Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #7081
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trump must be a very charismatic person to be able to get so many around him to believe in the delusion. When is the last time a head-of-state had a cult like following?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #7082
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Trump must be a very charismatic person to be able to get so many around him to believe in the delusion. When is the last time a head-of-state had a cult like following?
It's both the cult and the 24/7 Grift-o-Thon cottage industry that has sprung up around him.

There are literally thousands of people who benefit -and will only continue to benefit if he remains a contested public figure- from Trump's public persona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #7083
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333851919316619264

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #7084
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are giving him too much credit.

I doubt many of them really believe in the delusion, but they believe in what it wants to achieve - a right wing authoritarian regime at any cost. I think most of them know that Trump is full of crap. They just like having someone in the White House that can help them get what they want and will play along.

Then there are some who are just finding a way to make money or further their careers either by supporting him or by capitalizing on the controversy. Just like how some stand-up comedians lamented that they didn't want the Bush era to end because it provided so much material, there are people who benefit from Trump's nonsense.

Then you have those who are in so deep that their careers basically go down with Trump, or may even get implicated in his crimes.

If we are just talking about the deplorables, then that just proves there are a lot of stupid people, but I doubt even most of them really believe him, but they want the same ends that he does. As George Carlin once said, think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

I recall watching a Vox video about why Putin and authoritarians in general can pretty much get away with saying anything they want, and they argued that the psychology at play has less to do with actually believing the lie, but rather an unconscious respect some people have for people that can say anything they want, regardless of whether there is truth in it. It is one of the ultimate shows of power to deny reality. It gets to the point that people even stop questioning whether it is a lie, because it doesn't matter. What matters is just the fact that the person has the power to do it with impunity. People then repeat those lies because they crave the same kind of power. The truth is no longer important at that point.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 12-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #7085
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's kind of the standard for that type of ruler. Currently active and more successful at it would be Modi.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #7086
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as least shocking news ever goes...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333896865880940544
Old 12-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #7087
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As far as least shocking news ever goes...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333896865880940544
Sorry Marco Rubio!

Actually though, I think once Trump no longer has the power of the office, other Republicans will start taking him down - ex. Never Trumpers, Lincoln Project.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #7088
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333863533365370881
Old 12-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #7089
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's got to suck if you're a Republican who had been aspiring to make a run for President in the coming years. I'm still unsure how long the support for Trump holds beyond 2021 and how large the contingent will be, but you've got to be beating yourself up if you spent the last four years backing Trump up and taking part in the elevation of Trump to his current status among his supporters, unknowingly screwing your political career aspirations along the way.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #7090
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Americans are not okay.

NSFW for language and horrible sentiments.

NSFW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #7091
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNN reporting the Justice Department is investigating a charge of exchanging money for a pardon!!

I mean it doesnt surprise me in the least in fact as I'm on the fat arse's mailing list I'm honestly surprised it hasn't come up as an offer on my facebook page

2 for 1 pardon's!!, do you want a real 'get out of jail free' card? just send 9.99 to Trump enterprises, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Old 12-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #7092
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It's got to suck if you're a Republican who had been aspiring to make a run for President in the coming years. I'm still unsure how long the support for Trump holds beyond 2021 and how large the contingent will be, but you've got to be beating yourself up if you spent the last four years backing Trump up and taking part in the elevation of Trump to his current status among his supporters, unknowingly screwing your political career aspirations along the way.
I wouldn't feel sorry for any of the folks that hitched their wagon to Trump. His brand of politics was 100% toxic, if those politicians thought that was the path to victory, then let them soak in the wake of defeat.

Trump's show has been cancelled. His influence will fade and he'll struggle to stay relevant to continue the grift.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #7093
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Former campaign manager for Trump, Brad Parscale, was interviewed by Fox News today.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #7094
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Former campaign manager for Trump, Brad Parscale, was interviewed by Fox News today.

Wasn't he just in a drunken, armed standoff with a SWAT team a few weeks ago?
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #7095
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sorry Marco Rubio!

Actually though, I think once Trump no longer has the power of the office, other Republicans will start taking him down - ex. Never Trumpers, Lincoln Project.
It's tough to get the party back when Trump has the overwhelming majority of support within the party. They'll have to pay him off to go away or something, otherwise there isn't an easy way out of Trump world. You can't win with him in general elections, and you can't win going against him in primaries.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #7096
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Possible pardons for the entire crime family. Nothing to see here.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333947981444358145
Old 12-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #7097
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The grift that keeps on giving.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333763476683165696
Old 12-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #7098
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

How specific do pardons have to be? Does he have to mention the crimes that they committed in order to be pardoned for them?
Old 12-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #7099
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
How specific do pardons have to be? Does he have to mention the crimes that they committed in order to be pardoned for them?
No one knows. It has never been tested.

Ford pardoned Nixon pre-emptively, generally around Watergate, but ultimately he was never charged so there was never clarity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #7100
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
My thought is that the textualists of the Supreme Court would argue that the only limitation on Pardons is that it can’t be used in cases of impeachment. So the founders gave a clear remedy, impeach then prosecute. Now one could if one could Pardon oneself for all crimes that may have been committed that would take away the ability of impeachment then prosecution to be the remedy.

So it would be an interesting case.

The only example of a generic Pardon is Nixon by Ford and it was never tested.
Closed Thread