Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2023, 11:39 PM   #7061
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Yoho’s answer would probably depend on whether or not that type of health care is public or private.
I'd love to hear his answer but I doubt Yoho will tell us anything.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:42 AM   #7062
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think as long as the money is going to a private business and not a private person, he would be ok with it
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:28 AM   #7063
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alberta government names 5 new members to Preston Manning-led COVID review panel:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9495757/a...-review-panel/
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #7064
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Alberta government names 5 new members to Preston Manning-led COVID review panel:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9495757/a...-review-panel/
Oh Jack Mintz of course.

Seriously, just save the money for the review panel and publish whatever garbage the UCP believe. Not even trying to make it look like a legitimate review.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 06:46 PM   #7065
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Since this is making the rounds:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1626805017108946946

The program of the trail pass was flawed from the start (just have a Provincial Park Pass, same as a National Park Pass), but at the same time we all really knew it was never about doing things properly.

The thread focuses a lot on the Kananaskis pass money basically being the same as this money, but the main issue is that the promised Trail Fee that was part of the UCPs election platform was scrapped under the guise that off-road users already paid vehicle registration for money that would go to conservation. So having $4.5M in revenue earmarked for conservation from reg fees, then giving $8M to build trails for use while also not charging for use is the bigger issue. So regardless of the specifics of where the money is coming from, what is certain is that OHV users are being significantly subsidized for the damage they do.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 09:41 PM   #7066
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ The whole OHV + Kananaskis Pass issue is a perfect example of the UCP robbing regular citizens to pay off their base. Every Calgarian who has bought a pass (which was pitched as being needed to fund conservation) should be asking for a refund.

First, instead of listening to the public, they pigheadedly push ahead and double down in the face of public outcry. And secondly (and this is also a pattern with them), they rob regular Albertans to pay off their political base.

Whether it's park fees, taxes, or royalty money, the UCP is really only interested in enriching its base. They do so off the backs of regular Albertans and they're so entitled after 40 years of PC dynasty that they cannot be held to account either.

Last edited by Flames0910; 02-18-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 11:42 PM   #7067
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Since this is making the rounds:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1626805017108946946

The program of the trail pass was flawed from the start (just have a Provincial Park Pass, same as a National Park Pass), but at the same time we all really knew it was never about doing things properly.

The thread focuses a lot on the Kananaskis pass money basically being the same as this money, but the main issue is that the promised Trail Fee that was part of the UCPs election platform was scrapped under the guise that off-road users already paid vehicle registration for money that would go to conservation. So having $4.5M in revenue earmarked for conservation from reg fees, then giving $8M to build trails for use while also not charging for use is the bigger issue. So regardless of the specifics of where the money is coming from, what is certain is that OHV users are being significantly subsidized for the damage they do.
But the dummies that love damaging ecosystems and being **** in nature are the ones that vote UCP. So therefore, families and nature respecting Albertans pay, while rednecks get subsidized.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #7068
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But the dummies that love damaging ecosystems and being **** in nature are the ones that vote UCP. So therefore, families and nature respecting Albertans pay, while rednecks get subsidized.
From a Smitty perspective...its brilliant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #7069
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got door knocked by the NDP candidate in my area. Kind of nice since the election hasn’t been called yet and I didn’t get knocked by the previous candidate the whole election. She seemed passionate and qualified. Was a good visit.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 12:04 PM   #7070
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Got door knocked by the NDP candidate in my area. Kind of nice since the election hasn’t been called yet and I didn’t get knocked by the previous candidate the whole election. She seemed passionate and qualified. Was a good visit.
We got something similar. They were somewhat apprehensive towards the suggestion that if they lose to the UCP I expect them to take up armed resistance and overthrow the establishment through violent revolution.

Then its nothing but excuses!

Like: "We dont do that sort of thing" or "Thats not how we operate."

Are you in this to win this or not??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 12:07 PM   #7071
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have friends running in my riding for the UCP and NDP. Both are out door knocking already.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #7072
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm signing up on the AB NDP website for a lawn sign, and I'll throw a donation their way too. Sh-t, I'm tempted to sign up to volunteer at an event at this point.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 01:32 PM   #7073
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm signing up on the AB NDP website for a lawn sign, and I'll throw a donation their way too. Sh-t, I'm tempted to sign up to volunteer at an event at this point.
Well...why dont you just dye your hair orange, put on some weight and wear a red tie all the time?

Wait...some of that is going in the wrong direction. Nevermind.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:49 PM   #7074
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I have friends running in my riding for the UCP and NDP. Both are out door knocking already.
Well, I think she legally has to call an election prior to May right?

So yeah, nows the time to be knocking on doors, because even though it hasnt been announced and Smith is almost certainly going to try and pull whatever fast-one she's got loaded in the chamber, its coming, we all know its coming, best be prepared.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:16 PM   #7075
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Kananaskis OHV thing is interesting because it's been reported as the park fees going toward it, but there's no correlation at all, this is money allocated from the budget. Those organizations are also great at conservation and punishing the hell out of anyone that goes off trail, especially around water crossings.

The handling of the park pass has been a joke from the start and deserves every ounce of criticism, but the outrage over this money going there is silly. Those trails have been there for decades, this isn't anything new.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 02:45 PM   #7076
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I thought that technically she didn’t need to until the following year, maybe I misread that somewhere though
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:27 PM   #7077
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

So yeah, nows the time to be knocking on doors, because even though it hasnt been announced and Smith is almost certainly going to try and pull whatever fast-one she's got loaded in the chamber, its coming, we all know its coming, best be prepared.
It's a UCP law that there is a fixed-election date and it's May 29th. Could they find an excuse and good reason why that shouldn't be met? Probably. It would be quite a gamble unless they could find some kind of scapegoat reason that they can't possibly go to the polls this spring.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #7078
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
it's a ucp law that there is a fixed-election date and it's may 29th. Could they find an excuse and good reason why that shouldn't be met? Probably. It would be quite a gamble unless they could find some kind of scapegoat reason that they can't possibly go to the polls this spring.
covid
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:56 PM   #7079
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The Kananaskis OHV thing is interesting because it's been reported as the park fees going toward it, but there's no correlation at all, this is money allocated from the budget. Those organizations are also great at conservation and punishing the hell out of anyone that goes off trail, especially around water crossings.

The handling of the park pass has been a joke from the start and deserves every ounce of criticism, but the outrage over this money going there is silly. Those trails have been there for decades, this isn't anything new.
The park pass was designed with the money raised going directly to general revenue. Many criticized the lack of reporting, oversight and transparency but the UCP put in the ear plugs and rammed it through anyway.

So IMO it’s perfectly fair to criticize when trail groups that aren’t paying fees suddenly get millions of dollars while trail groups that do pay fees settle for pennies instead. Also the pass was billed as being needed to support conservation but has there been any measurable improvement in conservation in Kananaskis country?

People are right to be outraged when not only is there no evidence of their dollars being used effectively, but also when there is a sense that the dollars are being mismanaged. We’ll never be able to prove that dollar A was spent on program B (and that’s by design) but the sense of inequity is clear.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 04:00 PM   #7080
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Me too. I’ve never volunteered in an election but this is a big one. My riding is likely orange but if I can help with a nearby riding I’m in. Have already donated and plan to get a nice big sign too. With Calgary shaping up as the key battleground us CP’ers need to do our part!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post: