Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #7141
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
One of my favourite parts of riding my eBike is seeing the look of pure confusion at how fast my 3 speed cruiser is going up a hill.
I yell at ebike riders for cheating. Why not just take a car if your bike is doing all the work?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #7142
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
I yell at ebike riders for cheating. Why not just take a car if your bike is doing all the work?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How am I cheating? I’m still riding, I’m still pedalling, I just don’t have to sweat my ass off when I ride against a constant headwind.

If you rode it, you’d instantly love it.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #7143
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not take a car? I'm assuming that is in jest, but if not, eBikes take cars off the road, allow people to get out and enjoy our pathways, allow people to commute whose commute would normally be too long for them, allow people with health issues to get out of their car, allow people to go grocery shopping and carry heavier loads with their bike etc. There are so many good things about eBikes which we should be encouraging. Yeah they are fast, and yeah they will pass you even though you are on a carbon road bike giving it your all, but the answer is not to encourage people to go back and drive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #7144
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Everything worth said. When my legs inevitably fail me I will be getting an ebike. Fewer cars is a good thing.

The only thing that bugs me about ebikes is when someone uses them and lets their rides be used on Strava leaderboards, but that's just my competitive nature.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #7145
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Why not take a car? I'm assuming that is in jest, but if not, eBikes take cars off the road, allow people to get out and enjoy our pathways, allow people to commute whose commute would normally be too long for them, allow people with health issues to get out of their car, allow people to go grocery shopping and carry heavier loads with their bike etc. There are so many good things about eBikes which we should be encouraging. Yeah they are fast, and yeah they will pass you even though you are on a carbon road bike giving it your all, but the answer is not to encourage people to go back and drive.

3 things:

1) if you are riding one of those homemade ones that resemble a motorcycle spewing out black smoke with your gasoline engine and you are blasting past me at 50-60 km/hr get off the paths.

2) Do not use strava.

3) I will always resent how easy it looks as they barely pedal into the headwind (clearly I could also jump onto a ebike, but I like exercise).

lol
Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #7146
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

1) This isn't an eBike though. It's a moped. When I think of eBike is those that you plug in, not one that needs gas.

2) I don't mind them using Strava to track their mileage. Just keep the data off the leaderboards.

3) Train harder.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #7147
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

3) Draft off KTrain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #7148
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Everything worth said. When my legs inevitably fail me I will be getting an ebike. Fewer cars is a good thing.

The only thing that bugs me about ebikes is when someone uses them and lets their rides be used on Strava leaderboards, but that's just my competitive nature.
I hide my segments from leaderboards for that reason.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #7149
kermitology

Exp:

I want to be able to ride to work and not need a shower when I get here. I ride the Nose Creek Trail headed North in the morning. If you've done that you know it is almost always featuring a nasty headwind that can stop you in your tracks and frankly takes all the fun out of riding.

I'm not using a throttle, just pedal assist and it helps take the edge off. I'm still doing west side bump and run (along the Winston golf course) and my heart rate is 168bpm. It's just taking me less time. I'm not in a race.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #7150
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This has to be my biggest pet peave with Strava. I know it shouldn't matter, but there are people who either through ignorance or first time will record their stuff under the wrong category (and maybe not even caring at all about leader boards) or else they'll record under 2 profiles (how they even do that with one device, I don't know) and take up 2 spots on the leader boards.

With running its pretty easy to figure out who recorded something under a cycling category instead of running (nobody is running 1 or 2 min kilometers), but biking is hard to figure out if somebody was driving or what.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #7151
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
else they'll record under 2 profiles (how they even do that with one device, I don't know) and take up 2 spots on the leader boards.
You can export ride files and share them with other accounts. I had to do it once when a friend I rode with me but his cycling computer died and didn't record the 100km+ ride.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #7152
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can export ride files and share them with other accounts. I had to do it once when a friend I rode with me but his cycling computer died and didn't record the 100km+ ride.

Oh. There is one person who does it regularly though, and its under the same name, just a different profile account. Maybe the older GPS devices track sync weirdly with Strava. I just find it irksome when you should have placed better on a segment but somebody is taking up 2 spots before you with an identical activity.

Speaking of stuff dying - are generators / dynamos still a thing? I used to have one a long time ago for my bike light, but it would be nice to have something to keep a phone or bike computer charged. I assume everybody just charges up stuff at home or the office and don't use generators anymore. At least I haven't seen anybody riding with one for a long time.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #7153
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Dynamo on my bikepacking rig. I don't think there is much benefit to one if you are commuting other than for bike lights. You don't generate enough to charge your phone in half an hour.

They are quite expensive and probably a bit overkill for around town. Lights these days last a long time and are bright and can be charged in a couple hours, so I charge my cycle computer and lights at home or in the office. The only time I really think a Dynamo is of use is in the backcountry to charge a battery.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #7154
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

the only time e bikers annoy me is when they zip past me without a warning. A bell or "on your left" would be nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #7155
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Let's try setting a date for the next CP Ride.

We'll try for a 100km ride with sub-800m climbing this time. 25km/h average should be good again. We were a little faster last year but it'd be cool to get more people out.

I set up a Doodle so we can see what everyone's availability is for the summer and into September. It'll help narrow down a date that works best for everyone.

https://doodle.com/poll/itey7wpgkiy43ezr
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #7156
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks Kevin. I am in.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #7157
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey guys/girls, I could use some help if anyone can offer an opinion.
Anyone have a bike with an Acera top pull derailleur? My Trek Xcaliber front derailleur has not been the same since it ‘popped’ oddly during a ride last year, and the cable tension was all gone. I had it at the shop I bought it from to get fixed up, and it’s never been the same. I think the tech just took the slack out of the cable and adjusted the indexing, which made it rideable at least.
When going to low gear, it doesn’t return all the way on its own, and doesn’t sit on the limiting screw. It’s been removed and soaked to rule out debris preventing it from returning.
The cable also used to sit nicely with the end of the cable tucked away. Since it was ‘fixed’ the end of the cable pokes out the side and rubs the crank in high gears. This makes me think the cable routine through the derailleur should be different than just straight into the lock screw, but I can’t figure out the proper routing for it. Sorry I don’t know to post a photo to illustrate.
If anyone has one of their own who could be so kind as to let me know how their cable is ran, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #7158
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ have you looked at any YouTube videos?

I would also suggest cleaning the whole shebang with some degreaser, and the lubing it with a dry type lube.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #7159
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The consensus date for the CP Group Ride is Saturday, August 25th. We'll start in the morning around 9am and finish up in the early afternoon for some lunch and beer.

Now we just need to pick a route. We can do a combination path and road ride if it helps get more people out for the ride. Does anyone have a route they like? Beginner/intermediate level. Some place we can start and finish near a pub/restaurant.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #7160
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tour de Calgary keeps it in the City and would have lots of options for lunch and beer. Or could combine the top half of Tour de Calgary with a detour out to Springbank to get on the road, but maybe this is a bit too much climbing? I'm up for anything.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2759931
Closed Thread