Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should start game one?
Rittich 130 40.25%
Talbot 193 59.75%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2020, 01:52 AM   #701
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I agree with you on overall talent level, and I have not forgotten last year. I think the results from the back portion of 19/20 are also encouraging albeit a small sample.

Someone else mentioned Johnny with 99 points last year, and that was great and he looked every dangerous last night which is also great, but we are talking mostly assists (also great).
What I am talking about is pure, clutch goal scoring. Monahan has the ability, but as we know he is basically a 30-goal man (great to have) and he has scored some clutch goals (also great).
When was the last time the Flames had a fifty goal scorer?
I know these guys don't grow on trees, but they are out there and the Flames do not have one.

Just for the record, I'm not down on the team per se. I'm a fan and I'm always optimistic. I was originally commenting on my experience watching them last night and the similarities to seasons past. As SuperMatt showed there is a trend there. I know it is pretty easy to just say "I wish we had an all-world sniper". Every fan would say that, but that doesn't mean that having one wouldn't help.

Say what you want about the Oilers, but watching McDavid and Draisaitl last night makes it crystal clear that we don't have a finisher in their tier. I feel like the Flames would be a legit contender with either of those guys on the roster in exchange for any player. Or, to bring it back to my original comment, Iggy in anyone's place.

Just my thoughts. Go Flames Go.
2028-19 - there were 2 guys with 51 and 50 goals - Ovi and Drai

Among the top 30 scorers, Gaudreau was tied for 18th with 36 and Monahan and Tkachuk were tied for 25th with 34

3 guys in the top 30, in a 32 team league

The talent is there. The guy who can get them to consistently produce to their potential is not

There is a correlation between how the team plays and what they accomplish
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #702
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

After watching the exhibition games I’m gonna say Jets in 3.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #703
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems like the people arguing against me are implying that I don't think the Flames have any talent or that the team can't score or that every other team except the Flames has an elite goal scorer.

I made one very simple and factual point: The Flames do not have an elite goal scorer on there team. We all know the player I'm talking about. The player that can will a goal when his team needs one. Not every single time, but often enough that he is respected and feared by opposing teams. The last player the Flames had like this was Iginla.

Also, I am not arguing that that player alone makes a team good. As Dino 7c pointed out the Iginla years were characterized by low team scoring and not much team success. I am simply saying that having a player like that on the current team would elevate them into contender status.

I'm honestly surprised it seems to be controversial at all.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #704
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Switching gears, no doubt the Flames will be in tough against the Jets. They will need to run the net relentlessly IMO.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #705
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is gonna be a tough one for the Flames. Hellebuyck is amazing. But I think the Jets are also better than the Flames in the top 6. While the Flames have a clear advantage on defence, I think the Jets got much better after DeMelo arrived. I think it’ll be a 5 game toss up, but I think it could be a short series if Hellebuyck plays like he did during the regular season. If that happens, Flames fans get entertained by an interesting offseason and a lottery.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #706
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t watch the game last night but hears Helleybuck had 37 saves in a 4-1 win. Our biggest question mark for the Flames is the Jets security blanket which is scary for Calgary
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #707
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Goaltending is such a difference maker in the playoffs.. Flames don’t have it, Jets do.

Jets in 3 or 4.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #708
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Interesting ... the Jets had 35% of the xGF% last night.

Outplayed, but win. The two teams are complete opposites from their only dress rehearsal.

Calgary really needs a goalie to stand up.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #709
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I see a lot of people suggesting Talbot starts on Saturday. I don’t know about that. Both goalies make me nervous but in my mind Rittich is the starter. I think you start the series with BSD and hope he doesn’t implode. If he does he’s stapled to the bench.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #710
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Havent made a prediction yet but I got the Jets sweeping with ease. Just don't see any of our goalies coming up big.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #711
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I see a lot of people suggesting Talbot starts on Saturday. I don’t know about that. Both goalies make me nervous but in my mind Rittich is the starter. I think you start the series with BSD and hope he doesn’t implode. If he does he’s stapled to the bench.
Talbot I thought started bleh and was way out of position on the first goal. I thought he settled down and got better as the game went on, which I think is to be expected seeing being in a real game after 4 months. Mentally it just looked like he was in a better place.

Rittch wasn't really tested, probably didn't see much more than 10 shots in his 30 mins he played. Difference was Rittich didn't bounce back and you could see him getting rattled. If I saw, you know everyone on the ice saw it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #712
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm picking Talbot to start. But its really a coin flip, don't think either can get the job done head to head against Helly.

Of course I am hoping for one of them to make a stand. But the Flames to me are in the same spot as the end of last season, needing a total clean slate in net.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #713
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Goaltending is such a difference maker in the playoffs.. Flames don’t have it, Jets do.

Jets in 3 or 4.
I was hoping Hellebuyck may look shaky last night but he was in mid-season form. If the first line was rolling I would think the Flames may be able to overcome the goaltending deficit but they haven't really got hot all year and didn't look impressive against the Oilers. I just don't know if the Flames are going to be able to score enough goals to offset the ones the Jets will surely get past Flames leaky netminders.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #714
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL.com social media put out their top 16 teams entering the playoffs. No Flames, Jets come in at 15.

Not that the Flames have much to complain about being an 8 seed, but I get the feeling it's a team without much of an identity that doesn't engender strong feelings outside it's fanbase. Minnesota Wildesque.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #715
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this series going to be broadcasted on CBC or are all the series going to be solely going through Sportsnet channels only?
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #716
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The performance that Hellebuyck delivered was pretty much equivalent to the Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm line kicking in with 6 goals against Edmonton and dominating play every time they hit the ice.

The real great news for the Flames is that they go into the series as clear cut underdogs.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #717
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
NHL.com social media put out their top 16 teams entering the playoffs. No Flames, Jets come in at 15.

Not that the Flames have much to complain about being an 8 seed, but I get the feeling it's a team without much of an identity that doesn't engender strong feelings outside it's fanbase. Minnesota Wildesque.

I know based on his record since taking over and the circumstances this year they had to let Ward ride this out, but it would have been an ideal time to have someone like Darryl Sutter come in and coach and audit the team.

He could bulletin board this and all of the other articles and chatter about this core and any player who wouldn't be motivated by this could be sent packing in the offseason.

I am just hoping that they prove all of the naysayers wrong and come out mean and with something to prove but lord I don't know if some of the guys on this team have it in them.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #718
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Talbot I thought started bleh and was way out of position on the first goal. I thought he settled down and got better as the game went on, which I think is to be expected seeing being in a real game after 4 months. Mentally it just looked like he was in a better place.

Rittch wasn't really tested, probably didn't see much more than 10 shots in his 30 mins he played. Difference was Rittich didn't bounce back and you could see him getting rattled. If I saw, you know everyone on the ice saw it.
Rittich "didn't bounce back"? There was only 3 mins left in the game. (Also, just because you think you saw something on your TV, it doesn't follow that anyone else saw the same thing.)

I think that the exhibition game didn't provide much useful information about Saturday's starter. Talbot settled in after a shaky start, and Rittich had barely any touches. It remains anyone's guess, but I still think Rittich starts on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #719
Cambardi
Backup Goalie

Exp:

These we're exhibition games...I can't stress enough that this one exhibition game per team is any real indicator of what we'll see come Saturday. TBH come Saturday...

Here's the thing that makes life so interesting: The Theory of Evolution claims that "only the strong shall survive". Maybe so, maybe so. But the Theory of Competition says "just because they're the strong doesn't mean they can't get their asses kicked". That's right. See, what every long shot come from behind underdog will tell you is this: The other guy may in fact be the favorite, the odds may be stacked against you. Fair enough... But what the odds don't know is this isn't a math test. This is a completely different kind of test. One where passion has a funny way of trumping logic. So before you step up to the starting line, before the whistle blows and the clock starts ticking, just remember: out here, the results don't always add up. No matter what the stats may say and the experts may think and the commentators may have predicted, when the race is on, all bets are off. Don't be surprised if someone decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling "Uncle". And then suddenly, as the old saying goes, "We got ourselves a game"

FLAMES IN 3.

Last edited by Cambardi; 07-30-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Cambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #720
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see how Winnipeg is the clear cut favourite. Ehlers got hurt last night, little isn't going to play, our D core has been picked apart by bad management and injuries. This is a 5 game series and anyone saying something different is trying to hedge against losing.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post: