Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #7041
Knut

Exp:

What in Trelivings recent history has made people think he will overpay Bennett as an RFA. His RFA contracts have all been golden
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #7042
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

True, highly unlikely, Brayden Point or David Pastrnak get dealt.

Besides Taylor Hall, Mark Stone, and William Nylander possibly being available, I wonder if
Aleksander Barkov or Sebastian Aho are thinking of moving on.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #7043
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It is strange to me that some fans are so upset about having a 22 year old player who is on pace for a 30 point season. Obviously it would be nice if he was a world beater, but an affordable 3 line player who brings the heat in contested games is good enough for me.

People are still upset due to his draft position. I'm sure we would all be ecstatic if he was a 4th round pick.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #7044
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
What in Trelivings recent history has made people think he will overpay Bennett as an RFA. His RFA contracts have all been golden
I agree, his RFA signings have all been great.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #7045
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
One can dream... a Brodie package for

Taylor Hall
Mark Stone
Brayden Point
David Pastrnak
William Nylander
Trading your #2 Dman amidst the great season the team is having and the career season his D partner is having would be moronic.

You didn't even suggest we trade for another Dman to replace him. It's akin to suggesting we trade Rittich for a forward.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #7046
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Bennett is the current 198th ranked forward in terms of point per game and having played 35 games.

198 forwards / 31 teams puts him at player 6.3 on the average NHL club which is exactly where he is in Calgary in rotating with Frolik between the 2nd and 3rd line.

The 198th ranked forward has an average AAV of $2.86M

Sam Bennett makes $1.9M

The fact that he drives play and is hinting at more production is a bonus. Will he ever dig into this potential and start finishing more? Probably not, but a contract around $2.75M isn't absurd as the player is doing just fine at those levels and is a bit of a bargain this year.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #7047
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
No one should "be upset" at having him or someone like him. Like i said, every team in the league needs a couple or 3 of them. He also has that sandpaper/greasiness to him that I personally love in a player.

Where the problem lies is in what some are suggesting he be paid, and then others suggesting that those who watch him just like they do apply "unjust negativity". Sorry, nothing negative about calling Bennett what he is...average.

When I see suggestions of paying him 3 or more million a year, i cringe. For what earthly reason? Certainly not for what he has shown to this point.
These are fair points. However, 3 million AAV is par for the course for young forwards who put up 30 points. A quick search on cap friendly shows that lots of comparable players get paid that much

Cody Eakin 3,850,000
Jean-Gabriel Pageau 3,100,000
André Burakovsky $3,000,000
Marcus Foligno $2,875,000
Conor Sheary $3,000,000

All of these players are under 27, and scored no more than 30 points last season. Granted, a lot of teams have gotten better value for their 3 million, but those are mostly older deals. The cap is going up, 3 Mill simply does not buy you as much as it used to.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #7048
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
People are still upset due to his draft position. I'm sure we would all be ecstatic if he was a 4th round pick.
This is the root of the issue for sure. At best Bennett is just below average against historical 4th over all picks.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...order_by=round

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 01-15-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo city
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #7049
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
No one should "be upset" at having him or someone like him. Like i said, every team in the league needs a couple or 3 of them. He also has that sandpaper/greasiness to him that I personally love in a player.

Where the problem lies is in what some are suggesting he be paid, and then others suggesting that those who watch him just like they do apply "unjust negativity". Sorry, nothing negative about calling Bennett what he is...average.

When I see suggestions of paying him 3 or more million a year, i cringe. For what earthly reason? Certainly not for what he has shown to this point.

Brace yourself then ... he's pretty much producing exactly at the $3M level
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #7050
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Bennett is the current 198th ranked forward in terms of point per game and having played 35 games.

198 forwards / 31 teams puts him at player 6.3 on the average NHL club which is exactly where he is in Calgary in rotating with Frolik between the 2nd and 3rd line.

The 198th ranked forward has an average AAV of $2.86M

Sam Bennett makes $1.9M

The fact that he drives play and is hinting at more production is a bonus. Will he ever dig into this potential and start finishing more? Probably not, but a contract around $2.75M isn't absurd as the player is doing just fine at those levels and is a bit of a bargain this year.

NHL.com has him listed at .36 ppg and tied for 254th among forwards in that category. An 8.1 average as you calculate it. The 254th F has an AAV of 1.4 million.

Or i am doing something wrong which is entirely possible.

So yes at 1.9 he is fine/slightly overpaid but beyond that you have to start to be careful.

Last edited by transplant99; 01-15-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #7051
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This is the root of the issue for sure. At best Bennett is just below average against historical 4th round picks.

So our first round pick is more like a fourth rounder. Seems like we have some little guy who was a fourth round pick who plays like a first rounder. Evens out to me!

As long as Bennett is useful on the team, and paid appropriately, I don't mind him one bit. He brings some snarl that I wish a lot more players had.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #7052
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully Treliving doesn't see him as a 3M player.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #7053
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Brace yourself then ... he's pretty much producing exactly at the $3M level
That analysis doesn’t really factor in RFA vs UFA. If Bennett could create a bidding war with other teams then I could definitely see him getting 3 million plus on the open market.

But assuming he stays below 30 points, what arbitrator is going to give him that award?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #7054
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do tell.

He has had every chance a young player could ask for....and failed repeatedly. 1st line/2nd line/PP time...and squat.

Also, Bennetts play this season? He is a border line 3rd line winger who, for the 4th consecutive season, is on pace to post offensive numbers that put him right with Brock McGinn, Blake Comeau, and Matt Calvert.

Fancy stats darling or not, he is just a very mediocre/average NHL winger which all teams need of course, but you certainly dont pay big for them.

What is that worth?

Im thinking 1.75 for a 3 year term and if he improves, then they pay him or he walks.
This seems to be the primary reason for the Bennett hate. Basing his value entirely on his point totals won't give you a very good impression of the player. Neither really will full season fancy stats give anything but the partial picture.

He is one of the only forward players on the team who will put as much effort into preventing a goal as scoring one.

His hits, chirping and energy has turned the tide of a game on more than a few occasions.

Although he is a winger, he can slide into the middle and is a good faceoff man.

All in all, if I were to say that we had the bastard baby of stephan yelle and Ville neimimen on the team, and there was still a 20 percent chance he could break out offensively and be a star, everyone should be losing losing their minds with happiness that he's on the team.

Everyone please forget that he was fourth overall, and look at the player.

I apologize for this having nothing to do with this thread.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #7055
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is the root of the issue for sure. At best Bennett is just below average against historical 4th round picks.

4th round? Or 4th overall?

Your chart is about 4th overall picks.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #7056
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
These are fair points. However, 3 million AAV is par for the course for young forwards who put up 30 points. A quick search on cap friendly shows that lots of comparable players get paid that much

Cody Eakin 3,850,000
Jean-Gabriel Pageau 3,100,000
André Burakovsky $3,000,000
Marcus Foligno $2,875,000
Conor Sheary $3,000,000

All of these players are under 27, and scored no more than 30 points last season. Granted, a lot of teams have gotten better value for their 3 million, but those are mostly older deals. The cap is going up, 3 Mill simply does not buy you as much as it used to.
Best comparable offensively to Bennett there is Foligno. None of the others signed their deals off of three sub-30 point seasons in a row. Some guys had significantly more production to their credit (Sheary had a 55 point season etc.)

I think that more proves that Bennett SHOULDN’T get three million if he produces less than 30 points three seasons in a row.
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #7057
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Trading your #2 Dman amidst the great season the team is having and the career season his D partner is having would be moronic.

You didn't even suggest we trade for another Dman to replace him. It's akin to suggesting we trade Rittich for a forward.
Actually, I was thinking Andersson would then join the top pairing.

Mark Giordano - Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic
Juuso Välimäki - Michael Stone
Oliver Kylington - Dalton Prout

+ Flames are looking for depth D man apparently.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #7058
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
4th round? Or 4th overall?

Your chart is about 4th overall picks.
Whoops typo.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #7059
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
NHL.com has him listed at .36 ppg and tied for 254th among forwards in that category. An 8.1 average as you calculate it. The 254th F has an AAV of 1.4 million.

Or i am doing something wrong which is entirely possible.

So yes at 1.9 he is fine/slightly overpaid but beyond that you have to start to be careful.
He was 209th in straight points, you're probably right on straight on points per game, but I filtered out players that have played less than 35 games to get a better number.

But bottom line ... 209 straight up is forward 6.8 so it doesn't change the narrative.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #7060
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
That analysis doesn’t really factor in RFA vs UFA. If Bennett could create a bidding war with other teams then I could definitely see him getting 3 million plus on the open market.

But assuming he stays below 30 points, what arbitrator is going to give him that award?
Totally fair ...

But in the argument of range I think a 29 point season still gets him 2.5-2.75 and it shouldn't cause a panic or a rush to use the word "bust"
Closed Thread