me: The case just collected dust, and the screen protector peeled off in about a week. The skin has performed slightly better, but it's awkward pulling it out of my pocket when the phone needs to be answered, adds sloppy-bulk and doesn't protect the screen.

I'm hoping I don't botch the install of the Invisasheild, and can combine it with the skin while working...
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #710
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Anyone getting terrible battery life. I mean truely bad? I charged my phone at work yesterday, unplugged it at around noon. When I got up this morning I had less than 10% left.

I rebooted yesterday afternoon, have wi-fi turned off.. I do have fetch set to every 15 minutes and push enabled for my contacts and stuff, but that's no different than someone using mobile me. Less than 24 hours seems too low.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #711
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

my battery was worse than that before the 2.0.1 and now its seems to be alot better. I have fetch turned off and push on, keep wifi on and i charged it on Tuesday and have it plugged back in now, used the ipod for about hour and a half since charge and use it a fair amount during the day. You said earlier that in Chestermere you only get on edge, would that have something to do with it?

That does seem pretty battery life though
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #712
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the phone yesterday and charged it last night for the first time... so we'll see how my battery life runs. I am hoping it's not a daily thing, but then again, that's what happens if you are on it all day!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #713
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

i charge mine once a day. Usually over night.
I do a lot of txting, and do some surfing over 3g during the day.
Wifi off during the day, since I don't have a hot spot at work.
Wifi is on when i am home. That seems to be the biggest drain on my battery.
I don't have any fetch or push on.
When I first got it, I thought the battery was terrible. I would have to go home at lunch to charge my phone so it would last the day.
Then i let it die completely, and charged it fully. After that, battery life seemed to have improved a little bit. I don't have to do a mid-day charge.

Also, my phone auto-locks after a minute. If you press and release the on/off button, the phone will lock, if you don't want to wait the minute.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #714
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
i charge mine once a day. Usually over night.
I do a lot of txting, and do some surfing over 3g during the day.
Wifi off during the day, since I don't have a hot spot at work.
Wifi is on when i am home. That seems to be the biggest drain on my battery.
I don't have any fetch or push on.
When I first got it, I thought the battery was terrible. I would have to go home at lunch to charge my phone so it would last the day.
Then i let it die completely, and charged it fully. After that, battery life seemed to have improved a little bit. I don't have to do a mid-day charge.

Also, my phone auto-locks after a minute. If you press and release the on/off button, the phone will lock, if you don't want to wait the minute.
I just bring the usb cord to work now and let it sit on that!
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #715
photon

Exp:

I guess it might impact that I usually listen to it maybe 3 hours a day, use it on the drive into work and drive home, and sometimes while I'm going to sleep.

If I could find a good dock for my Murano that charged I guess that would solve the issue as it would charge when I drove into work, but the stupid lighter outlet in the Murano is INSIDE the centre console, so the cool one with a flexible arm that holds the dock up won't work there.. I'll have to come up with a better install but that'll take a lot of work (I want to wire it in directly, apparently with my Murano I can use the Satellite setting on my radio to control it directly, even use the steering wheel controls!).
Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #716
goeagles
Draft Pick

There's a post on that iphoneincanada.ca site talks about battery life. Sounded like some people said all it needed was a reset. The poster sent his back to Rogers for a new one...

Quote:
I guess it might impact that I usually listen to it maybe 3 hours a day, use it on the drive into work and drive home, and sometimes while I'm going to sleep.

If I could find a good dock for my Murano that charged I guess that would solve the issue as it would charge when I drove into work, but the stupid lighter outlet in the Murano is INSIDE the centre console, so the cool one with a flexible arm that holds the dock up won't work there.. I'll have to come up with a better install but that'll take a lot of work (I want to wire it in directly, apparently with my Murano I can use the Satellite setting on my radio to control it directly, even use the steering wheel controls!).
goeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #717
photon

Exp:

I asked Fido about that once and they said they wouldn't take it back, that I'd have to send it to Apple.

I'm waiting for now to see what they do about the dropped call and call quality stuff. I get quite a few dropped calls with the phone and it's been all over the blogs that they should have an update out by the end of the month... but others are saying that it might not be fixable, so I might wait to see if there's a rev of the chipset and do the warranty at that point.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #718
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I already have the 6 gig data plan, and would only have to put 1 more year on my contract to get the full discounted price. I currently have a BB pearl.

Any reason for me not to get an iphone?

I'm trying to look for the negatives, but other then $300 I can't find any, and $300 isn't that bad to me.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #719
photon

Exp:

Negatives, the keyboard isn't as nice to work with as the BB, as a BB replacement it definitely isn't there yet (check for comparison reviews), dropped calls are common, battery life...

Still a good device, but far from a perfect device.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #720
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

iPhone question for you guys in the know... I have a regular rogers iPhone, no jailbreak, just basically fresh from the box.

How do I get new ringtones?