Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #701
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Having a picture of Trudeau and Johnson would actually have made for a pretty good dumb and dumber meme. Johnson is giving huge Harry energy with his hair.

So many missed opportunities.
Ok, laugh it up. “There is no reason any simpleton should find humour comparing me to the dough-headed weirdo with a pretty suspect background. I mean seriously, has he ever even ran a successful small business or anything? GROW UP people “
Signed Lloyd Christmas.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #702
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
If you have a partner check there account, I got the carbon tax rebate last year but under the new payment system they put it through the same sexist system (where the payment defaults to the female partner) that the CRA runs for the child support payments.
Took me way longer than it probably should have to figure out what you meant by partner here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:13 AM   #703
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Are you guys sure? I checked wealthsimpletax and it says, for a couple, the person whose tax return gets assessed first will receive the payment. Usually who submitted first will get assessed first. It's not dependent on who gets the child tax benefits.
Sheep. Its all part of the war on men.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #704
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Sheep. Its all part of the war on men.
My posting history clearly would show that I don't believe in a war on men... I was also specifically told by a CRA agent that child benefit payments go to the female partner. I made a poor assumption that the same thing happened with the carbon tax refund.. my bad... Jeez

And I've already made two posts about my assumption and my bad.. jeez this forum is toxic...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Krovikan; 07-18-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #705
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Ok, laugh it up. “There is no reason any simpleton should find humour comparing me to the dough-headed weirdo with a pretty suspect background. I mean seriously, has he ever even ran a successful small business or anything? GROW UP people “
Signed Lloyd Christmas.
You completely missed the mark here but I love the energy. Now let’s funnel that into creating better memes.

If people who are told they’ve never walk again can become medical miracles and take their first steps, I have to believe conservatives can be taught how to be funny. They might write you off, but I believe in you.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #706
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My posting history clearly would show that I don't believe in a war on men... I was also specifically told by a CRA agent that child benefit payments go to the female partner. I made a poor assumption that the same thing happened with the carbon tax refund.. my bad... Jeez

And I've already made two posts about my assumption and my bad.. jeez this forum is toxic...

It was meant in jest. Stay cool my friend.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #707
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Also I will point out that this isn't CRA policy and is the actual law for CCB.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #708
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a correlation between CERB and inflation?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #709
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Is there a correlation between CERB and inflation?
Sort of, but not necessarily a strong one. Inflation is due to supply/demand imbalance and money supply increases. For the former, there was pent up demand for a lot of things coming out of the more severe phase of the pandemic that even under normal supply conditions would likely spur price increases. But then when you have supply constraints (e.g. companies having trouble increasing production quickly after shuttering during the pandemic, lockdowns in China, war in Ukraine, etc.) the inflationary pressures are even greater.

The other end of it is the money supply increase, of which CERB plays a part (but not a particularly big one). Canada's M2 supply (basically total liquid money supply) has increased by about $500B since the start of the pandemic. By comparison, CERB was about $80B, so about 16% of that. And of course, CERB wasn't just money on top of what people were already earning; to a large degree it was replacing lost earnings. So to an individual, this wasn't really "new" money that would increase their spending capacity (which would drive inflation), but rather a replacement of other income sources that allowed them to continue to pay for necessities (food/rent/mortgage/etc.).

And beyond that, CERB was more or less a one-time thing. So it wouldn't explain the continued inflation we're seeing, because it would have largely already worked its way through the system. And money supply increases in general have moderated significantly, so that should remove pressure from that side of the equation. Canada's M2 increase in the last 2 years of the pandemic are on par with what we saw basically every single year in the '70s and early '80s, so as long as they don't continue that we should avoid runaway inflation. And so far they're not, as 2022 is on pace to see one of the the slowest increases in M2 in the last several decades.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #710
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

How much did the US M2 Supply increase the last 5 years?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:57 AM   #711
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL

Graph here. But about $8.5 trillion.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #712
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
$8.2B (60% increase). So it's high, but not insanely so historically. The average 5-year increase in US's M2 in the last 60 years has been about 45%. With a couple of years of more modest growth, they'll be right back on their historical trajectory.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #713
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Sort of, but not necessarily a strong one. Inflation is due to supply/demand imbalance and money supply increases. For the former, there was pent up demand for a lot of things coming out of the more severe phase of the pandemic that even under normal supply conditions would likely spur price increases. But then when you have supply constraints (e.g. companies having trouble increasing production quickly after shuttering during the pandemic, lockdowns in China, war in Ukraine, etc.) the inflationary pressures are even greater.

The other end of it is the money supply increase, of which CERB plays a part (but not a particularly big one). Canada's M2 supply (basically total liquid money supply) has increased by about $500B since the start of the pandemic. By comparison, CERB was about $80B, so about 16% of that. And of course, CERB wasn't just money on top of what people were already earning; to a large degree it was replacing lost earnings. So to an individual, this wasn't really "new" money that would increase their spending capacity (which would drive inflation), but rather a replacement of other income sources that allowed them to continue to pay for necessities (food/rent/mortgage/etc.).

And beyond that, CERB was more or less a one-time thing. So it wouldn't explain the continued inflation we're seeing, because it would have largely already worked its way through the system. And money supply increases in general have moderated significantly, so that should remove pressure from that side of the equation. Canada's M2 increase in the last 2 years of the pandemic are on par with what we saw basically every single year in the '70s and early '80s, so as long as they don't continue that we should avoid runaway inflation. And so far they're not, as 2022 is on pace to see one of the the slowest increases in M2 in the last several decades.
Thank you!

Now that folks are paying their CERB back, will that help combat inflation?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #714
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
$8.2B (60% increase). So it's high, but not insanely so historically. The average 5-year increase in US's M2 in the last 60 years has been about 45%. With a couple of years of more modest growth, they'll be right back on their historical trajectory.
But it does explain why Canada would have higher inflationary pressure if your biggest trading partner has a much higher than normal money supply over a 5 year period.

The issue in Canada wasn't the COVID support, but the billions in other spending that needed to be kept in line, (arguments for & against) but the US is absolutely ridiculous in the amount of money they created and pumped into the economy. Doesn't take a fancy degree in economics to realize that it'll eventually lead to a massive problem.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #715
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why do you think North America is experiencing considerably higher inflation than Europe, even though energy prices in Europe have climbed more sharply?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #716
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it hit Medicine Hat...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1549130518528028672

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-hat-1.6524346
Old 07-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #717
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we blame this on the Cons, Libs or NDP? Maybe best to blame it on the Greens.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #718
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Why do you think North America is experiencing considerably higher inflation than Europe, even though energy prices in Europe have climbed more sharply?
Why do you think North America is considerably higher than Europe.

Canada was at 7.7% in June May, the Euro area was 8.6% in June
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).

Last edited by belsarius; 07-18-2022 at 03:56 PM.
belsarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #719
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoops, don't know how I missed putting that in the weather thread...Oh well, must be the fault of the unaffiliated senate caucus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #720
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Do we blame this on the Cons, Libs or NDP? Maybe best to blame it on the Greens.
Definitely the Greens' fault.

If they werent always so goddamned useless maybe they'd have been elected and have solved our Climate Crisis by now.

But nope. Useless.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote