Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 01:40 AM   #7061
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
This is basically his own staff NY Times walking sleepy Joe out.
Dusting off the knifes looks like the end game is near.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/04/u...urity.amp.html

“ As President Biden and his administration have told it in recent months, America has the fastest-growing economy in the world, his student debt forgiveness program passed Congress by a vote or two, and Social Security benefits became more generous thanks to his leadership.”
“None of that was accurate.”
You missed a really good response from MaritimeQscout on the last page. He was asking if you could respond to him.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 07:26 AM   #7062
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

A chilling piece that yet again proves the GOP an their conservative backers are an existential threat to democracy.

Homeland Security Admits It Tried to Manufacture Fake Terrorists for Trump

https://www.yahoo.com/news/homeland-...114500599.html

Full DHS report available here.

https://www.wyden.senate.gov/imo/med...%20Reports.pdf

DHS was weaponized to try and manufacture evidence of terrorist activities and membership in such organizations of the people involved and arrested in Portland as a result of the protests against racial inequity.

"...in the course of the investigation, the review uncovered the practice of using Operational Background Reports (OBRs, colloquially “baseball cards”) to create dossiers on USPERs arrested by federal authorities in Portland. Significant irregularities apparently existed regarding this practice given the collection, retention and potential dissemination of USPI regarding persons arrested for offenses seemingly unrelated to homeland security."

How is this acceptable?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #7063
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You missed a really good response from MaritimeQscout on the last page. He was asking if you could respond to him.
I commend you for trying to have an honest conversation here but do you really expect a rational, well-thought out response? There are plenty of conservative people that don't fall for and parrot the Alt-Right lies. Others seem to gleefully lose the ability and/or will to think for themselves. They get hooked by the right-wing propaganda network that seems to permeate the political, business and media landscape throughout the world. Most reasonable people look at the facts as objectively as they can and then draw a conclusion based on the evidence. Others start with the conclusion and then twist (or even manufacture) the facts to suit their conclusion. It's a sad reflection of the human condition but ultimately boring. The interesting question, at least to me, is why are they like this? It seems like there are two probable broad options:

1- This is a learned mindset: They were raised in an environment where these toxic notions were forced fed to them and is now part of their identity. This could be either through their developmental years or they fell down the Alt-Right rabbit hole at some point. Or it could be their livelihood depends on ignoring certain evidence that doesn't fit the narrative they're trying to stuff themselves into.

2- They are an agent of the propaganda who may or may not believe the lies they share but benefit from it.

If Yoho falls in the first category I feel sorry for him in that he is essentially living in ignorance and is a puppet of the people who actually benefit from the lies. Anecdotally, I've found that only a really significant (and unfortunately painful) incident that is undeniable is likely to awaken someone from this type of intellectual stupor. I would like to believe that these people are not a lost cause and it's worth trying to engage in dialogue with them. However, Yoho doesn't seem to want to engage in dialogue but rather just spreads the propaganda and then disappears. In which case, it seems like he falls in the latter category. If so, than he is not only not worth engaging in honest conversation, but it is best to ignore him so as not to give me any more platform than he already has. Stickman also seems to fall in this category.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #7064
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump decided on the weekend to attack DeSantis, calling him "DeSanctimonious", which he probably predicted would go better than it has.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1589274932651098112
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #7065
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I commend you for trying to have an honest conversation here but do you really expect a rational, well-thought out response? There are plenty of conservative people that don't fall for and parrot the Alt-Right lies. Others seem to gleefully lose the ability and/or will to think for themselves. They get hooked by the right-wing propaganda network that seems to permeate the political, business and media landscape throughout the world. Most reasonable people look at the facts as objectively as they can and then draw a conclusion based on the evidence. Others start with the conclusion and then twist (or even manufacture) the facts to suit their conclusion. It's a sad reflection of the human condition but ultimately boring. The interesting question, at least to me, is why are they like this? It seems like there are two probable broad options:

1- This is a learned mindset: They were raised in an environment where these toxic notions were forced fed to them and is now part of their identity. This could be either through their developmental years or they fell down the Alt-Right rabbit hole at some point. Or it could be their livelihood depends on ignoring certain evidence that doesn't fit the narrative they're trying to stuff themselves into.

2- They are an agent of the propaganda who may or may not believe the lies they share but benefit from it.

If Yoho falls in the first category I feel sorry for him in that he is essentially living in ignorance and is a puppet of the people who actually benefit from the lies. Anecdotally, I've found that only a really significant (and unfortunately painful) incident that is undeniable is likely to awaken someone from this type of intellectual stupor. I would like to believe that these people are not a lost cause and it's worth trying to engage in dialogue with them. However, Yoho doesn't seem to want to engage in dialogue but rather just spreads the propaganda and then disappears. In which case, it seems like he falls in the latter category. If so, than he is not only not worth engaging in honest conversation, but it is best to ignore him so as not to give me any more platform than he already has. Stickman also seems to fall in this category.
It's still important to engage in good faith, even if the other is a troll (not saying that Yoho is).

The reason being, the discussion isn't had in a vacuum. It's important for others to hear and understand the conversation.

I love this scene as it partly explains what I try to do when I engage. I say partly, as if new information does arise, I'll reassess my position.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #7066
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing reports of armed poll watchers at various counties throughout Murica. The freest country in the world, amirite?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1587469012459560960
Old 11-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #7067
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The American democracy experiment is pretty much dead. Their democracy is circling the drain. One can only hope it doesn’t drag all the other functioning democratic countries down with it.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #7068
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Seeing reports of armed poll watchers at various counties throughout Murica. The freest country in the world, amirite?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1587469012459560960
While I don't agree with this disgusting behavior.

Is it really intimidating?

It's secret ballot. You're just dropping off a sealed envelope (if I'm not mistaken).

Sure the 'watchers' are armed. But like, isn't everyone? It's Arizona!

I'm not trying to make fun, but is it really *that* abnormal? Which is a sad indictment of society as a whole as opposed to this incident.

Like, is it that different from going to Target?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:49 PM   #7069
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes to all
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #7070
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished early voting.

A pretty important moment, this could be the last democratic vote in American history, and I was there for it!
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #7071
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

A pretty important moment, this could be the last democratic vote in American history, and I was there for it!
Oh there will always be elections in the US, they just won't matter once states get to ignore the votes and change their electoral votes to whatever they want
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 04:13 PM   #7072
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Oh there will always be elections in the US, they just won't matter once states get to ignore the votes and change their electoral votes to whatever they want
Hence why I specified "last democratic vote".
Old 11-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #7073
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

It's secret ballot. You're just dropping off a sealed envelope (if I'm not mistaken).

I'm not trying to make fun, but is it really *that* abnormal? Which is a sad indictment of society as a whole as opposed to this incident.

Well, an actual Arizona resident at 0:41 seconds said if she had known people with guns would be there, she wouldn't have gone there to vote...
Old 11-06-2022, 04:31 PM   #7074
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Did you see any dressed up poll watchers where you voted? Or people playing cosplay obviously trying to intimidate?
Old 11-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #7075
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Voting is an exercise in social trust, you are trusting that those counting will be honest, you are trusting that those who do not win will accept the results, you are trusting that a large enough group of people will choose someone acceptable, if necessary you are trusting your anonymity will be protects.

When you you see clear signals that the first 3 are being broken, when you are have people people brandishing weapons in your face, it becomes a lot harder to trust in the forth and stare these nutcases down.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #7076
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Voting is an exercise in social trust, you are trusting that those counting will be honest, you are trusting that those who do not win will accept the results, you are trusting that a large enough group of people will choose someone acceptable, if necessary you are trusting your anonymity will be protects.

When you you see clear signals that the first 3 are being broken, when you are have people people brandishing weapons in your face, it becomes a lot harder to trust in the forth and stare these nutcases down.
Exactly this. It gives the impression that the one side, which is armed and has a clear political agenda, won't accept anything but a win for themselves. It's implied that things will get violent if they don't win. Some people might feel compelled to change their vote or not participate at all out of fear. These people know exactly what they are doing are trying to affect the outcome of the election by "guarding" the ballot boxes. I would probably think twice about voting with a terroristy looking guy standing right there.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #7077
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Did you see any dressed up poll watchers where you voted? Or people playing cosplay obviously trying to intimidate?
No, just the normal election workers: Old people who believe in civic duty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #7078
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:

Depends, do you want to drop off a few ballots for you and your family and then have a video of you doing so put up on the Internet and then used in a movie by right wing nut jobs saying you're a mule? Then have to go into hiding because the mob IDs you in the video and starts making threats?

Ask Ruby Freeman how she feels about how that kind of thing goes.

In theory it's fine-ish, but when a large portion of one party believes the last election was fraudulent and that they're called to defend America with their 1st Amendment rights it's a recipe for escalation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 08:40 PM   #7079
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trumpism is a cult. Confirmed.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...anson-missouri
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:58 PM   #7080
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
That doesn’t require confirmation. It’s the most dangerous cult ever.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote