Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #701
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Murray but it would be amazing to get both. There still might be a market for rugged defense men so hopefully Smid or Engelland can be dealt....
Old 02-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #702
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
IF we assume that the Flames are in on Drouin and Murray, with both TB and PITT wanting Russell. If you could only pick one which would you want Treliving to go for?
Those are a lot of assumptions. Not sure all of them would hold. But I'll play along. I'd rather we go for a top prospect goalie then a top prospect average sized super skilled winger.

We can probably get a player higher calibre than Drouin this draft with our 1st rounder. We can't solve our goaltending problems anytime soon without trading for one that is ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #703
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IF we assume that the Flames are in on Drouin and Murray, with both TB and PITT wanting Russell. If you could only pick one which would you want Treliving to go for?
Drouin easily. Murray is far from being a proven starter (Drouin also unproven but has a higher pedigree).

Honestly going after a similar goalie to Gillies is not what I want the flames to chase
Old 02-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #704
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I take Drouin over Murray every day. Murray could be the real deal but we have some other young promising goalies in the system. I am still of mind that Drouin will become a top line winger, capable of 80+ point seasons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #705
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

count me in the Drouin over Murray camp
Old 02-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #706
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely Murray. This season has really highlighted the fact that without goaltending, your team is dead in the water no matter how good your forward/defense is.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #707
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Drouin easily. Murray is far from being a proven starter (Drouin also unproven but has a higher pedigree).

Honestly going after a similar goalie to Gillies is not what I want the flames to chase
How so? Because of his draft position?

Murray is one of the top goalie prospects in the world. Drouin has shown nothing since he was drafted.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #708
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames need RW and Goalies. If the options were limited to LW and a goalie, I go goalie.

I still contend that there's more out there than Murray that the Flames can target though. Murray just appears to be at the top of the NHL ready list of the young up and comers.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #709
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post

Murray is one of the top goalie prospects in the world. Drouin has shown nothing since he was drafted.
Goalies are kind of tougher to predict. All signs point to Murray being a legit starter, but how do we know that for sure? You'd want a bigger sample size in the NHL to form a real judgement. Plus, he'd cost a decent amount.

Drouin scored at about a 0.5 PPG pace in TBL on the 4th line and his value is at an all time rock-bottom.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #710
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I take Drouin over Murray every day. Murray could be the real deal but we have some other young promising goalies in the system. I am still of mind that Drouin will become a top line winger, capable of 80+ point seasons.
We do need to find a goalie for today and the immediate future though.

If everything goes right with Gillies, he might be looking at getting some NHL starts in 2 years? That extends to 4-5 for MacDonald? Just not sure how you can write off acquiring a goalie when these guys are years and years away.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #711
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Goalies are kind of tougher to predict. All signs point to Murray being a legit starter, but how do we know that for sure? You'd want a bigger sample size in the NHL to form a real judgement. Plus, he'd cost a decent amount.

Drouin scored at about a 0.5 PPG pace in TBL on the 4th line and his value is at an all time rock-bottom.
Pretty sure a least half his games were on the top 2 lines
Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #712
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Flames need RW and Goalies. If the options were limited to LW and a goalie, I go goalie.

I still contend that there's more out there than Murray that the Flames can target though. Murray just appears to be at the top of the NHL ready list of the young up and comers.
If we move Bennett to center, we are pretty thin on LW too after Gaudreau, no?

I think we need two top 6 wingers.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ?????
??????? - Bennett - Frolik

Drouin could potentially fit in nicely on the 2nd line there.
Hopefully we get lucky and nab Matthews or a Finn in the lottery and put one of the finns on the first line wing. Man. Would be amazing.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #713
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Draft position is key. Murray had a great last year in the OHL and solid in the AHL since. Drouin was an extremely highly touted player drafted top 3 in an extremely deep top end of the draft. We have a Murray equivalent in Gillies, where we have virtually no prospects with top 6 upside in the system.

Flames need new goalies but not another 21 year old.

Drouin scored 3 more points in 3 less games after being drafted without first overall superstar Nathan Mackinnon on his team. Drouin has always been a late bloomer
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #714
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we somehow managed to land Drouin, we would still be in the market for a goalie. If we got Murray, I don't think there is the same need to land the LW prospect.

Obviously could use both, and there are other alternatives to address the G and top 6 issues for the Flames.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #715
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

If everything goes right with Gillies, he might be looking at getting some NHL starts in 2 years? That extends to 4-5 for MacDonald? Just not sure how you can write off acquiring a goalie when these guys are years and years away.
Murray is the same age as Gillies, drafted 8 spots after him
Old 02-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #716
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
We really don't.

As a matter of fact, the last thing we need is to have someone come in and light it up just so our draft position is weakened.

Of course make a deal if it's there to be made, but there isn't any urgency to get it done at this moment as opposed to in the summer.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #717
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Count me in for not wanting another goalie. I'd rather be a team built to be able to come back from behind. Having a great goalie would be excellent but all those years of Kipper really masked our offensive deficiencies.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #718
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Murray is the same age as Gillies, drafted 8 spots after him
Age is irrelevant, one is much closer to being NHL ready. Gillies is in his first year of pro, and lost the entire year to surgery. Murray is in his second year as a starter in the AHL.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #719
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Murray is 2~ years ahead of Gillies in development due to the CHL -> AHL path and the fact Gillies missed this whole year due to hip surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
We really don't.

As a matter of fact, the last thing we need is to have someone come in and light it up just so our draft position is weakened.

Of course make a deal if it's there to be made, but there isn't any urgency to get it done at this moment as opposed to in the summer.

Yes sorry for poor wording. I mean next year. Not the rest of this season
Old 02-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #720
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Age is irrelevant, one is much closer to being NHL ready. Gillies is in his first year of pro, and lost the entire year to surgery. Murray is in his second year as a starter in the AHL.
Does Murray decisively have a higher ceiling than Gillies? If not, is Murray decisively better right now than a stopgap like Reimer?

If the answer is no to both, then it's Drouin for me. I have way more interest in Drouin's ceiling than a mediocre stop-gap who's likely going to be passed by Gillies.

If the answer is yes to both, then... hmm. I don't know.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-22-2016 at 02:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread